Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Oilers97

Changing out shin pad liners

Hi. I currently wear super tacks 13” shin pads. I have super short legs so sadly I cant wear sr. Pads. So I am running into some issues. The liner in them doesn’t seem to fit flush with my shin. It hovers off. My legs look huge. But the protection is great. 

ive tried 14” pads they are too long and I’m not going to start cutting them up.

What I’ve been wondering is there any way I can put a different liner in it? Say from an old rbk pad? My old pads used to have this more memory foam like material and they never hovered off my leg. I see lots of pro stock pads seem to be very very protective but have a very simple liner. Even something that fits much more flush. I also felt the knee area is lacking on the ST pads as well. Like I can’t even get the straps done up. 

I checked my local play it again sports and they have nothing that will work. Any other ideas? I mean I have looked on sls but there’s nothing cheap to risk buying. 

should I look into new shins or find a solution for these pads? I want max protection but I want a flush fit. 

5 hours ago, caveman27 said:

do you wear the shin pads over the skate tongue or under?

Over. I can’t do under. Can’t stand the feel. I know they will stick out a bit more but this is crazy I have trunk legs

Edited by Oilers97

Oilers I've been contemplating altering my shins too but haven't yet. Seems the jump from 13 to 14 shins is dramatic. All of a sudden I'm looking like trunk legs and they just seem so oversized. I have some older NHL RBK/JOFA 4k's where they have these two straps that are stitched in that sort of suspend the shin guard away from the shin bone quite a ways. Was thinking of snipping them out but not easily reversible. Recently been eyeballing the Vapor 1x Lites which appear to be very streamlined in comparison and have three sections hinged near foot and knee. Want them prob don't need them kinda thing. Odd having calves looking nearly as big as my pants

6 hours ago, Above40 said:

Oilers I've been contemplating altering my shins too but haven't yet. Seems the jump from 13 to 14 shins is dramatic. All of a sudden I'm looking like trunk legs and they just seem so oversized. I have some older NHL RBK/JOFA 4k's where they have these two straps that are stitched in that sort of suspend the shin guard away from the shin bone quite a ways. Was thinking of snipping them out but not easily reversible. Recently been eyeballing the Vapor 1x Lites which appear to be very streamlined in comparison and have three sections hinged near foot and knee. Want them prob don't need them kinda thing. Odd having calves looking nearly as big as my pants

I know. The jump seems dramatic. It tried the vapour line and they stuck out even more. Supreme did too. Never even tried the jet speed. I do want good protection but it’s how the liner is in then. I don’t want to remove it but it seems to sit under and make it stick so far out. I have been poking around for a simple liner to just put in and try but unfortunately I don’t want to buy it online or just buy a new pair and swap. I find all the 13 hover off my leg while 14 fit ok but are far too long. My calf’s aren’t even that large but they make them look huge. I feel it’s affecting my skating 

Is the shin guard sitting away from your shin because they're too narrow?  I've had a variety of shin guards over the past 5+ years (Super Tacks, Vapor X900, U+ CS, RBK 14k, etc) and most have really thin (almost pointless) liners so I can't see how a liner would create a fit issue (I now have Jofa 5090 pro stocks with the nice thick foam liner that actually provides cushioning unlike any of my previous pairs).

If it is a width thing maybe try a heat gun and open the plastic up a little wider?  I remember Craig Ludwig infamously took that to the extreme back in the 90's but a little extra width might do the trick if that is in fact the issue.

1 hour ago, xstartxtodayx said:

Is the shin guard sitting away from your shin because they're too narrow?  I've had a variety of shin guards over the past 5+ years (Super Tacks, Vapor X900, U+ CS, RBK 14k, etc) and most have really thin (almost pointless) liners so I can't see how a liner would create a fit issue (I now have Jofa 5090 pro stocks with the nice thick foam liner that actually provides cushioning unlike any of my previous pairs).

If it is a width thing maybe try a heat gun and open the plastic up a little wider?  I remember Craig Ludwig infamously took that to the extreme back in the 90's but a little extra width might do the trick if that is in fact the issue.

