Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
z1ggy

Most protective shins in the last 1-2 years?

6 hours ago, the iceman said:

Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know how the Jetspeed shins hold up for protection? Thanks.

There's one review that's not too positive, I could've sworn I've seen others but can't find them right now:

When I tried the FT1's on, they struck me as similar to the Vapor 1x which I ditched for the Nexus 2n's.  Shots went right through those Vapor's,  and when I landed on my knees, the shock went right through my hips, back, and  and neck.  I love the FT1 elbow pads...not the shinguards.  If I played forward and wasn't a physical player...maybe then. 

I'm in two leagues...one is light stuff...can wear anything. The other is up to ex-minors/college/junior level...I need protection from that bunch. 

Edited by Jbear
  • Like 1

I have the QLT 290s, predecessor to the Jetspeed line. I play D in a B-ish league with a lot of guys who played D3 or club hockey. So, I’m getting hit by shots from people who have a general idea of how to shoot. I’ve never gotten hurt through the front padding/plastic blocking a shot. I don’t intentionally put myself in position to get hit on the back or side. Those areas have less padding (vented hard plastic on anterior sides, padded foam on interior sides). You’ll definitely feel a shot in those areas. 

The stiching on my straps is garbage. I’ve had so many rips/tears at anchor points. They’re probably 4 years old at this point, so I expect some wear, but these starting ripping after a few months. 

As mentioned, above, I find the padding in the knee cap lacking. Maybe it’s compressed and packed-in over the years?

But, overall protection from shots has been great, and I’ve never had an issue.  

I have tried them all (Bauer and CCM best across all lines) and I always end up back with Rbk 10k's, 11k's, 8k pro etc. I made a decision a few years ago to not change what I thought was a near on perfect guard so I purchased spares and with an understanding tailor I hopefully will never have to change. They still appear now and again for sale eg if you wore a 15" I'd buy these in a heartbeat https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reebok-11K-NHL-Jofa-15-shin-guards-Sr-senior-ice-hockey/274226538385?hash=item3fd92ce791:g:wpAAAOSwafJeLGRr.

I wish there was a chart somewhere that broke down all the Reebok skinnies...there are so many sticks...I would be interested in trying some (I like trying different gear) but no idea where to find info.  If anyone knows of such a resource...it would be most welcome!

40 minutes ago, Jbear said:

I wish there was a chart somewhere that broke down all the Reebok skinnies...there are so many sticks...I would be interested in trying some (I like trying different gear) but no idea where to find info.  If anyone knows of such a resource...it would be most welcome!

I agree, reebok line is confusing. What's the top most top model and then maybe the next one down? I see a few pro stock floating around... 

Thanks to all for your help regarding the Jetspeed shins. I was thinking about switching to lighter shins but after all of your feedback, I will stick with my Reebok 10Ks.

Edited by the iceman

I think you are making a good decision. I just picked up a pair of 18K's ten minutes ago. I'm loving the Nexus 2n's but I'm playing so much now...and the price is too good to ignore! 

On 2/7/2020 at 11:43 AM, the iceman said:

Picked up a lightly used pair of 2Ns for like $85. Will report back on how they are... Still may look to find a set of pro stock 20k or something for my back up set. 

Edited by z1ggy

Cool. Do let us know what you think about them. I wanna know if anyone else thinks they're as good as I do.  I will say this...I don't think we're going to see these newer pads lasting ten to twenty years like the oldies.  Of course...they dry in ten seconds and weigh next to nothing comparatively. 

On 2/10/2020 at 8:57 AM, Jbear said:

Cool. Do let us know what you think about them. I wanna know if anyone else thinks they're as good as I do.  I will say this...I don't think we're going to see these newer pads lasting ten to twenty years like the oldies.  Of course...they dry in ten seconds and weigh next to nothing comparatively. 

