Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
pgeorgan

Ideas on DIY Blade Holders

Wondering if anyone has any experience in this realm, whether by hand or 3D printing.

To be clear, this would be blade holders for at-home sharpening, not runners. I'm a hobbyist, so not especially interested in just buying an existing one. 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

Howdy,

No particular experience, but if I were going to do one of these, a goal would be to have it be rigid enough to help hold steel straight during the sharpening operation. 

I'm guessing you're doing this for a Sparx?  The Sparx holder is plastic, without a lot of bearing area.  Outside of providing a little easier/faster way to ensure the steel is clamped in the machine in the range of the wheel's travel and engaging the safety locks, its not doing much of anything.  Of course, its also $40 or whatever, so what do you expect?  My experience with it is that for steel that's reasonably straight, it's fine.

If I were making my own, I'd try and use a rigid material, with a bearing area the length of the blade, and a robust clamping mechanism.  Then if the steel was a little bit bent, the holder could hold it straight during the sharpening process.  All of this would require access to real machining equipment, etc. of course.  And when I was done, it would be a holder I'd have to sell for like $250 or something to account for the time & materials.  🙂

Mark

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 2:34 PM, marka said:

Howdy,

No particular experience, but if I were going to do one of these, a goal would be to have it be rigid enough to help hold steel straight during the sharpening operation. 

I'm guessing you're doing this for a Sparx?  The Sparx holder is plastic, without a lot of bearing area.  Outside of providing a little easier/faster way to ensure the steel is clamped in the machine in the range of the wheel's travel and engaging the safety locks, its not doing much of anything.  Of course, its also $40 or whatever, so what do you expect?  My experience with it is that for steel that's reasonably straight, it's fine.

If I were making my own, I'd try and use a rigid material, with a bearing area the length of the blade, and a robust clamping mechanism.  Then if the steel was a little bit bent, the holder could hold it straight during the sharpening process.  All of this would require access to real machining equipment, etc. of course.  And when I was done, it would be a holder I'd have to sell for like $250 or something to account for the time & materials.  🙂

Mark

I'm working on designing one using CAD/3D printing. 

Will post the file if it works out. 

In the meantime, anyone with real experience doing this, please share. 

Thanks!