Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JimmyTheDriver

Thoughts on these skates "flexing"?

Hey fellas,  I have been skating in these CCM Ribcore 80ks for a couple of weeks and noticed bowing/flexing on both skates, inside, between the second and third eyelets.  I don't recall any of my other skates flexing like this here, but these are also CCMs "Flexframe" design and I wonder if it could be normal.  Anyone have a clue?  Link is to Google photos which includes a video.

In my head they feel ok, but if these were past skates, I'd probably have thought this was the sign of them breaking down and look at replacing.  My older skates were also as stiff as they come, whereas these are designed to have some flex, I think?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/N6pUdcg2AUthJSdZ7

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by JimmyTheDriver

I have Platinums which is the 78k boot.  I don’t notice any flexing after about 15 hours in them but I don’t lace my top eyelet when playing and usually two when coaching and secondly, I think I am very borderline volume-wise so my foot sits a bit proud in the skate, which I think changes the way the facing kind of gets affected by by ankle flexion.

I know the ribcor line is supposed to have "some flex", but that does not look right to me. I personally have never owned a pair, however I would highly recommend following up with the store of purchase or CCM. I had a pair of jetspeeds in the past, I felt like they came up really high in comparison to my Vapors, so I had to skate with the top eyelet undone, or suffer from lace bite. Looking back it might have been a pitch issue? I am not sure, I have only owned one pair of ccm's in the last 15 years.

It looks like the boot will eventually suffer and fall apart at that area, unless anyone confirms who owns a pair this is to be expected.

May be a volume issue? Maybe tying the skate too tightly or loosely for your foot shape?

Also, when I did have some issues with my skates CCM was very, very hard to deal with, they did not help me, it was on their 700$ roller skates, claimed they do not make, or will not make roller equipment again, only to see them MAKE MORE lol. Not to mention the rep I spoke too was very, very French Canadian, which is fine, however I really had a hard time understanding him. It took multiple attempts to even get responses before I called also. This may have changed this was maybe 3-4 years back? I do not remember exactly.

Edited by Bender94

They look like they have way too much volume for your foot and are too wide - based on how far around your forefoot those eyelets are wrapping.

I imagine all the negative space is then causing the boot to crease as shown in the pictures as the material tries to make its way back to your foot once you tighten the skate. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

They look like they have way too much volume for your foot and are too wide - based on how far around your forefoot those eyelets are wrapping.

I imagine all the negative space is then causing the boot to crease as shown in the pictures as the material tries to make its way back to your foot once you tighten the skate. 

Agreed. Though if the width is ok, and it is just a volume problem, i.e. your foot is too thin, you might try putting a piece a felt or something on the bottom of the tongue to decrease negative space. It's not the ideal fix, but could work.

58 minutes ago, Davideo said:

Agreed. Though if the width is ok, and it is just a volume problem, i.e. your foot is too thin, you might try putting a piece a felt or something on the bottom of the tongue to decrease negative space. It's not the ideal fix, but could work. 

Here is where I get stuck - there is no negative space.  When tied up, they are truly the most form fitting skates I've ever worn, including Makos. If that little lace facia break down (if thats what it is) didnt occur, they are the best skates I've ever owned.

Everything else chews up the top of my foot, or rubs my "accessory navicular" above my arch.

Damn it.

8 minutes ago, JimmyTheDriver said:

Here is where I get stuck - there is no negative space.  When tied up, they are truly the most form fitting skates I've ever worn, including Makos. If that little lace facia break down (if thats what it is) didnt occur, they are the best skates I've ever owned.

Everything else chews up the top of my foot, or rubs my "accessory navicular" above my arch.

Damn it.

If you compare how close the two sides of the skate are compared to a more "normal" fitting skate you will see that yours are much closer together. This isn't necessarily a problem, but I'm guessing is what is leading to the creasing.

Just now, Davideo said:

If you compare how close the two sides of the skate are compared to a more "normal" fitting skate you will see that yours are much closer together. This isn't necessarily a problem, but I'm guessing is what is leading to the creasing.

You are right on that.  None of my past skates came that close together.  Man... I was just hoping to avoid custom.

18 hours ago, Davideo said:

And he's lacing all the way up on a fairly high cut boot. Skipping the top eyelet could help.

Edited by stick9

2 hours ago, stick9 said:

And he's lacing all the way up on a fairly high cut boot. Skipping the top eyelet could help.