I had vapour and they were far too narrow. These fit good without the liner but not comfortable or protective. I have used a heat gun to widen them even more but it doesn’t make much of a difference. The liner seems to cause them to hover off my leg by 2-3 inches more than without anything. The width seems fine. Length seems fine. It’s just the liner causes them to stick out. This is the 2nd pair I’ve had this issue with. I had some super low end ones but they weren’t protective at all. Even they stuck out quite a ways. 

its like how the Velcro attaches down the centre. It spreads out but the middle just sticks up. Even with loads of tape to press it down no luck. 

12 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

Any way you can find someone to “hem” the liner?  Shorten it so it ends right at the top of the tongue?  

It’s more of a depth thing. The length is fine it has a removable price for those who wear it over the tongue. It is how much it makes my shin stuck out. Then the kneecap doesn’t quite fit right or bend with my knee. 

11 hours ago, Oilers97 said:

5’4. And it comes to about the middle of the tongue 

Sounds like you need to get a 12" shin pad. Middle of the tongue sounds like the shin pad is too long. Without seeing a picture, I could be wrong. But, here's a good video that shows about where the bottom of the shin pad should go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caveman27 said:

Sounds like you need to get a 12" shin pad. Middle of the tongue sounds like the shin pad is too long. Without seeing a picture, I could be wrong. But, here's a good video that shows about where the bottom of the shin pad should go.

A 13 is too small to go around my leg. A 14 almost fits as I’ve been told but about “an inch too long for senior” I’m exactly a 13. The issue is depth not length. I tried without the liner and hated it. But it did fit much better against my leg. The shin just isn’t wide enough and deep enough. Length is bang on. 

1 hour ago, Oilers97 said:

A 13 is too small to go around my leg. A 14 almost fits as I’ve been told but about “an inch too long for senior” I’m exactly a 13. The issue is depth not length. I tried without the liner and hated it. But it did fit much better against my leg. The shin just isn’t wide enough and deep enough. Length is bang on. 

Is it possible to take a photo of the shin pad and skate on your leg? 

22 hours ago, Oilers97 said:

I'm kinda the same.

A 14" fits well everywhere but length and a 13" doesn't wrap around my calf properly. I usually just go with a 14" and modify the shin and liner. I like to go under the tongue and don't like my shin to interfere with the cuff on my skate boot. 

I don’t know how to direct upload photos: 

On 2/8/2020 at 3:08 PM, caveman27 said:

Is it possible to take a photo of the shin pad and skate on your leg? 

https://imgur.com/gallery/LpiPOkt

im not a big human. What the he’ll do they stick out like that. None of my teammates have this issue as bad. And they are perfect lengthwise. 

8 hours ago, Oilers97 said:

I don’t know how to direct upload photos: 

https://imgur.com/gallery/LpiPOkt

im not a big human. What the he’ll do they stick out like that. None of my teammates have this issue as bad. And they are perfect lengthwise. 

Hmm, that's interesting.

Something about the base of the shin pad and the top of your skate is pushing it up. Bauer Nexus shin guards might be worth trying because the design is "old-fashioned" and the bottom will be more open compared to tapered or assymetrical fit.

13 hours ago, caveman27 said:

Hmm, that's interesting.

Something about the base of the shin pad and the top of your skate is pushing it up. Bauer Nexus shin guards might be worth trying because the design is "old-fashioned" and the bottom will be more open compared to tapered or assymetrical fit.

I’ve been looking. Like the length is good. I removed that additional piece of padding as it says if you wear it over to remove. I’ve pushed the liner up too. Like the liner doesn’t touch the skate. Just the plastic part. But it just makes my legs look massive. I’m 5’4 135 lb woman! Like no one else has shins that look this huge. 

13 hours ago, Oilers97 said:

I’ve been looking. Like the length is good. I removed that additional piece of padding as it says if you wear it over to remove. I’ve pushed the liner up too. Like the liner doesn’t touch the skate. Just the plastic part. But it just makes my legs look massive. I’m 5’4 135 lb woman! Like no one else has shins that look this huge. 

