Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sniper9

True intermediate sticks

5 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

The ones I have (A6.0, A4.5, X Core, etc.) all have the same dimensions as the Sr. sticks.

Mark

That's great to hear. I never realized that some brands made intermediate options, were made with the same dimensions as Sr, except being shorter. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

That's great to hear. I never realized that some brands made intermediate options, were made with the same dimensions as Sr, except being shorter. 

As far as I now only TRUE uses senior diameters for intermediate sticks. I dont think anyone else does. 

Howdy,

Sherwood intermediates (ek15, Project 9, 65 flex) seem to be the same shaft dimensions as their Senior sticks (ek365, 75 flex).

I've interchanged between intermediates and senior over the past few years and not noticed shaft dimension differences across various brands  I'd need to actually go measure various sticks to quote models though.  I had the above cutoff ends on my desk.  🙂

That said, the 60 flex Easton Synergy I just got on clearance seems to have a slightly smaller shaft than my other sticks.  Its also decently shorter (short enough that its still an inch shorter than my normal height, which is cut down an inch or two from typical intermediate lengths).

Mark

Edited by marka

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Sherwood intermediates (ek15, Project 9, 65 flex) seem to be the same shaft dimensions as their Senior sticks (ek365, 75 flex).

I've interchanged between intermediates and senior over the past few years and not noticed shaft dimension differences across various brands  I'd need to actually go measure various sticks to quote models though.  I had the above cutoff ends on my desk.  🙂

That said, the 60 flex Easton Synergy I just got on clearance seems to have a slightly smaller shaft than my other sticks.  Its also decently shorter (short enough that its still an inch shorter than my normal height, which is cut down an inch or two from typical intermediate lengths).

Mark

I haven't used a Sher-Wood in ages. I have really been wanting to try the EK365 and M90. The last one I had was an EK60 and I thought it was a very solid stick and was extremely cheap too. 

17 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Anyone know whether Trues intermediate sticks have a smaller diameter shaft and smaller blade vs the Sr? 

I emailed True last year about this and got this as a reply.

"The intermediate is extremely close to the same dimensions as the senior stick. The difference is less than a millimeter so no one can really tell a difference in their hands."

So as others have said, yeah it's pretty much the same as a senior.

• Like 2

@Toby thank you for sharing this! My first thought was "but wouldn't that require unnecessary additional tooling?", but since the sticks are built from the inside-out that might mean (to an outsider looking in) that they simply use a little less material (fewer layers? thinner threads?) for those INT sticks but potentially on the same assembly line. Interesting thing to think about 🙂

This is really good to know. I got an A6.0 HT for Cyber Monday and I really like it, but I feel like I need to go down in flex from the 75, and that's the lowest they offer in senior.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 5:43 PM, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

Some Warrior Intermediate sticks are significantly narrower in the shaft than the Sr equivalents.

colins

7 hours ago, colins said:

Some Warrior Intermediate sticks are significantly narrower in the shaft than the Sr equivalents.

colins

Ya warrior Easton's in the past. And even Bauer I remember we're significantly thinner. That's why I was hesitant with true. 

I did pull the trigger and ordered myself two a6.0 ht intermediate sticks online as they were on clearance for 129 each. I use a 75 sr true now and always wanted to try the newer 70 flex seniors. I figure 68 flex is close enough and for the price it's worth the experiment especially of the shaft dimensions are the same as the Sr. 

9 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Ya warrior Easton's in the past. And even Bauer I remember we're significantly thinner. That's why I was hesitant with true. 

I did pull the trigger and ordered myself two a6.0 ht intermediate sticks online as they were on clearance for 129 each. I use a 75 sr true now and always wanted to try the newer 70 flex seniors. I figure 68 flex is close enough and for the price it's worth the experiment especially of the shaft dimensions are the same as the Sr. 

Give me an update. I like the 75 flex a6.0 ht a lot, but I don't feel like I can get enough flex out of it when I'm using it. Really tempted to try something around 60 or 65 flex but not sure how much of a difference it would really make. If I got an intermediate I'd probably have to get an extension too.

48 minutes ago, dasuchin said:

Give me an update. I like the 75 flex a6.0 ht a lot, but I don't feel like I can get enough flex out of it when I'm using it. Really tempted to try something around 60 or 65 flex but not sure how much of a difference it would really make. If I got an intermediate I'd probably have to get an extension too.

I'll let you know.  75 is fine for me but I've always wanted to try something with a lot of whip. When cut down my 75 is closer to an 80. I'm 5'10 165-170 lbs so the 75 is technically the "ideal" flex for me even cut down. I cut my sticks 2.5 inches on 60" sticks.  I have no problems getting my stick to flex but wanted to try one flex eating lower just bc it seems like what all the cool kids in the pros are doing these days. Or petterson Matthews etc. 

The intermediate true in 68 flex is listed at 58" tall so I'd still have to cut it about half an inch and would technically make it feel closer to 69-70 at most, so it's a good 10 flex in feeling drop from my cut down 75. Should be interesting to see how it feels.