I’ll give it a shot.  They are so form fitting I would be fine without the top. At this point I’m still in the 90 day CCM warranty.  Throw in the towel or see how they ride out another 20 days?  If these fail I’d have to go custom to address high instep and accessory navicular.

I rebaked mine and took an aluminum finger splint and trimmed it up and taped it to my accessory navicular to help bump the boot out once I put it on.  That and the orthomove insoles helped a bit.  I can feel it when I put them on initially but it actually feels better once I skate a bit.

7 minutes ago, JimmyTheDriver said:

I’m 175 lbs and it’s a top model skate.  But yeah it’s similar to that.

I am the same weight, but I do not think the skates themselves are that stiff right?  I just remember having this issue on my old inline skates, but have not experienced that since. In my inline skates basically once it happened it just kept getting worse. My stride is better now too and I do not really fold forward as I used to on inline skates.

11 minutes ago, maximus91 said:

I am the same weight, but I do not think the skates themselves are that stiff right?  I just remember having this issue on my old inline skates, but have not experienced that since. In my inline skates basically once it happened it just kept getting worse. My stride is better now too and I do not really fold forward as I used to on inline skates.

They pitch these as “flexframe”... softer flex on the front, stiffer in the back of the boot.  But... lol.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/a1vXrPCk19Qb71kr8

4 minutes ago, maximus91 said:

yeah - that is awful. No way a new skate should break band like that.

I guess I return them and try custom.  I don’t mind spending the money... these just felt nice for 700.  Tough since I drove 4 hours to get them, 4 hours home, then went back for a holder issue. To do a return plus 3D... another trip.  Who’s making the best customs these days?  

Just have the accessory navicular area punched on a good fitting skate.  If the skates are creasing this quickly I can't see them holding up in the long run.  I'd be worried the boot is going to break down prematurely.  

56 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

Just have the accessory navicular area punched on a good fitting skate.  If the skates are creasing this quickly I can't see them holding up in the long run.  I'd be worried the boot is going to break down prematurely.  

That’s an easy area to hit with a punch?  Would have been nice for them to pitch that to me when trying on skates for 3 hours.

Yeah, it should be super easy to punch. Also, with the increase moldability of skates, I’ve found that both Vapors and Supremes now accommodate my accessory navicular with no issue, when they didn’t seven years ago. Spots that feel tight when initially tryingn on, may open as the boot forms around your foot  

Your shop didn’t suggest or offer punching, and let you walk out the door with those skates...is there any where else available? 

I assume if you’re driving three hours there aren’t a lot of options, but can you drive three hours the other way? 

Also be mindful when you get your skates punched, that the area might move as you load up your foot. 

I learnt that when I got my Navicular area punched, felt great when I laced up, but then when I skate my foot collapses and causes a bigger pain because now there's a ledge for my Navicular to hang off of. The place that fixed the boot the 2nd time used a rod shape instead of the normal ball shape to extend the punched area. It worked ok until I got tired of the issue creeping up again that I went with Customs a year after the purchase. 

14 hours ago, start_today said:

Yeah, it should be super easy to punch. Also, with the increase moldability of skates, I’ve found that both Vapors and Supremes now accommodate my accessory navicular with no issue, when they didn’t seven years ago. Spots that feel tight when initially tryingn on, may open as the boot forms around your foot  

Some materials are more thermoform able than others. Often times I've seen Bauer models with Curv mold around the bone and not require any punching.  Nylon boots on the other hand often require punching.  Either way any reputable shop should have the know how and tools to take care of it.

33 minutes ago, Giltis said:

Also be mindful when you get your skates punched, that the area might move as you load up your foot. 

I learnt that when I got my Navicular area punched, felt great when I laced up, but then when I skate my foot collapses and causes a bigger pain because now there's a ledge for my Navicular to hang off of. The place that fixed the boot the 2nd time used a rod shape instead of the normal ball shape to extend the punched area. It worked ok until I got tired of the issue creeping up again that I went with Customs a year after the purchase. 

What customs worked for you?  I am considering that route and was wondering if the custom mold compensates for it. 

For first time customs in most cases the fitter should make note of any troublesome area and customs' department decides how to address it.  Keep in mind that even with customs you might still need to do some tweaking afterwards.

29 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

For first time customs in most cases the fitter should make note of any troublesome area and customs' department decides how to address it.  Keep in mind that even with customs you might still need to do some tweaking afterwards.

Where do you fellas go to get such treatment?  I have no hate for Pure Hockey - they have treated me very well through this process, and seem willing to help, but it just doesn't feel like this level of expertise exists at the store fronts.