Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

BAUER NEXUS ADV

🤓
1 hour ago, raganblink said:

I mean they couldn't, if you want to talk out of your ass go ahead though. At Bauer World they talked a lot about this - to create the slingshot effect of the stick you have to separate your blade cores. To achieve that you had to physically separate them. Wasn't another way to create the effect without doing that. As for if it works or not? I'll put it this way - We took a radar gun out last week and screwed around with the sticks I had and my buddy had. We used the same p28 curve in 75/77 flex. They were 2S Pro, 2N Pro, MX3, AS1 & Trigger 2. For me I was shooting around 52-57 consistently with those sticks. He was 55-60. In the Nexus ADV my low was 57 and high of 63. He never dropped below 60 and highest was 64 in the ADV

Essentially a 5-10% increase on shot speed is what we noticed. Not insignificant in any way. The shaft felt amazing on the bottom hand and definitely felt like I had more control as well. I would recommend to buy it if you can afford it, stats speak for themselves. 

Minimum 6 yes. Bauer doesn't do that just top-end.

You are the one talking out of your ass my friend ;)

I am not sure about your background, but I do engineering. You absolutely can separate the blade cores internally, and can also do such externally, depending on how you lay the carbon fiber. Adding a rigid upper section and a softer lower section. This doesn't specifically require you to put a hole in the blade. The hole in the blade was all visual marketing. 

Here is a really good article that talks a lot about such: https://opedge.com/Articles/ViewArticle/2013-07_10 

I don't disagree with the theory and engineering philosophy behind what they are doing, I disagree with the execution. We all know that many pro players typically prefer a softer blade which is why the standard Nexus blade, with a dampening layer, is the most popular blade in the NHL. It allows some forgiveness compared to an extremely stiff blade, which does not. 

Classic Bauer, 

it seems like you are paying more for worse quality with Bauer these days (In skates atleast) 

it will be interesting to see how the reviews of the Nexus are after a few months use. who knows it could be a game changer.

56 minutes ago, Jordan_Rex said:

Classic Bauer, 

it seems like you are paying more for worse quality with Bauer these days (In skates atleast) 

it will be interesting to see how the reviews of the Nexus are after a few months use. who knows it could be a game changer.

Time will tell....

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

So just thinking, if you would realize the maximal effect of the slingshot the puck would need to be released from the middle of the blade, centered within the cutout.  Reganblink mentioned testing a P28, I wonder what the difference is between that and say an 88 curve.  What would really be awesome would be some super slow motion video of this stick shooting with various curves.

2 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

You are the one talking out of your ass my friend 😉

I am not sure about your background, but I do engineering. You absolutely can separate the blade cores internally, and can also do such externally, depending on how you lay the carbon fiber. Adding a rigid upper section and a softer lower section. This doesn't specifically require you to put a hole in the blade. The hole in the blade was all visual marketing. 

Here is a really good article that talks a lot about such: https://opedge.com/Articles/ViewArticle/2013-07_10 

I don't disagree with the theory and engineering philosophy behind what they are doing, I disagree with the execution. We all know that many pro players typically prefer a softer blade which is why the standard Nexus blade, with a dampening layer, is the most popular blade in the NHL. It allows some forgiveness compared to an extremely stiff blade, which does not. 

I get article not found.  Yes, you could make a rigid upper and softer lower, but if there wasn't any separation the bottom section wouldn't "slingshot" independently.

25 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

I get article not found.  Yes, you could make a rigid upper and softer lower, but if there wasn't any separation the bottom section wouldn't "slingshot" independently.

Article loads for me just fine. 

The entire blade face od the stick, including the hole cutout, is one-piece. It's not entirely separate sections. Again, you could design the same soft bottom and stiffer top without putting a hole in the blade. Come on guys, this isn't rocket science. I shared the stick information to my friends who are aerospace engineers at Telsa and SpaceX and their comments were "That design is silly and entirely unnecessary." 

