Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ccarrigan

Easton Mako Skate Questions

After many many pairs of skates, I had finally found some that fit my feet properly: Easton Mako 9.5 EE. Even some custom VH skates weren't as good of a fit for my wide foot. And since they were being bought and discontinued, I was able to snag 2 pairs. My only issue is that the heel lock isn't great but the forefoot and arch is perfect.

My dilema: the holder on one broke. I'm in the process of baking my other pair and will start breaking those in. What I'd like to know is:

Is there a way to best get heel lock when baking?

If I replace the holder, is there a set with similar pitch?

My current pair is pretty worn down regardless. Is there anything out there with a similar fit? I need a pretty wide forefoot but have a regular to small heel.

Thanks!

You could try clamping the heel, using tensor bandages or use the shrink wrap method True now uses to get better heel lock: 

I'd try to find CXN holders if you want the same pitch. Check ebay and sidelineswap for CXN holders in your size and if that doesn't work, call around to a few local shops. 

Edit: Pure Hockey has right CXN holders for size 9 (used for 9 and 9.5) $9.97.https://www.purehockey.com/product/easton-cxn-holders-senior/itm/14127-41/

And Hockeymonkey has the left holder in your size for $4.97: https://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-hockey-holder-cxn.html

Step sitll makes steel for the CXN holders. JR has it listed in the MSH Pro Shop. 

Edited by althoma1

Similarly, I really liked the way they fit me as well, but my heel wasn't as locked as I wanted.  I tried everything, but ultimately had to give up on them, as I found the carbon portion of the heel to not be moldable.  The upper is very moldable, but if your heel lock issues are lower down in the boot, I'm not sure there is a solution for that without a pad or something else to fill the gap between your heel and the boot. 

1 hour ago, krisdrum said:

Similarly, I really liked the way they fit me as well, but my heel wasn't as locked as I wanted.  I tried everything, but ultimately had to give up on them, as I found the carbon portion of the heel to not be moldable.  The upper is very moldable, but if your heel lock issues are lower down in the boot, I'm not sure there is a solution for that without a pad or something else to fill the gap between your heel and the boot. 

What did you end up going with?

21 minutes ago, ccarrigan said:

What did you end up going with?

Currently, Graf 535 wide.  But I just picked up a pair of used G75 lites that have been my dream skate for awhile.  The heel lock isn't quite as good as the 535, but I haven't baked them yet, so I'm sure I can get it better.  I have a wide forefoot and narrow heel.  Anything with a medium heel cup just doesn't lock my foot in.  I tried the EE Makos first, then tried the D width figuring the upper is moldable enough to accommodate my forefoot width, hoping the heel would be a bit narrower.  It was, but still not enough. 

Give True a try. I know you said you got VH's but if you just did the old school pictures + foot stencil... that's not as good as the scans they do now. I've baked my True's 2x now plus did a shrink wrap over the instep and heel and it's much better fitting than anything else, even Mako. I'm like you, wider forefoot and more narrow/small heel. I had the same issues with my Mako heel cup.... the heating with the heat gun and using clamps didn't work that well for me, if at all. I just dealt with it and got used to it.

If you don't want True's the FT2 also fit similarly to Mako albeit a little more narrow overall. With the 90 day play and return thing... it's a no brainer to try them, it's quite literally free if you don't like them. If they fit half way decent and you think you might keep them, I'm sure you could bake those a few times, and punch out any spots, or bring in anything that's too loose.