Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Synthetic Ice? Whos has some?

I am looking at finishing my backyard shooting rink. I will be building a small sitting area for storing pucks, hockey sticks, training aids, incorporated with a bench so players can sit when putting on their skates and for storing their person items when using the shooting rink. I will also be installing 5ft tall boards with metal poles and netting , these boards will help keep the pucks from flying into the pool all the time. The last thing I want is to get hit by a puck when hanging out in the pool or having to fish pucks out of the pool all the time. lol

As I look at all of the options for synthetic ice I am quickly becoming overwhelmed and other than reading that I want to select oil infused uhmwpe I cannot really find any decent information on who makes good products. I figured I would ask if anyone currently own synthetic ice or if anyone training on synthetic ice and if there are certain brands that are better than others in regards to performance, durability, and price. 

The surface is roughly 12ft x 38ft. 

Oazj9Gb.jpg

Howdy,

I would strongly recommend that you go skate on some synthetic ice before you decide to spend money on it.

I thought I wanted to do that, then tried it and decided that it felt differently enough that it wasn't worth it to me.

Mark

2 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I would strongly recommend that you go skate on some synthetic ice before you decide to spend money on it.

I thought I wanted to do that, then tried it and decided that it felt differently enough that it wasn't worth it to me.

Mark

Even if it's not ideal, I would rather have synthetic ice so I can shoot while wearing skates instead of shooting on dryland tiles. 

I have the hockeyshot revolution tiles. I’m not a big fan for skating or puck glide. Its ok for both, but does not excel in either. Very nice to have to borders and the versatility of small tiles, however I would look at other synthetic ice manufacturers.

Something to think about: I was just like you thinking I would strap on skates all the time, but I haven’t since I first got the tiles. If I were to do it again I’d get some dryland with great puck glide.

Edited by ViperRy

xtraice / revolution / cheap chinese brands x 3 are the ones I have skated on. Xtraice was the best by a fair way. Also our local rink owners have been reviewing different types and they agreed xtraice was one of the best they had seen and tried. If you are putting them outdoors you need to take extra care in keeping them clean. Regardless of what brand you choose, dirt is the number 1 enemy.

On 11/30/2019 at 10:24 PM, ViperRy said:

I have the hockeyshot revolution tiles. I’m not a big fan for skating or puck glide. Its ok for both, but does not excel in either. Very nice to have to borders and the versatility of small tiles, however I would look at other synthetic ice manufacturers.

Something to think about: I was just like you thinking I would strap on skates all the time, but I haven’t since I first got the tiles. If I were to do it again I’d get some dryland with great puck glide.

HockeyShot also has bigger panels that skate much better than the tiles.  The tiles are great for small and versatile setups, but if you really want to skate, the pannels are the way to go.  They do boards and glass too. 

4 hours ago, the_game said:

Once you decide what tiles to go with, please let me know if you have a room to rent or ever list your place on Airbnb.

Anyone who is passing through Scottsdale AZ is always welcome to stay. We have plenty of space, extra bedrooms and such. 

3 hours ago, Top Cheddar said:

HockeyShot also has bigger panels that skate much better than the tiles.  The tiles are great for small and versatile setups, but if you really want to skate, the pannels are the way to go.  They do boards and glass too. 

I dont see bigger panels? Just the little square ones and the main downside to their product is there tiles are not reversible. It seems many other companies tiles can be reversed as they wear. 

https://www.hockeyshot.com/Revolution-Synthetic-Ice-Tiles-p/revolution-tiles.htm

I have to look them up but there are other manufacturers who make 2x4 and even bigger tiles.  I haven’t purchased yet but the fewer seams the better was my thinking when looking into it.  Not sure if that holds but I liked the idea.

6 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Anyone who is passing through Scottsdale AZ is always welcome to stay. We have plenty of space, extra bedrooms and such. 

Not really passing thru, but after I drop my kids off at the rink, I should be there in about 15 hrs.  Hope you've got plenty of pucks and sun tan lotion.  I'm pretty pale.

See you in a bit. 

• Haha 1

I’ve skated on Glice which is said to be one of the better products. It’s great for shooting practice, but I can’t skate on it, I don’t know why. I know many people who say good things about it and have no trouble skating on it.

Can’t you install cooler pipes in your pool? 🙂

10 hours ago, Leif said:

I’ve skated on Glice which is said to be one of the better products. It’s great for shooting practice, but I can’t skate on it, I don’t know why. I know many people who say good things about it and have no trouble skating on it.

Can’t you install cooler pipes in your pool? 🙂

I asked my wife that and she told me if I messed with the pool I would need to buy a second home....... for me to live in. lol

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I dont see bigger panels? Just the little square ones and the main downside to their product is there tiles are not reversible. It seems many other companies tiles can be reversed as they wear. 

https://www.hockeyshot.com/Revolution-Synthetic-Ice-Tiles-p/revolution-tiles.htm

The hockey shot tiles are garbage I have them absolutely no glide at all, most don’t have great glide but these have none.

On 11/30/2019 at 1:32 PM, SkateWorksPNW said:

I am looking at finishing my backyard shooting rink. I will be building a small sitting area for storing pucks, hockey sticks, training aids, incorporated with a bench so players can sit when putting on their skates and for storing their person items when using the shooting rink. I will also be installing 5ft tall boards with metal poles and netting , these boards will help keep the pucks from flying into the pool all the time. The last thing I want is to get hit by a puck when hanging out in the pool or having to fish pucks out of the pool all the time. lol

As I look at all of the options for synthetic ice I am quickly becoming overwhelmed and other than reading that I want to select oil infused uhmwpe I cannot really find any decent information on who makes good products. I figured I would ask if anyone currently own synthetic ice or if anyone training on synthetic ice and if there are certain brands that are better than others in regards to performance, durability, and price. 

The surface is roughly 12ft x 38ft. 

Just wondering if you ever ended up going with synthetic ice?  I currently just framed up a 12x16 rink to be finished with boards/synthetic ice/shooting tiles in our basement, and will be hanging a sportscreen at one end for a shooting range.  However, i'm currently deciding on flooring/ice for the rink.  At first i was thinking of doing the hockeyshot all star dryland tiles as they are 25% off at prohockeylife until tomorrow.  Thats about a $900 CAD option.  Next step up would be the revolution tiles at $1250 (including 25% off).  However, i wasn't too enthused about the smaller tile sizes and the single sided nature of the revolution, along with the short rated lifespan.

I started looking around at synthetic ice panels like you, and am pretty overwhelmed at the options so far.  I did however find synthetic ice solutions out of ontario.  They seem to be a direct to consumer manufacturer, and everything seems to look good on the surface so far (full pun intended).  The prices seem decent and im thinking i may take the plunge with them.  I know for myself my area isn't really big enough to do any actual skating, and i wouldn't expect to, moreso just stickhandling/tight area drills and shooting practice for me.  The area is moreso setup for my 3 boys who are currently aged 5 and 1 year old twins, expecting them to be able to use this area for the foreseeable future for sure.   I think at their size, indoor skating in the basement would be viable for at least the next few years for sure, and at the very least, i would rather have a more "commercial" style setup for shooting tiles than the smaller ones.

Interested to see if you pulled the trigger on any product!