Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Braden

Tydan Blacksteel compared to Step Blacksteel

Step Steel is quite specific about detailing their quality of Steel and that it comes from Sweden where it is manufactured to very high quality and strength specifications. I haven’t found a definitive explanation about Tydan Steel other than that it is “said” to be the best available, and something about extensive heat treating. I’ve even seen reports seeming to suggeat that Tydan is simply LS3 or LS4 runner steel that has been treated and coated. I haven’t heard nearly as good things about the LS3-LS4 steel as I have of Step Steel or even Tydan compared to LS-3/4. I’m a bit suspicious of that. Do you know how the exact manufactured quality of Tydan Steel would compare to that of Step Steel prior to heat treating Tydan. It sounds more like Step Steel goes for the best steel right away from the start, whereas Tydan simply heat treats lower quality LS3/4 steel. That may not even be accurate. A lot of people say that they can’t determine one as better than the other who have skates on both. I’d like to know the exact type of steel that Tydans are made of of the carbon diamond coating variety compared to the exact type of steel used to manufacture Step Steel.

I don’t know what’s true exactly, but I’d like to know if I can get an exact steel quality comparison aside from marketing. Tydan says they have the best steel and so does Step.

I’m also interested in your personal experience if you can offer it as to how Step Steels differently shaped toe and heel effects performance. Not so much pertaining to personal oppinion of better or worse, but in terms of if you master Step Steels design what kinds of skating and maneuvering qualities it offers compared to the design that Tydan offers.

I was particularly interested in a comparison between Step Steel blacksteel and Tydan Black steel diamond like carbon coatings.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Braden said:

Step Steel is quite specific about detailing their quality of Steel and that it comes from Sweden where it is manufactured to very high quality and strength specifications. I haven’t found a definitive explanation about Tydan Steel other than that it is “said” to be the best available, and something about extensive heat treating. I’ve even seen reports seeming to suggeat that Tydan is simply LS3 or LS4 runner steel that has been treated and coated. I haven’t heard nearly as good things about the LS3-LS4 steel as I have of Step Steel or even Tydan compared to LS-3/4. I’m a bit suspicious of that. Do you know how the exact manufactured quality of Tydan Steel would compare to that of Step Steel prior to heat treating Tydan. It sounds more like Step Steel goes for the best steel right away from the start, whereas Tydan simply heat treats lower quality LS3/4 steel. That may not even be accurate. A lot of people say that they can’t determine one as better than the other who have skates on both. I’d like to know the exact type of steel that Tydans are made of of the carbon diamond coating variety compared to the exact type of steel used to manufacture Step Steel.

I don’t know what’s true exactly, but I’d like to know if I can get an exact steel quality comparison aside from marketing. Tydan says they have the best steel and so does Step.

I’m also interested in your personal experience if you can offer it as to how Step Steels differently shaped toe and heel effects performance. Not so much pertaining to personal oppinion of better or worse, but in terms of if you master Step Steels design what kinds of skating and maneuvering qualities it offers compared to the design that Tydan offers.

I was particularly interested in a comparison between Step Steel blacksteel and Tydan Black steel diamond like carbon coatings.

Thanks!

Tydan uses Sandvik co.'s 12C27 steel which I believe is the same as STEP. IMO, they are both the same quality of steel and where they specifically differ in the shape of their steel and the fact that Tydan offers a few more options than STEP such as coating, polished steel, and also shorter steel for those that dont want super tall steel. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Tydan uses Sandvik co.'s 12C27 steel which I believe is the same as STEP. IMO, they are both the same quality of steel and where they specifically differ in the shape of their steel and the fact that Tydan offers a few more options than STEP such as coating, polished steel, and also shorter steel for those that dont want super tall steel. 

Actually Step will do the samenif requested. (Shorter steel) 

Step is extremely consistant in quality and production. 

Advanced issues found

32 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Actually Step will do the same if requested. (Shorter steel) 

Step is extremely consistent in quality and production. 

My understanding is the offering for shorter steel might be phased out soon. Any idea if that is true? 

I had regular 3mm Step on my last pair of Bauer goalie skates with cowlings and loved it.  When I went to Supreme 1S (size 10) I hated the stock steel, but being in the US I couldn't get Step so I went with the Tydan DLC.   I've since moved on to a pair of True's (9.5, so different holder/steel size) and am using a Bauer holder and LS5G steel.  I sharpen my own skates and am very particular about my edges.  I would say that the Step seemed to hold an edge better than the Tydan.  The Tydan was definitely better than LS3G steel but I didn't like it as much as Step or LS5G.   Just personal preference and anecdotal evidence, but I felt like the Tydan needed to be sharpened more often than either of the other two.  One thing that was definitely factual was that I ordered my Tydan steel profiled (Goalie Sam) and sharpened and the sharpening was absolute garbage!  A Sparx machine would have left the steel smoother.