You could try STX shin guards. They have a 14-day trial period. You can tell they are going to work for you without even going on the ice or not. Just return them if they don't fit right.

Other thing, which is not recommended as it may alter the shell's strength, would be to heat up the plastic at the bottom of the shin guards with a heat gun, and spread them wider when they get hot. Hold them open until they cool down. 

1 hour ago, caveman27 said:

You could try STX shin guards. They have a 14-day trial period. You can tell they are going to work for you without even going on the ice or not. Just return them if they don't fit right.

Other thing, which is not recommended as it may alter the shell's strength, would be to heat up the plastic at the bottom of the shin guards with a heat gun, and spread them wider when they get hot. Hold them open until they cool down. 

I really don’t want to buy more shin guards. I’ve tried

-Bauer x60 WAY worse than these for sticking out. 
-Bauer S190 they gave me the wrong lenth

-cheap warriors. Ok but super low quality and didn’t feel safe in them. 
-these CCM super tacks. 

I have used a heat gun on them a few times but was nervous to bend them too far or get them too hot. I just need them to hug my leg not to stick out on top. And I feel the liner is some of the issue. It’s not very padded and just hovers off the pad instead of being more on the  bottom 

2 hours ago, Oilers97 said:

-these CCM super tacks. 

I have used a heat gun on them a few times but was nervous to bend them too far or get them too hot. I just need them to hug my leg not to stick out on top. And I feel the liner is some of the issue. It’s not very padded and just hovers off the pad instead of being more on the  bottom 

STX would be risk free, as they can easily be returned.  I'd go with the Stallion/HPR line given your issue.  Outside of that, go to the best stocked LHS in your area and try EVERYTHING on.  This is what I did.  Ended up with a pair of Tacks (not the Supers, as I couldn't justify the cost for my usage).  Looks like most of what you've tried are a pretty tapered profile.  A more traditional Nexus/HPR wide fit might be better.

I've lost the thread a bit, but are the shins interfering with your skating?  Or is it more aesthetic/looks?   

Edited by krisdrum

4 hours ago, Oilers97 said:

-these CCM super tacks. 

You could try wearing the shin pad under the tongue. It's not really that bad. I've been wearing it like that since 1986. At that time, it was impossible to wear your shin pad over your tongue because the hockey socks had a stirrup in them.

2 hours ago, krisdrum said:

STX would be risk free, as they can easily be returned.  I'd go with the Stallion/HPR line given your issue.  Outside of that, go to the best stocked LHS in your area and try EVERYTHING on.  This is what I did.  Ended up with a pair of Tacks (not the Supers, as I couldn't justify the cost for my usage).  Looks like most of what you've tried are a pretty tapered profile.  A more traditional Nexus/HPR wide fit might be better.

I've lost the thread a bit, but are the shins interfering with your skating?  Or is it more aesthetic/looks?   

Well, they are huge. The stick out and yes it does affect my skating. The straps don’t go around my leg over or under. So they hover off. I have external straps and tape. They just won’t sit flush. It’s not the best feeling. It should protect around the side a bit too. Not sit on top. It’s because I’m an adult in jr pads is my thinking. Without he liner they fit flush enough. But ifs not comfy at all. 

32 minutes ago, caveman27 said:

You could try wearing the shin pad under the tongue. It's not really that bad. I've been wearing it like that since 1986. At that time, it was impossible to wear your shin pad over your tongue because the hockey socks had a stirrup in them.

I’ve tried that and it’s not much better. I may just switch to nexus if I can find a pair 

4 hours ago, Oilers97 said:

I’ve tried that and it’s not much better. I may just switch to nexus if I can find a pair 

You wore them under the tongue and the entire shin guard was sticking out as much?

Are you wearing some additional knee braces, or storing a ham and cheese sub on your shins?

• Haha 1

Howdy,

I'm probably missing something here but it seems like you should be able to tell what part of the shin guard is contacting what part of your leg 'early' and causing the shin guard to sit out away from your leg too much.

Which part is that?  Can you take some pics of the shin guard on your leg without socks/tape (and maybe without the skates on either)?

Mark