Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
lilcros

Hockey stlye nowadays

Hi all!

Please share your thoughts on nowadays hockey attributes or qualities. Of course the game has gotten faster, but maybe point out the tactical side of the game. Also, where the game is developing in the future. Maybe the offensive D-men will have bigger roles in the future etc.

Let's take NBA for example, where the role of a big man has hindered and the 3P shot is having an huge effect on the game. It used to be dominant big guys in the paint, but now the bigs are spreading the floor and hitting threes.

Also, in soccer the Liverpool is doing high pressing in defence to make the opposing team commit a turnover. Its the opposite, where Barcelona for example used to control the ball all the time and make their Tiki-taka play count.

Cheers!

On 2/4/2020 at 10:17 AM, lilcros said:
Hi all!

Please share your thoughts on nowadays hockey attributes or qualities. Of course the game has gotten faster, but maybe point out the tactical side of the game. Also, where the game is developing in the future. Maybe the offensive D-men will have bigger roles in the future etc.

Let's take NBA for example, where the role of a big man has hindered and the 3P shot is having an huge effect on the game. It used to be dominant big guys in the paint, but now the bigs are spreading the floor and hitting threes.

Also, in soccer the Liverpool is doing high pressing in defence to make the opposing team commit a turnover. Its the opposite, where Barcelona for example used to control the ball all the time and make their Tiki-taka play count.

Cheers!

Ice hockey has been evolving in little bits and pieces. Kind of like baseball, there's only so many different approaches you can take to alter the game with bigger players. 

Tall goalies seems to be the norm now, where as in the past, you could be under 5'10" and still be good. You can be under 5'10" but your ability to go pro is pretty small.

Tall defensemen like Chara, they are desirable, but only so many guys are that tall, strong, fast and have hockey sense. You can have an offensive D-man, like he's always joining the rush, but you don't want all your defensemen to be the same way. Other team will find more breakaway chances that way.  A defensive D-man is also desirable, and not as many measurable stats to show how they help the team out. They can block shots, but tactically, a defensive D-man who has good hockey sense and is disciplined to not be sloppy in his zone, well he can stop goals and passse, but there are things statistics aren't measured: number of times he pressures the puck handler to pass the puck away, clears the puck in a penalty kill, or pushes/blocks wingers out to prevent rebound attempts. These are things where he's not even touching the puck. His number of goals and assists might be low but he's very instrumental in preventing his goalie from geting eaten alive.

Since zone coverage and 1-3-1 tactics have been popularized by some NHL teams, you can get some boring hockey where one team is stopping the other team from being able to set up plays beyond the neutral zone, but they aren't making headway in the offensive zone either. 

4 hours ago, Left Wing King said:

From my point of view Tampa did nothing wrong. Flyers players should have come back down low to try and break out. 

Yes, Tampa was closing off passing lanes at the red line, thus forcing the Flyers to dump the puck or lose the puck. And like your saying, Flyers's forwards should have come back down to reset their attack.

11 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I'm curious to know what rule they were blowing the whistle on.

Mark

You have to make an effort to advance the puck, you can't just stand there.

Howdy,

On 6/28/2020 at 10:42 AM, BenBreeg said:

You have to make an effort to advance the puck, you can't just stand there.

What rule requires that?  I can't find anything like that with a bit of searching.

Mark

26 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

What rule requires that?  I can't find anything like that with a bit of searching.

Mark

Dunno, I'm not an official but my understanding was that you always have to be attempting to advance the puck.  You can stop and assess the situation while your team sets up or the like but what the Flyers were doing was just stopping the game.  I could be wrong but that was always my understanding.  Similar philosophy to whistling a frozen puck on the boards maybe?

27 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

72.1 is the best I can find and seems to be a rule that is pretty wide-open for interpretation as there are no specific details. 

• Like 1

63.1 could also apply and is very broad. I'd have thought they would have clarified this with some rule changes, iihf is quite specific about the flow of the game.

Edited by Vet88

Howdy,

39 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

63.1 could also apply and is very broad. I'd have thought they would have clarified this with some rule changes, iihf is quite specific about the flow of the game.

Can't be this, as there wasn't a penalty called.

I bet Chris has it.  Thanks!
Mark

• Like 1

A defenseman's ability to transition the puck is going to be the skill that is most emphasized for a while going forward.  With the way metrics and analytics are being employed, limiting opponent's possession and shot events are most focused on, and that means getting the puck out of the defending zone quickly, efficiently, and under control.  This is primarily true on a transition.  A defenseman needs to be able to skate back and beat a forward to a puck, and make a good, controlled first pass, usually under heavy forecheck.  If control is established in the zone, for the most part, the passive zone is dead and defense has gone to a more active zone where someone is always pressuring the puck trying to regain possession and move the puck out.  The days of sitting and letting the other team have the puck on the outside and waiting for them to come to you are over.  Defense is a team system that relies on all 5 players to work.  There isn't really such a thing as a "defensive" or "offensive" defenseman anymore.  Sure, some guys join the rush more often and put up more points.  But every defenseman has to be able to skate up into the play on every transition, and be active in the offensive zone.  Those space filling, shot blocking warriors of the early- to mid- 2010's like Girardi or Orpik aren't wanted in today's game.  Even the most "defensive" or "stay-at-home" defenseman today would have been considered an "offensive" defenseman even just 10 years ago.

Edited by psulion22

On 7/1/2020 at 4:16 PM, marka said:

Can't be this, as there wasn't a penalty called.

Oops, you are right, I keep thinking of iihf rules or our national inline rules where a few years ago they introduced a specific penalty rule to cover this (players taking the puck behind the net and freezing it there).

Thinking more on this there is another situation, which happens often, but not specifically covered in the rules is when an event happens (say a hand pass not in the defensive zone to a team mate) who then wont play the puck and an opposition player also wont play the puck because he is at a disadvantage (eg line changes occuring). You end up with players around the puck and no one wanting to play it. I've seen this happen a number of times and the referee blows the play dead.

6 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Oops, you are right, I keep thinking of iihf rules or our national inline rules where a few years ago they introduced a specific penalty rule to cover this (players taking the puck behind the net and freezing it there).

Thinking more on this there is another situation, which happens often, but not specifically covered in the rules is when an event happens (say a hand pass not in the defensive zone to a team mate) who then wont play the puck and an opposition player also wont play the puck because he is at a disadvantage (eg line changes occuring). You end up with players around the puck and no one wanting to play it. I've seen this happen a number of times and the referee blows the play dead.

72.2 specifically covers that exact situation (refusal to play after a hand pass)

• Like 1