14 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I know that Step has a runner with polished steel to a mirror finish also. They actually put their DLC coating on top of that polished finish, but you can buy the polished blades without the DLC coating also.

2 hours ago, puckstopper said:

I had regular 3mm Step on my last pair of Bauer goalie skates with cowlings and loved it.  When I went to Supreme 1S (size 10) I hated the stock steel, but being in the US I couldn't get Step so I went with the Tydan DLC.   I've since moved on to a pair of True's (9.5, so different holder/steel size) and am using a Bauer holder and LS5G steel.  I sharpen my own skates and am very particular about my edges.  I would say that the Step seemed to hold an edge better than the Tydan.  The Tydan was definitely better than LS3G steel but I didn't like it as much as Step or LS5G.   Just personal preference and anecdotal evidence, but I felt like the Tydan needed to be sharpened more often than either of the other two.  One thing that was definitely factual was that I ordered my Tydan steel profiled (Goalie Sam) and sharpened and the sharpening was absolute garbage!  A Sparx machine would have left the steel smoother.

I went with the Tydan since I live in the U.S. I already ordered them from Tydan.com and am having them custom profiled and pre sharpened. I’m mot a goalie so they are regular player runners. Part of the reason I posted this thread is that I’ve seen people saying they prefer step to Tydan, but that they were mostly the same quality. I’ve also seem others saying that their Tydans were a little better and sharpened better than Steps. I’ve seen it deacribed both ways. I can’t even tell which ones are taller when I look at pictures side by side. They both seem to have the same coating. Someone has said that Tydans coating is a little better, but that is anecdotal as well. I was leaning towards Strp initially and I could have just gotten the older Bauer LS2 holders to hold the Steps, but thought that might get complicated down the line somehow. I even tried to find some leftover Steps that were sold in canada which fit the LSEdge holders, but since they settled out of court with Bauer to not produce those anymore even for sale in Canada there weren’t many left, and none at all that I could find in my size which is 263. So it was either get new holders and have the current ones on my skates taken off and installing new ones, or go with Tydan and keep my current holders as is. I was doing very well with the stock steel on my skates anyway so I’m sure it will be an improvement from that, and I was interested in having some taller blades. These Tydans or whichever runners I got if i didn’t get the Tydans are a birthday present. They haven’t been delivered yet since the order was just placed last night, but I was very curious about the performance of the differently shaped steel that step provides. I’ve only ever used stock steel before. 

In my experience in terms of edge retention (ymmv):

Blackedge > Step Blacksteel > Regular Step >/= Massive Black > regular Flare > regular Tydan >/= Bauer LS4

The last three regular steels are far below the coated steels and regular Step.

Edited by psulion22

5 hours ago, psulion22 said:

In my experience in terms of edge retention (ymmv):

Blackedge > Step Blacksteel > Regular Step >/= Massive Black > regular Flare > regular Tydan >/= Bauer LS4

The last three regular steels are far below the coated steels and regular Step.

Tydan also has a mirror surface and a much harder steel like Step does. They also have a model of runner that coats the mirror polished harder steel with a mirror smooth DLC coating that looks essentially identical to Step Steels blackedge runner.

I guess you don’t have those specifics to compare to, but I’m thinking they are about the same quality so far. I didn’t see the Tydan higher quality polished steel with the DLC coating on that list. Thanks for your feedback. So far my main interest at this point has been a comparison of Step Blacksteel to Tydan Blacksteel. Both of those are of a higher quality than standard steel and may in fact be the exact same steel, and both of those have a DLC coating.

Just now, Braden said:

Tydan also has a mirror surface and a much harder steel like Step does. They also have a model of runner that coats the mirror polished harder steel with a mirror smooth DLC coating that looks essentially identical to Step Steels blackedge runner.

I guess you don’t have those specifics to compare to, but I’m thinking they are about the same quality so far. I didn’t see the Tydan higher quality polished steel with the DLC coating on that list. Thanks for your feedback. So far my main interest at this point has been a comparison of Step Blacksteel to Tydan Blacksteel. Both of those are of a higher quality than standard steel and may in fact be the exact same steel, and both of those have a DLC coating.

No, unfortunately I haven't used their mirror coated steel.

From only what I've used, Blackedge was the best on the market.  But, without the coating, Step beat Tydan for me.