Maybe Elon Musk needs to start making hockey sticks? 

56 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

The entire blade face od the stick, including the hole cutout, is one-piece. It's not entirely separate sections. Again, you could design the same soft bottom and stiffer top without putting a hole in the blade. Come on guys, this isn't rocket science. I shared the stick information to my friends who are aerospace engineers at Telsa and SpaceX and their comments were "That design is silly and entirely unnecessary." 

IIRC, the Supreme ADV’s fast core blade has this internal separation. Lighter stiffer foam on top and softer lower portion foam - I think the soft foam is similar to their usual powercore foams. They did that to reduce weight while keeping supreme feel. I read somewhere that The separation tech they got from Easton....

11 minutes ago, lennyboi said:

IIRC, the Supreme ADV’s fast core blade has this internal separation. Lighter stiffer foam on top and softer lower portion foam - I think the soft foam is similar to their usual powercore foams. They did that to reduce weight while keeping supreme feel. I read somewhere that The separation tech they got from Easton....

I have been considering testing the Supreme ADV as I heard a lot of really good feedback on it. Now that Ice Warehouse is selling them online I might pick one up. 

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I understand it is all connected, but for the bottom to flex while connected to two endpoints, there has to be the gap or cutout.  So yeah, not rocket science.  And being an engineer, no matter who you work for, doesn’t mean your word is law when evaluating a description or picture of a design.  Anybody who has spent any time doing npd knows that it is par for the course to hypothesize, prototype, and test and that often you are proven wrong, which is the point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

I understand it is all connected, but for the bottom to flex while connected to two endpoints, there has to be the gap or cutout.  So yeah, not rocket science.  And being an engineer, no matter who you work for, doesn’t mean your word is law when evaluating a description or picture of a design.  Anybody who has spent any time doing npd knows that it is par for the course to hypothesize, prototype, and test and that often you are proven wrong, which is the point.

For two points to flex there does not need to be a cutout, you can incorporate a type of synovial joint. 

6 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

For two points to flex there does not need to be a cutout, you can incorporate a type of synovial joint. 

You could.  But it would serve the same purpose as a gap, it allows them to move independently.  I would assume a simple gap/cutout is cheaper.  It certainly is more recognizable.

36 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

You could.  But it would serve the same purpose as a gap, it allows them to move independently.  I would assume a simple gap/cutout is cheaper.  It certainly is more recognizable.

At minimum, that big ass hole could be reduced to a slot roughly 1mm across.  That hole as designed will lead to poor contact with any pick that is wobbling.  Sticks should be designed for gameplay conditions, not shooting in a lab.

7 minutes ago, boo10 said:

At minimum, that big ass hole could be reduced to a slot roughly 1mm across.  That hole as designed will lead to poor contact with any pick that is wobbling.  Sticks should be designed for gameplay conditions, not shooting in a lab.

Could be.  But maybe they did test it in gameplay.

I love all this banter about how a carbon fiber stick has to be made to perform a specific task to perform just right for its purpose - for way too much $$$ (It's a stick with a small blade at the end) 

If you really want to get into the depths of carbon fiber and the unlimited ways it could be laid up in a jig to perform a specific function for a "sport"... Jump over into the bicycle racing forums with carbon fiber frames supporting 230# riders, putting down 1600+ watts, going 50+ mph down a mountain road in nothing but spandex. Their carbon this, carbon that, talk is way more advanced than this. (My best was only 53.3 mph down White Oak Mountain outside of Ooltewah TN) 

I have True sticks: A2.2, A4.5,  A5.2 & XC5, XC7  (I don't have the top A6.0 or XC9)...  along with STX RX3 and other mid range Bauer...

The lighter a stick gets the more hollow, ping-y (if that's a word), less feeling it gets to me. With my choice of all the sticks I have, my game stick is the XC5 and the back up is the 2.2   

If  I could get a do over, I'd have five XC5's w/ a few A2.2's... save me some $$$ and have sticks I'm % confident in!

