Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
value77

Purpose of backing skates

Is it just shortening the break in time, or gives it a better fit and is shortening the break in time? 

And if you bake them wrong can you "break them back in" that it fits you like you have backed it correctly? 

It's important to understand, some skates require you to bake them. You will never mold the composite shell without baking.

Generally speaking, baking a skate should reduce break in time, but that's not the real advantage. The real advantage of baking is the optimization of the fit.

• Thanks 1

I have Bauer 2S Pro skates which have a carbon fibre shell. Baking speeds up the shaping to your feet although they will gradually mould to fit with use. Some of these carbon fibre boots, especially Trues, are very heat mouldable and my guess is that they might never achieve as good a fit without heat forming. (It isn’t really baking since the temperature is so low, more a case of thermoforming. But the term baking is in common use by the manufacturers.) Of course it depends on how good a fit you get out of the box. AFAIK there are no downsides to baking as long as you don’t exceed the recommended temperature and maximum number of bakes. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stick9 said:

It's important to understand, some skates require you to bake them. You will never mold the composite shell without baking.

Generally speaking, baking a skate should reduce break in time, but that's not the real advantage. The real advantage of baking is the optimization of the fit.

Okay thanks, but I really have no clue how tight I should tie them up after getting the shoes out of the oven 

39 minutes ago, value77 said:

Okay thanks, but I really have no clue how tight I should tie them up after getting the shoes out of the oven 

Please work with an LHS on this.  Just from the sound of things you are not particularly experienced in these things.  The skate shop will help you.  Its worth the money you will spend.

10 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

Please work with an LHS on this.  Just from the sound of things you are not particularly experienced in these things.  The skate shop will help you.  Its worth the money you will spend.

I was in the skate shop... 

He said tie them up I will hold it, nothing he also did not say that I have to pull it to the sides that I won't damage the eyelets

Yeah, my faith in the LHS is pretty low.  When I got mine the main guy fitting me handed the baking process to some Jr guy who took them out, handed them to me, told me to lace them up and he would be back in 10-15 mins.... And this is a private store (Source for Sports affiliate), biggest in the city who I expected to be much better than a Pure.

5 hours ago, value77 said:

I was in the skate shop... 

He said tie them up I will hold it, nothing he also did not say that I have to pull it to the sides that I won't damage the eyelets

oh boy.....   glad you are here then....

8 hours ago, value77 said:

i heard there are different times/temperature skates should be baked where can I find that?

My 2s Pro came with a card stating that they can be baked up to three times. I think the temp and time were 80 Celcius and 4 minutes. I know someone who baked his skates in a gas oven and the flame melted the rear! Why not email Bauer? 

1 hour ago, Leif said:

My 2s Pro came with a card stating that they can be baked up to three times. I think the temp and time were 80 Celcius and 4 minutes. I know someone who baked his skates in a gas oven and the flame melted the rear! Why not email Bauer? 

You can even go on their site and initiate a chat session and get a quicker answer.  I did that when I had a question about molding youth skates (they don't really “mold”, just the ankle pads soften).

You also don’t want to bake at home unless you really know what you’re doing and just based on the fact that you made this thread at all... yeah, go to your LHS

6 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

You also don’t want to bake at home unless you really know what you’re doing and just based on the fact that you made this thread at all... yeah, go to your LHS

as I told before I was at my LHS and they dont know anything

he said, lace them up I will hold it.

He did not even tell me that I had to pull them to the side

Just follow the instructions by Icewarehouse. That's probably your safest bet.

You can bake multiple times without issue. Baking won't fix everything.

10 hours ago, stick9 said:

Just follow the instructions by Icewarehouse. That's probably your safest bet.

You can bake multiple times without issue. Baking won't fix everything.

I got the official instructions from Bauer, seems like every Video is wrong. 

Instructions:

Spoiler

Skate Heat Molding Directions

-The skate oven should be preheated

- Tongue pulled forward on the skates so warm air can circulate properly

- Foot beds removed

-Put skates in the skate oven (3 minutes)

-When 3 minutes is up take the skates out of the oven, put insoles back in skate, put them on and kick heel back then tie them snug.

- Once they are tied stay seated with feet flat on the floor. (Do not stand up)

-Stay seated until they have cooled. (Roughly 10 minutes)

- Wait 4-6 (recommended) hours before skating

4 hours ago, value77 said:

I got the official instructions from Bauer, seems like every Video is wrong. 

Instructions:

Hide contents

Skate Heat Molding Directions

-The skate oven should be preheated

- Tongue pulled forward on the skates so warm air can circulate properly

- Foot beds removed

-Put skates in the skate oven (3 minutes)

-When 3 minutes is up take the skates out of the oven, put insoles back in skate, put them on and kick heel back then tie them snug.

- Once they are tied stay seated with feet flat on the floor. (Do not stand up)

-Stay seated until they have cooled. (Roughly 10 minutes)

- Wait 4-6 (recommended) hours before skating

No, those instructions are for skate ovens which are different than household ovens.

But whatever.... 

Edited by stick9
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

No, those instructions are for skate ovens which are different than household ovens.

But whatever.... 

ah okay good to know...

my LHS also did not take the footbed out