Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Oilers97

Changing out shin pad liners

On 2/12/2020 at 7:42 AM, marka said:

Howdy,

I'm probably missing something here but it seems like you should be able to tell what part of the shin guard is contacting what part of your leg 'early' and causing the shin guard to sit out away from your leg too much.

Which part is that?  Can you take some pics of the shin guard on your leg without socks/tape (and maybe without the skates on either)?

Mark

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZUnOOo2

4 hours ago, Oilers97 said:

So, two things. First, the AR straps aren't doing anything to help with the excess bulk. Second, that pad isn't even close to fitting you. Your legs are too wide for that pad, which is why it sits proud of your shin. The lack of wrap in the last pic was the tell. 

I'd look for a wider fitting pad, or go bigger and modify the bottom.

• Like 4

Howdy,

Yeah, agreed with Mike about that shin not being wide enough for you.

If it were me, I'd break out the heat gun and a cylinder with a little bigger diameter or something to form the plastic a bit and see if I could make it a little wider.  Might end up destroying the pad if you goof it up, but its not like its working for you the way it is, so you don't have a lot to lose...  I would remove as much padding as I could easily, heat the whole pad in the areas where I wanted it wider, then press it down onto the cylinder and keep it there until it cooled.  I would use just enough heat to make it a little more pliable.  If it 'sprang back' after cooling, I'd heat it while it was on the cylinder/form.

Mark

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oilers97 said:

So I should find a nexus pair? 

Hmm, the Supreme 2s Pros look wider, maybe start there.

5 hours ago, Oilers97 said:

And I’m not even a big person. I’m very confused. It was worse with the x60s 

It's not about big or small. It's the shape of your lower leg and finding the right pad for you.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 3:07 PM, Oilers97 said:

I really don’t want to buy more shin guards. I’ve tried

-Bauer x60 WAY worse than these for sticking out. 

I have 13" Bauer Vapor X100. I'm short and have thick legs. I actually had to modify the strap to make it longer to go around my calf. The shell doesn't wrap around like the Super Tacks. I have no idea why the X60 were sticking out even more for you. At the risk of possible embarrassment, can you post pictures of your shins without shin guards on.

Women do tend to have calf muscles that are lower and larger than men.  The anatomy is not the same.  This is why women's alpine ski boots are typically a lower cut, to accommodate the calf more comfortably.  I have found my Tacks to be a pretty tapered/anatomical fit, although not necessarily "low profile".  I think you need to try a bunch of stuff on and see which pads have an internal shape that most closely matches your lower leg. 

10 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

f it were me, I'd break out the heat gun and a cylinder with a little bigger diameter or something to form the plastic a bit and see if I could make it a little wider.  

I’d worry about heating and bending shin guards. If the plastic gets weak, a lucky shot could break the plastic and break your shin, which will cost a lot more than buying new shins trying to sell off the old ones. Worst case scenario, but....

18 hours ago, stick9 said:

Hmm, the Supreme 2s Pros look wider, maybe start there.

It's not about big or small. It's the shape of your lower leg and finding the right pad for you.

Ok. I found 14” 1S pads. They were awful. My legs felt so heavy and the pads felt as if my legs weighed an extra 5lb each probably due to the length pushing down. The 2S Pro 13” I tried in the store aren’t deep enough. I’m seriously stuck. 14” Sr The depth is perfect! Length is too long. 13 length is bang on and the depth will not work. 

Obvious advice, but if you can, try on a bunch of of 14”s. Where that extra inch is added and measured and how it feels can change between models.  

If you wanna get nuts, here’s a thread where people talk about cutting the bottom off of shin guards to address the same problem you are having. 

6 minutes ago, start_today said:

Obvious advice, but if you can, try on a bunch of of 14”s. Where that extra inch is added and measured and how it feels can change between models.  

If you wanna get nuts, here’s a thread where people talk about cutting the bottom off of shin guards to address the same problem you are having. 

Thanks I’ll look into it. I’m pretty much stuck at this point. 