If you use your Sr sticks full length you def would need an extension, and that would make the stick feel even more whippy than 68... I think big you went from 75 to something as low as 60-65 with an extension it would be too much of a change.  

2 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I'll let you know.  75 is fine for me but I've always wanted to try something with a lot of whip. When cut down my 75 is closer to an 80. I'm 5'10 165-170 lbs so the 75 is technically the "ideal" flex for me even cut down. I cut my sticks 2.5 inches on 60" sticks.  I have no problems getting my stick to flex but wanted to try one flex eating lower just bc it seems like what all the cool kids in the pros are doing these days. Or petterson Matthews etc. 

The intermediate true in 68 flex is listed at 58" tall so I'd still have to cut it about half an inch and would technically make it feel closer to 69-70 at most, so it's a good 10 flex in feeling drop from my cut down 75. Should be interesting to see how it feels.

If you use your Sr sticks full length you def would need an extension, and that would make the stick feel even more whippy than 68... I think big you went from 75 to something as low as 60-65 with an extension it would be too much of a change.  

Yeah you're probably right. That's why I'm trying to find something senior length in 60-65. I know adding the extension to an intermediate would make it feel lower. I just haven't felt a 65 compared to a 75 so I'm not sure how different they feel.

Just got my two 68 intermediate a6.0 ht sticks. I can confirm they are identical in dimensions to the Sr version. I measured the across section of them at the butt end with the plug out. 👍

48 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Just got my two 68 intermediate a6.0 ht sticks. I can confirm they are identical in dimensions to the Sr version. I measured the across section of them at the butt end with the plug out. 👍

65 Flex Intermediate XCore 9 measures essentially same 3 5/8 circumference as a Senior 75 Flex A5.2 as well:

KgABIEi.jpg

LujB55t.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder why they went form a 65 to 68 flex option

Also, how did you find the difference between the 65 vs 75? Big diff or only slightly in terms of adjustment?

Edited by Sniper9

13 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I wonder why they went form a 65 to 68 flex option

Also, how did you find the difference between the 65 vs 75? Big diff or only slightly in terms of adjustment?

I didn't use the 65 myself, it was my son's and shorter than I use. Also it's an XCore 9 and I've only used the A5.2 True's myself.

But I have used 75 Flex A5.2 and the exact same A5.2 in an 85 flex, and would say the 85 Flex A5.2 plays more like a CCM Tacks 75 or a Bauer Supreme 77. I find the 75 Flex A5.2 more whippy than those sticks.

colins

Just tested out the 68 flex for afew mins. What I noticed was wristers were good. Just as good as 75 flex but less effort. Accuracy good too. Slap shots took a tiny adjustment but seemed just as good as the 75. The only diff I noticed with shots was snap shots. Def felt off with snappers. Felt almost like there's too much whip and accuracy wasn't quite there. Hitting the net but when wanting to go bardown the pick didn't get there. Only about 3/4 high off the ground. Overall I like it but the 75 is def more versatile for me. Stickhandling etc seemed more or less the same. 

I have a sherwood t90 in intermediate and another in senior.  Their is definitely a difference in the dimensions.  Also have a 6092 tacks and super tacks 2.0 in intermediate.  I have the ribcor pro and tacks as1 in senior.  Once again definitely different in dimensions.  On a side note the intermediate tacks are 65 flex and the tacks senior is 75(cut to maybe an 80) .  Hard passes just blow through the 65.  

Well, one of my intermediates just exploded in the shaft where my bottom hand sits. Good thing it's still within the warranty period. Did the claim online. @SkateWorksPNW do you know how quick they are to reply to the online warranty submissions, or as a retailer, is it different for you. 

Also there was no option for the intermediate size for the a6.0ht on the pull down list. Not sure why. Would be a nice surprise if they sent me an ax9 😬

I´m 5`6.5" tall and i have to cut 4.5" off a 60" stick. Today my new True A6.0SBP intermediate 58flex 56" stick arrived. It has the same dimensions as my A5.2SBP senior 75flex 60" stick. I also have a Warrior QRE4 intermediate 70flex 57" stick. The shaft of the Warrior stick is giving me a noticeable thinner and less solid feeling compared to the True A5.2 although the circumference of the Warrior is only about 3mm shorter and the blade is about 3mm shorter. The Warrior stick feels off-ice a lttle stiffer than the A5.2 and the A6.0 feels noticeable softer than the A5.2, all of them having quite the same length.

I´m interested if the cutting down made my A5.2 stiffer, maybe 85-90flex, or does it have the same flex as before if the True senior and intermediate sticks are measured with the same parameters/procedures? Am i comparing real 58flex with real 75flex if both sticks are cutted down to 55.5"?

The reason for me to go down in flex is pain in my shoulder on my playing side after a hockey-session. More noticeable after playing two to three days in a row. This monday my shoulder exploded after a simple soft wristshot without a trauma. Today is the first day on which I can move my shoulder full and I´m quite sure that no damage will remain. I will try the softer stick after my shoulder completely calmed down. Has anyone of you made good experiences with going down in flex for shoulder pain?