Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Lorent2

Position on new skate

Hi,

I have new Bauer 2S Pro skates, but I have a position problem with this.

When I compare to my old skates, I'm lot at the rear of skates, and that bothers me when skating fast, skating backward, and braking.

I have to do many press on the front of the skates to balance my position on the ice.

How can I fix this problem ?

Could this come from bad thermoforming of this skates?

Thank you for your help, or your feedback, on my problem. I want to use them for game.

Why did you buy new skates?

What kind of skates did you have before?

Are your new skates longer than your old ones?

Did you have non-stock insoles in your old skates or in your new skates?

Can you change the runners between your skates?

Why did you buy new skates?

--> To change my skates (old of 4 years)

What kind of skates did you have before?

--> Bauer supreme MX3

Are your new skates longer than your old ones?

--> the same length

Did you have non-stock insoles in your old skates or in your new skates?

--> MX3, i have a CCM insole (https://www.momosports.com/fr/masaccs-med-semelles-ccm-arche-moyen) ; On 2S : speed plate.

-->I have already change runners between skates, i have same problem with 2S skates.

I doubt your new skates are not properly formed unless you see something that looks out of sorts. Getting new skates can be difficult. I do sympathize! If your skates are comfortable and are fit properly I'd give it a few more skates to see how you do.

Brand new blades can feel flat compared to old blades that have been sharpened many times before. It could be those new runners are keeping you in a position you aren't accustomed to,  You could try to give it some time to get used to it or you could get your blades profiled so they feel a little more like your old skates. Also the new boots and holder probably doesn't match exactly the angle your foot is used to.  Are you lacing the same way? You might leave a couple eyelets unlaced to see how your blades feel with more ankle flexion. Those skates are real stiff and they will lock you up if you lace them all the way up. I like to be able to look down the back of my skate with my ankles flexed.If your tendon guard is always close to your calf you will have a tough time of it,  Just a couple of ideas from me. Insoles such as superfeet can lift the heel up but I don't find that fixes the overall " feel" of the blade contact with ice. Profiling or shimming is usually the answer recommended but I'm not expert enough to recommend something for you. Maybe bring your old skates and new skates to a professional and have him look at differences,

6 minutes ago, Above40 said:

I doubt your new skates are not properly formed unless you see something that looks out of sorts. Getting new skates can be difficult. I do sympathize! If your skates are comfortable and are fit properly I'd give it a few more skates to see how you do.

Brand new blades can feel flat compared to old blades that have been sharpened many times before. It could be those new runners are keeping you in a position you aren't accustomed to,  You could try to give it some time to get used to it or you could get your blades profiled so they feel a little more like your old skates. Also the new boots and holder probably doesn't match exactly the angle your foot is used to.  Are you lacing the same way? You might leave a couple eyelets unlaced to see how your blades feel with more ankle flexion. Those skates are real stiff and they will lock you up if you lace them all the way up. I like to be able to look down the back of my skate with my ankles flexed.If your tendon guard is always close to your calf you will have a tough time of it,  Just a couple of ideas from me. Insoles such as superfeet can lift the heel up but I don't find that fixes the overall " feel" of the blade contact with ice. Profiling or shimming is usually the answer recommended but I'm not expert enough to recommend something for you. Maybe bring your old skates and new skates to a professional and have him look at differences, 

In France, we have not a lot of "professional".

I have already taken my skates to my dealer. He has controlled blades, and everything was good for him.

I think it's just a matter of getting used to the new boots if you swapped the steel and still have the same issue.  Skates now adays a quite a bit stiffer than even 3-4 years ago, and the tongue on the 2s is def a totally diff feel. 

That and/or the diff insoles. Try putting your old insoles in the new skates?

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

I think it's just a matter of getting used to the new boots if you swapped the steel and still have the same issue. That and/or the diff insoles. Try putting your old insoles in the new skates? 

Maybe, to check 😉

Try swapping the speedplates for the CCM insoles to see if they feel better.  The CCM insoles will lift your heel a bit, which may be what you're feeling.

Try comparing the profile of the old blades with the new ones. Draw round them with a pen on paper. Just a suggestion. Repeated sharpens can destroy the profile.

7 hours ago, Leif said:

Try comparing the profile of the old blades with the new ones. Draw round them with a pen on paper. Just a suggestion. Repeated sharpens can destroy the profile.

I just traced the outside of the blades :

Y3U3UKB.png

And there is your answer, the toe and heels are completely different. You either stick with the 2s pro (LS5?) and adapt or find someone who can reprofile it to the MX3 shape. But as this is most probably a ground down wrecked profile you will always have to get your blades reprofiled to get the same feel.

41 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

And there is your answer, the toe and heels are completely different. You either stick with the 2s pro (LS5?) and adapt or find someone who can reprofile it to the MX3 shape. But as this is most probably a ground down wrecked profile you will always have to get your blades reprofiled to get the same feel.

On 1/2/2020 at 10:15 AM, Lorent2 said:

-->I have already change runners between skates, i have same problem with 2S skates.

I don't know, unless I'm misinterpreting your previous statement, you already tried putting the old runners in the new skates and saw no improvement.  To me that means it's not solely the runner shape. You stated that your MX3 skates had CCM insoles, (which would lift your heel) but have not said if you tried using the CCM insoles in the 2S.

5 hours ago, boo10 said:

I don't know, unless I'm misinterpreting your previous statement, you already tried putting the old runners in the new skates and saw no improvement.  To me that means it's not solely the runner shape. You stated that your MX3 skates had CCM insoles, (which would lift your heel) but have not said if you tried using the CCM insoles in the 2S.

Next step for me :
- Retry old runners on new skates

- Try new runners on old skates ( i don't remember trying this)

- Switch insoles

- Destroy 2S 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Lorent2 said:

Today I skate with MX3 and new blades, it’s ok.

Position is normal

Try the CCM insoles in the 2S.  Other factor could be the tongue on the 2S, which is ridiculous.  Too stiff and bulky.

On 1/4/2020 at 8:08 AM, Lorent2 said:

Next step for me :
- Retry old runners on new skates [Blades are OK, beacause i can skate and brake with new runners].

- Try new runners on old skates ( i don't remember trying this) [Check, OK].

- Switch insoles

- Destroy 2S 🤣🤣🤣

7 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

It could also be the new skates are super stiff and arent allowing you to get proper forward flexion. Have you tried dropping the top eyelet? 

I will also try it

On 1/6/2020 at 4:57 PM, SkateWorksPNW said:

It could also be the new skates are super stiff and arent allowing you to get proper forward flexion. Have you tried dropping the top eyelet? 

Are the 2S all THAT stiff? Or, are you saying that they are stiffer than a broken in/broken down MX3?

49 minutes ago, start_today said:

Are the 2S all THAT stiff? Or, are you saying that they are stiffer than a broken in/broken down MX3?

I just tried on a pair of 2S Pro an hour ago.  They are significantly stiffer than my MX3s that I'm wearing now.  Some may be the age of the MX3s, but not all.  The Carbon Curv is definitely stiffer.  Another key difference is the tongue.  It also very thick and stiff, when compared to the tongue with the inserts on the MX3.  Forward flexion may definitely be affected in them until that gets figured out and broken in. If Bauer hadn't cut their SKUs and offered a skate between the 2S and 2S Pro, I would definitely get that because the 2S Pro may just be too much.