If you don't want to risk damaging the shin maybe a shoe shop could do the trim for you? It would probably be trivial to do well with the machinery and skills they have. I'd imagine they could gently remove the bottom bumper strip and resew it for you to make the right-volume-but-too-long pad tailored to your height.

4 hours ago, stick9 said:

This may be the only instance where we advise the OP to skip leg days. 😉

Maybe keep your eyes open for some pro-stocks.

Been looking. 14” is the smallest they come. They must be wide for the pros haha. I want old jofa rbk but as was mentioned I may just get them cut and done properly when find a pair I like. May try to cut a cheap pair and give it a go as well. Thanks everyone!

1 hour ago, Oilers97 said:

Been looking. 14” is the smallest they come. They must be wide for the pros haha. I want old jofa rbk but as was mentioned I may just get them cut and done properly when find a pair I like. May try to cut a cheap pair and give it a go as well. Thanks everyone!

I’ve dealt with a similar issue as well, but my shins may not be quite as short as yours.

What ended up working for me eventually was the Bauer Pro Series shins that came out in 2010.   They were the predecessor to nexus protective and came in adult 13” size so they were noticeably deeper fitting than any other 13” jr shin on the market(including the top of the line Reebok 10k at the time).and I also found they tended to run a touch shorter than anything else on the market.  I also remember checking out the the Nexus 8000 line as well looking for a possible replacement down the road in case my pro series went caput and found they had a very similar fit as well.  So maybe check to see if you can find nexus 8000(or even 6000) in 13”.

2 hours ago, th6252 said:

I’ve dealt with a similar issue as well, but my shins may not be quite as short as yours.

What ended up working for me eventually was the Bauer Pro Series shins that came out in 2010.   They were the predecessor to nexus protective and came in adult 13” size so they were noticeably deeper fitting than any other 13” jr shin on the market(including the top of the line Reebok 10k at the time).and I also found they tended to run a touch shorter than anything else on the market.  I also remember checking out the the Nexus 8000 line as well looking for a possible replacement down the road in case my pro series went caput and found they had a very similar fit as well.  So maybe check to see if you can find nexus 8000(or even 6000) in 13”.

I’ve looked everywhere for nexus 8000 😞 nowhere online or in a store. They had one in a 12” at the LHS but nothing else sadly. It‘s awful 13” sr is all I need. JR is way too narrow and shallow for an adult. 

7 hours ago, Oilers97 said:

I’ve looked everywhere for nexus 8000 😞 nowhere online or in a store. They had one in a 12” at the LHS but nothing else sadly. It‘s awful 13” sr is all I need. JR is way too narrow and shallow for an adult. 

https://sidelineswap.com/shop/hockey/shin-guards/bauer/nexus-8000-3/l1513?shin-size[]=23321

ghe liners look like garbage, maybe one of the liners you have might fit the shell

On 2/15/2020 at 7:27 PM, Oilers97 said:

I ended up cutting out the two straps (4 total) inside my jofa/RBK 4k's and they sit much closer to my shin bone now with all the the regular padding still intact. Maybe it's a prostock thing but sure seems like overkill having that 1 in gap of space where the shin guard is more or less floating in front of your shin bone. I suppose I could see where it might be a benefit if the shinguard isn't pressing on your skate or lower shin but instead is basically seated on your shin bone instead kinda floating so it doesn't interfere with your stride.. anyhow... maybe that's the benefit or trade-off on the bulky looking jofas, w the inner straps. The 14's are quite wide and I have medium-big calve muscles and so the "wrap" improved after I took a knife to the straps (upper and lower each shin guard just removed the stitching at the attachment points...not much to it.) They look the same otherwise but without the ridiculous thickness front to back. One could remove just the lowers or uppers or all of them.  I know you are talking about modding the 14's for length but thought I'd follow up on what I ended up doing. I haven't really seen any other shins that have the inner straps aside from these older rbk/jofas/ I ended up with.