But, what do I know.

13 hours ago, lennyboi said:

I read somewhere that The separation tech they got from Easton....

Easton was the first to put ribs in their blade cores, but they kept the two (eventually 3) cores the same stiffness.  What Bauer is doing in the Nexus is different though.  One could say that the blade only has one core as the top is solid.

• Like 1

Played my second game with the stick last night and was able to take a bunch of shots in warmups and I’m absolutely falling in love with this stick. Shots come off really nice especially shooting in stride the shots came off amazing. I think it’s gonna be my new number 1 stick and my Flylite will be number 2 until this thing breaks. The blade also got stepped on again, happened in first game too and luckily hasn’t broke. I think the green insert in the hole makes it durable, hopefully stays that way.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2020 at 11:18 PM, BTSyndrome said:

It's no different then the guy that shows up to our Sunday group ride on a $12,000+ Specialized S-Works Venge (bicycle for those unfamiliar) & proceeds to get dropped before the end of the ride.

People with enough $$ will buy it for the status of just having it. Best part about cycling... it's not about the quality of bike, it's the motor pushing those pedals that matter!

I dont quite see that as the same thing. In cycling you can buy speed to a degree, in hockey youre not buying hands or a good shot. 

One thing I've wondered about this stick aside from the speed of the shot is accuracy. If the puck isn't exactly centred on the blade, would it not affect the travel direction? Because as I imagine it, the point that deforms the most would be the centre which would cup the puck towards it, for better or for worse in terms of accuracy. 

23 minutes ago, Giltis said:

One thing I've wondered about this stick aside from the speed of the shot is accuracy. If the puck isn't exactly centred on the blade, would it not affect the travel direction? Because as I imagine it, the point that deforms the most would be the centre which would cup the puck towards it, for better or for worse in terms of accuracy. 

I use a P28 so when I shoot the puck is closer to the toe it’s a little bit past center of the blade but I don’t notice any accuracy issues. Taking slap shots were pretty accurate and usually I don’t have that great of accuracy with slap shots. I think if you on a budget it’s not worth spending the money if you’re a guy who always buys top end sticks it’s $60 more than the vapor flylite so if you have the money to spend its worth it especially if you come from the nexus sticks, I’m coming from the vapor line so it took a game to get used to the release shooting but the puck feel was great right off the bat

My thought on the hole is that it’s like all the strange Od1n tech they tested during the Olympics. This is the intro to the tech. The hole likely provides the best performance for that tech and so they went with it for this limited run. Future sticks, maybe whatever the top tier of the 3N will be called, will have the new shaft dimensions and a blade with a smaller, or no, hole. They’ll say it’s “powered by Slingtech”. It won’t be as effective as this ADV, but it will still be better than the regular blade. 

I think this is the new feature for top tier Nexus sticks. Vapor has the elliptical taper. Supreme has the hexagonal taper. Nexus will have the asymmetric shaft and slingtech blade. 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 3:41 PM, SkateWorksPNW said:

Time will tell....

A boy my son was playing against yesterday broke his Junior ADV during the game. I laughed.

14 hours ago, psulion22 said:

My thought on the hole is that it’s like all the strange Od1n tech they tested during the Olympics. This is the intro to the tech. The hole likely provides the best performance for that tech and so they went with it for this limited run. Future sticks, maybe whatever the top tier of the 3N will be called, will have the new shaft dimensions and a blade with a smaller, or no, hole. They’ll say it’s “powered by Slingtech”. It won’t be as effective as this ADV, but it will still be better than the regular blade. 

I think this is the new feature for top tier Nexus sticks. Vapor has the elliptical taper. Supreme has the hexagonal taper. Nexus will have the asymmetric shaft and slingtech blade. 

Guess we will know soon since the next generation Nexus should be released in October 2020 assuming Bauer stays consistent with their release dates. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW