Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jeff Rumson

Custom skates

I just received my total custom plus skates from CCM . This is my second year in a row getting custom CCM skates both are AS1s . One of the options I chose was lace locks . The skates arrived with out the locks . CCM has offer a free stick of my choice or to remake the skates . I am Choosing to have them do a remake . On my first customs last year I had doubts that the high pressure high heat 360 degree mold that they state they perform actually gets done . The skates did not have any signs of any type of molding process at all . No folds , curves or any type of indentations at all . No big deal I molded them a few times and they are the best fitting skates I’ve ever had . How ever I was still curious . I saw some videos on line talking about CCM custom skates but when they mention the special high pressure mold process witch is done with the custom foot lasts of your feet that they supposedly make , they says it’s a secret and they can’t show us the process . So , on my most recent customs I had the sales associate , who is also my son make a note in the comments section on the I pad requesting the foot lasts to be shipped with the skates . Well they did not send the foot lasts and again there was absolutely no sign of any mold performed what so ever . I love CCM products and have no particular issue with CCM , but isn’t this a big claim to make , to have this highly secretive elaborate process that doesn’t really appear to happen ??? PS my son also last Year did the lower level custom AS1s where that’s all they do is take a stock skate and perform the high pressure mold and charge a $100 on top of base price . Same thing when he got the skates they looked no different than one off the shelf . 
Any thoughts or comments . Anyone have the same or different experience ?

I've always wondered if any of the custom skates were truly build around a 3D printed last of the foot.  My son has custom 2S Pros, he loves them and they fit well and they didn't look to be molded when they came.

I’ve seen Bauer customs for someone with weird ankles, and you could see the weird shape in the scans and the boots. My Bauer customs have a close fit. I was (incorrectly) scanned with Bauer compression socks on, and the toes are indeed a bit tighter than I would like. So I believe they use custom lasts. 

6 hours ago, Jeff Rumson said:

So , on my most recent customs I had the sales associate , who is also my son make a note in the comments section on the I pad requesting the foot lasts to be shipped with the skates.

If they are so secretive about the process that they are using that they won't allow it to be captured on video, why would they be inclined to send you their custom foot lasts that could help to further indicate to a competitor said secretive manufacturing process?

• Like 1

They do send sample foot lasts to the retailers , I have seen those they are a very lite weight foam . So I wouldn’t think they would be concerned about people seeing the foot last and thinking that would give away the actual process . But also like I had stated there is no evidence when looking at the skates that they went through any type of molding at all . When you buy a pair of off the shelf skates and heat mold them to your foot just once you can see where they take some sort of shape. The facings will have a fold over appearance . The interior foams will have some indentation where your ankle bones line up . Etc....

I don’t get the point of this thread. You’re upset that a) CCM won’t show you any details of their proprietary process and b) you’re upset about how perfect the skates are?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JONES199 said:

Isn't the question if the skates are built to a 3D last of your foot why would you need to bake them?

The 3D mold is going to mirror the shape of your foot, but not the combination of hard and softer structures, nor can it account for the sensitivities of various parts of your foot in respect to the pressure the skate is applying.

And I echo the question, what is the point?  A lot of conclusions or suggestions being thrown about based on questionable observations...

• Like 1

They do send sample foot lasts to the retailers , I have seen those they are a very lite weight foam . So I wouldn’t think they would be concerned about people seeing the foot last and thinking that would give away the actual process . But also like I had stated there is no evidence when looking at the skates that they went through any type of molding at all . When you buy a pair of off the shelf skates and heat mold them to your foot just once you can see where they take some sort of shape. The facings will have a fold over appearance . The interior foams will have some indentation where your ankle bones line up . Etc....

No I don’t need to see their process . I’m just saying there is no sign of any molding performed to the skates  . Yes the skates I had custom made last year fit well . I had heat molding them a few times . But isn’t it kind of a big claim for CCM to makes if there is actually no said molding process being performed ??

you can see evidence when a skate has been heat molded to a persons foot  , and I’ve seen none in three separate cases 

just saying 

Maybe they're just molding the heel and lower foot area? That's a common heat molding step in the factory. The standard approach would be to heat mold it to a standard footlast. In this case, they'd be doing it to a custom one. But this isn't the lace-em-up heating that affects the facing. It's the one that presses the boot down around a mold to give it an anatomical shape. The top form would still come after the customer receives them. Look at some hockey skate factory videos and you'll see the process I'm talking about. My guess is that's the forming that's being done, and it would be beneficial to have this rather than the skate take its initial and much more permanent shape from a custom last rather than a standard one, probably more so for some than others.

