Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Beflar

Has anyone tried the Quad 0.5 profile?

6 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Unless the player specifically asks me for an aggressive forward lean I always profile neutral or add a minimal pitch. I also dont like grinding down the whole front of the blade on a Q0 or a Zuperior.

But if you don't blend it all the way then you are technically not using the first profile so why use it?? 

Referencing a Q 0 or Q1

1 hour ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

But if you don't blend it all the way then you are technically not using the first profile so why use it?? 

Referencing a Q 0 or Q1

I do blend it all the way. I just eliminate the pitch. If you profile using the following technique (see video below) it will apply the full profile but not add the pitch:

Edited by SkateWorksPNW
  • Like 1

Are the lengths of the 4 zones the same on all the Quad profiles?  I used to have a Quad 1 on my Flare steel.  As discussed in that thread, the 6' front was eating away too much of the flare and probably unnecessary.  I was also looking for a little more speed, so I switched to a 8-9-14 on my new steel.  It might be a touch faster in the long end, but I prefered the Quad.  I cracked my steel last night, so am considering switching the profile again for a new set.  Will the Quad 0.5 give me the same feeling as the Q1, with a little more speed?  Or are the zone lengths the same, meaning the back area is still pretty small, leaving me with a mostly 12' main portion?  Should I go to Quad 2?  Im on 272 steel, which is on the smaller end for Quad 2.

17 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

Are the lengths of the 4 zones the same on all the Quad profiles?  I used to have a Quad 1 on my Flare steel.  As discussed in that thread, the 6' front was eating away too much of the flare and probably unnecessary.  I was also looking for a little more speed, so I switched to a 8-9-14 on my new steel.  It might be a touch faster in the long end, but I prefered the Quad.  I cracked my steel last night, so am considering switching the profile again for a new set.  Will the Quad 0.5 give me the same feeling as the Q1, with a little more speed?  Or are the zone lengths the same, meaning the back area is still pretty small, leaving me with a mostly 12' main portion?  Should I go to Quad 2?  Im on 272 steel, which is on the smaller end for Quad 2.

Don't have the Flare pitched and it wont eat off all of the toe of the steel. The standard Pro Sharp profiles have pitch built into them natively which is what takes off so much of the toe. 

27 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Don't have the Flare pitched and it wont eat off all of the toe of the steel. The standard Pro Sharp profiles have pitch built into them natively which is what takes off so much of the toe. 

You did my Quad 1.  You left it unpatched and I still felt the 6' ate off too much, especially compared to the 8' I have now.  Plus, like I said, I'm looking for a little more top speed, which probably means a longer back radius.  So, Quad 0.5 for the longer front 2 zones and a little more of the back zone or Quad 2 mostly for the longer middle zones since the end zones will be smaller on 272 steel?

Edited by psulion22

9 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

You did my Quad 1.  You left it unpatched and I still felt the 6' ate off too much, especially compared to the 8' I have now.  Plus, like I said, I'm looking for a little more top speed, which probably means a longer back radius.  So, Quad 0.5 for the longer front 2 zones and a little more of the back zone or Quad 2 mostly for the longer middle zones since the end zones will be smaller on 272 steel?

I like the Quad2, I'm not a huge fan of the Quad0.5.

It's all personal though.

I have never tried a 8/9/14 but I have used the Zuperior on Flare and it feels great. Lots of speed and stability. Can easily skate around defenders instead of having to cut through them. 

As for the zone transitions, they are all pretty much the same between the various Quad profiles. 

On 10/7/2020 at 3:57 PM, SkateWorksPNW said:

I like the Quad2, I'm not a huge fan of the Quad0.5.

It's all personal though.

I have never tried a 8/9/14 but I have used the Zuperior on Flare and it feels great. Lots of speed and stability. Can easily skate around defenders instead of having to cut through them. 

As for the zone transitions, they are all pretty much the same between the various Quad profiles. 

Thanks.  Quad 1 just felt better to me, more agile but also quicker, if not necessarily faster.  It makes sense given the shorter radius on most of the zones.  8/9/14 is stable but I don't feel quicker or faster, my strides feel more powerful, but it doesn't seem to translate.  Zuperior might be better because of the shorter front section.  But I'm thinking Quad 2 is the way to go.  Everything is just one foot longer, so I should get close to the same agility with a little more top end speed, without that skating on rails feeling.

4 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

Thanks.  Quad 1 just felt better to me, more agile but also quicker, if not necessarily faster.  It makes sense given the shorter radius on most of the zones.  8/9/14 is stable but I don't feel quicker or faster, my strides feel more powerful, but it doesn't seem to translate.  Zuperior might be better because of the shorter front section.  But I'm thinking Quad 2 is the way to go.  Everything is just one foot longer, so I should get close to the same agility with a little more top end speed, without that skating on rails feeling.

Zuperior is nice but you do give up a lot of lateral mobility in exchange for top end speed and greater stability. That's why I like the Quad2, I feel you still get that speed and stability while still having that lateral agility. 

Also, if you pitch the Quad2 properly it takes off almost none of the toe of the Flare which is nice 🙂 

Another profiling nightmare. So much forward pitch the player could not even skate. Lucky he had offered to help coach and wasn't at a team practice. He has NHL camp coming up. 

I'm not saying Pro Sharp is bad saying there are quit a few that do not know what there doing and going by what there told as which profile is the best.  

You need to know the players skati g strengths this was not a good fit. 

FYI Bauer steel was brand new LS3 only profiled once and sharpened 2 times. Front of the blade measures 12.5 32nds out the holder. 

20201010_133807.jpg

Edited by oldtrainerguy28

48 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Another profiling nightmare. So much forward pitch the player could not even skate. Lucky he had offered to help coach and wasn't at a team practice. He has NHL camp coming up. 

I'm not saying Pro Sharp is bad saying there are quit a few that do not know what there doing and going by what there told as which profile is the best.  

You need to know the players skati g strengths this was not a good fit. 

FYI Bauer steel was brand new LS3 only profiled once and sharpened 2 times. Front of the blade measures 12.5 32nds out the holder. 

20201010_133807.jpg

Looks to me like the steel slipped in the clamp hence why so much was taken off the front or they added pitch to the profile template not understanding that it already has pitch built into it. Either way, that steel is jacked.