I tried really hard to take a clapper off the shins last night but to no avail. However, the fit was really good and I realized after the game I didn't even tape them and they weren't moving around on me at all. More protective feeling/looking than the 1s and remind me a lot of the One80s. 

On 2/10/2020 at 6:11 AM, z1ggy said:

Picked up a lightly used pair of 2Ns for like $85. Will report back on how they are... Still may look to find a set of pro stock 20k or something for my back up set. 

Thats a very good price 

On 2/4/2020 at 11:05 AM, SkateWorksPNW said:

The 2S Pro shins have decent protection but are not nearly as protective as the Super Tacks AS1 shins.

If I was wearing my AS1 shins I am pretty sure I would not have had this much bruising from taking a shot off the front of my shin. It's crazy how the bruise wraps around the entire calf and such when the impact from the puck was directly into the front of the shinpad itself. 

G7NMsHv.jpg

6Nq2No0.jpg

1b8CmSD.jpg

Wow. I have taken more shots than I can count on the front and sides of my Reebok 20K Pros (which are actually retail) and no issue. Only complaint is the knee protection is a bit sparse padding wise. But shin/calf protection has done me well.

On 2/14/2020 at 9:39 PM, SkateWorksPNW said:

Thats a very good price 

Side line swap ftw!

On 2/10/2020 at 8:57 AM, Jbear said:

So I've played twice now, still haven't taken any shots off them or fallen but I might have taken a hack to them today? Tough to tell... Didn't feel anything so if I did, then these worked well lol. 

If any one wants to buy my 1s shins... Pm me. Got then new, wore twice. 

Played my first game in the 18k's.  Like them a lot, but honestly...definitely not any better than the Nexus 2n shinnies.  The Reeboks weigh a little bit less on the scale (I forgot exactly how much less...will will re-weigh it anyone wants), and are marginally less bulky but on the ice I didn't notice at all.  They are comfortable and perhaps a little cooler...again...nothing drastic.  I like the protection above the knee better, but otherwise, the Bauers have better and more complete calf protection as well as better side of the knee domes.  They also do a better job absorbing impact from both shots and hitting the ice.  The Reeboks did the job well, but I can definitely feel more though them.  For what I paid...definitely nice to have, but if I could keep one pair...definitely the Nexus 2n. Now...I'm curious as to how the older Reeboks and Jofas would compare.  They would have to be less comfortable and heavier with the materials that were being used at time.  Am I mistaken?  I had DR Centurians in the early 90's...They were like wearing riot gear but ridiculously bulky and hot.  I think they're still in the basement if anyone wants them.  Anyway...awesome discussion...next experiment for me...AS1's...no time soon though.

• Like 1

Just finally upgraded after taking a real rough shot to the knee a few weeks ago. I had been using some old Bauer Supreme's from when I was a kid, they were only 13" and I definitely am a 14-15, so even when taped sometimes they would drop a bit. Took an attempted ice off the inside knee, direct on bone - was good incentive to go out and buy something new!

So anyways, I got lucky and got a 2 year old (but never used, tags still on) pair of Bauer Nexus 1N for $40

Overall these are wicked comfortable and definitely have a better/more robust strapping system than the old ones I replaced - the only thing I DISLIKE about them? The shin surface is sort of strangly angular - yes probably good for aerodynamics but it makes any time you do fall to the knees akward as it almost feels like my legs want to slide outward from under me. Took a couple of weeks of getting used to, but for the comfort (and price) I still really like them. I went up to 14" and they have some pads above the knee you can push up or down to modify for sizing/comfort. Not sure how this year's model compares to these but they seem similar just different style/color

My CCM FT1s cracked on the knee caps on both. The crack started at the corner of the vents. If the vents had rounded corners, they'd probably be fine. 

The thigh guard flap above the knee cap is pretty worthless. It's a super lightweight soft foam that doesn't offer much protection. Other than those two problems, they are very lightweight and comfortable. They are vented well and stay mostly dry.