I thought there's a video out there roughly showing the process in the CCM factory, even showing the bajillion random lasts they have floating around?? In fact I swear I saw the video which was linked in a thread on this website.

I mean... do you want you skates to look all indented and janky? If they fit awesome, then... job well done, no?

2 hours ago, Jeff Rumson said:

But isn’t it kind of a big claim for CCM to makes if there is actually no said molding process being performed ??

Yes, obviously if they are saying they are molding them and aren’t then it’s a pretty big false claim. The problem is that there is absolutely zero evidence to suggest that they aren’t. 

1 hour ago, flip12 said:

Maybe they're just molding the heel and lower foot area? That's a common heat molding step in the factory. The standard approach would be to heat mold it to a standard footlast. In this case, they'd be doing it to a custom one. But this isn't the lace-em-up heating that affects the facing. It's the one that presses the boot down around a mold to give it an anatomical shape. The top form would still come after the customer receives them. Look at some hockey skate factory videos and you'll see the process I'm talking about. My guess is that's the forming that's being done, and it would be beneficial to have this rather than the skate take its initial and much more permanent shape from a custom last rather than a standard one, probably more so for some than others.

Pretty sure you're correct.  If you look at the linked video, you can see it is basically a big U clamp around the heel and ankles.  The facing and forefoot are not touched.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D2_dPZY3XH8c&ved=2ahUKEwjM4MGov9vlAhVEU98KHWGpCv8QwqsBMAN6BAgGEAc&usg=AOvVaw1DQyM2g8aZckrY_JK6952h

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, boo10 said:

Pretty sure you're correct.  If you look at the linked video, you can see it is basically a big U clamp around the heel and ankles.  The facing and forefoot are not touched.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D2_dPZY3XH8c&ved=2ahUKEwjM4MGov9vlAhVEU98KHWGpCv8QwqsBMAN6BAgGEAc&usg=AOvVaw1DQyM2g8aZckrY_JK6952h

Yes, that’s exactly the machine I was thinking of. I don’t know what it’s called but it’s in all of the hockey skate factory videos I’ve seen with the exception of VH.

It might not be as apparent that the skate is custom molded for that process unless the order is for someone with a heel that deviates from the norm by quite a bit.

Even if they were built to a last of your foot, you'd still need to bake them to form the tongue and interior foams. If that is what we are talking about...

The only diff between the total custom and 3d custom is the additional customization you can get done including diff skate size. The actual moulding process around the custom foot last is exactly the same. Just like Bauer, CCM isn't "built" around your foot last. It's essentially baking on steroids. The boot formed around a last made from your scan. 

• Like 1

Is the issue resolved ? I seem to remember people complaining about total custom by CCM not producing a great end result. Saying scanning sitting (as opposed to scanning standing) would not reflect the foot shape while one the ice due to the body weight.
I'd love to get a pair of fully custom AS1, but I haven't seen many reviews.

On 11/22/2019 at 10:40 PM, jared9356 said:

Has anyone here had experience they can share with MyBauer customs? Specifically 2S Pros or 2X Pros?

Yea I have custom 2X pro, coming for retail 1X, the process is easy and fast. The scan said I was a perfect match for vapor. I got the skates in about 13 business days. They are the most comfortable best fitting skates I’ve ever had. No complaints from me.

On 11/28/2019 at 1:27 PM, sbecks72986 said:

Yea I have custom 2X pro, coming for retail 1X, the process is easy and fast. The scan said I was a perfect match for vapor. I got the skates in about 13 business days. They are the most comfortable best fitting skates I’ve ever had. No complaints from me.

13 business days?! That was really quick. When did you place your order? I placed my order on Tuesday (11/26) and the staff told me the waiting time is about 6-8 weeks.

1 hour ago, BesToss said:

13 business days?! That was really quick. When did you place your order? I placed my order on Tuesday (11/26) and the staff told me the waiting time is about 6-8 weeks.

The wait time IS 6-8 weeks. If you get them quicker than that’s a bonus. 

On 11/28/2019 at 1:27 PM, sbecks72986 said:

Check the blade alignment