Does either of these companies offer an option for Tuuk Custom Plus holders anymore?  I'm looking to upgrade the steel on mine and I can't find any Step Steel in my size (263 - size 7 skate) and Tydan doesn't seem to make runners for these holders at all.

15 hours ago, AnimalFear said:

Does either of these companies offer an option for Tuuk Custom Plus holders anymore?  I'm looking to upgrade the steel on mine and I can't find any Step Steel in my size (263 - size 7 skate) and Tydan doesn't seem to make runners for these holders at all.

Give us a call, we might be able to help you out 1 866 688-7111

• Like 2

https://www.hockeymonkey.com/step-steel-hockey-runner-vstcustom-1-pair.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAsvTxBRDkARIsAH4W_j9n9jIs6yLCvU0E1V_gb0CZB5urjPQLadX68QadwPei4eo0cTPTzyYaApXDEALw_wcB

https://www.hockeymonkey.com/step-steel-hockey-runner-stcustom-1-pair.html

Step Blacksteel⬇️⬇️

https://www.hockeymonkey.com/step-steel-hockey-runner-blacksteel-bauer-tuuk.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAsvTxBRDkARIsAH4W_j9m5kD8fRL0NkJCsxX31GVX7P3gAilhVmQJbPqxWsPHthQu965UZJEaAlotEALw_wcB

For those that use aftermarket steels, do you want to comment on their durability? I've had 3 sets of step blacksteel crack on me after playing a puck off the steel, I can't say if it was the temperature (eg middle of winter) or the force of the puck (nothing comes to mind for this other than it was a solid pass) or I was just sol but it was disappointing. For those that have used Tydan, Massive etc had anything similar happen?

Edited by Vet88

3 hours ago, Vet88 said:

For those that use aftermarket steels, do you want to comment on their durability? I've had 3 sets of step blacksteel crack on me after playing a puck off the steel, I can't say if it was the temperature (eg middle of winter) or the force of the puck (nothing comes to mind for this other than it was a solid pass) or I was just sol but it was disappointing. For those that have used Tydan, Massive etc had anything similar happen?

Holder is misaligned.  Only reason that would happen.  

I had regular Step steel and now I have regular Tydan steel and I haven't noticed a difference in edge retention. I end up getting burrs (if that's the right term to use in this case) from contact with another players steel anyway during puck battles along the board and such, and those burrs would happen with any type of steel. So since I end up sharpening because of burrs even before losing the edge, I see no point in going with more expensive steel. And I don't care what color or how shiny my runners are, either.

Edited by Larry54

On 2/8/2020 at 10:07 AM, Larry54 said:

I had regular Step steel and now I have regular Tydan steel and I haven't noticed a difference in edge retention. I end up getting burrs (if that's the right term to use in this case) from contact with another players steel anyway during puck battles along the board and such, and those burrs would happen with any type of steel. So since I end up sharpening because of burrs even before losing the edge, I see no point in going with more expensive steel. And I don't care what color or how shiny my runners are, either.

The color and shine are simply results of the level if manufacturing quality. The polished metal reflective appearance denotes reudced friction. The black being of a reflective appearance is similar as it is applied to steel with a mirror finish. That carbon coating has been proven to be much more durable than other carbon coatings which have a matt finish.

I don’t think many people actually get these types of steel of finishes because of their appearance.

8 hours ago, Braden said:

The black being of a reflective appearance is similar as it is applied to steel with a mirror finish. That carbon coating has been proven to be much more durable than other carbon coatings which have a matt finish.

I don't think that is true.

7 hours ago, 218hockey said:

I don't think that is true.

I think he might be refering to painted steel. That stuff comes off easily and offers zero performance.

Not all black runners are equal.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, stick9 said:

I think he might be refering to painted steel. That stuff comes off easily and offers zero performance.

Not all black runners are equal.

I am told that CCM black steel is painted and comes off easily. 

Surely if a steel is harder, it is more liable to break? 

37 minutes ago, Leif said:

I am told that CCM black steel is painted and comes off easily. 

I think CCM has both, painted and treated steel.

Yeah, you get to a point where hardness is actually a disadvantage. 

7 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Not sure how people are thinking that black is harder? The steel is still the same hardness and set at optimal for edge retention and less breakage by not being to hard. 

Yeah, this confused me a well.

There is absolutely such a thing as too hard. I think most of us have seen some others manufactured steel that would easily snap under load 😉 

23 hours ago, Leif said:

Yes, in two ways.

Too hard would mean steel would chip as opposed to dent (edge-wise) and would snap under load (the steel must flex, while you're skating.)