Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Icetown Carlsbad - Avoid!

As some of you know, I stopped playing in my league after the first couple games because of how ridiculous the league had gotten. Between our team rarely being able to ice a full lineup (and even then, most of it was the guys we brought up from rookie division), and the fact that they dissolved the division above us and many of those guys joined teams on our division (except ours) and absolutely lit up the league (7 of the top 10 scoring was new this season) it had gotten just not worth the hour or so drive to get there. I told the captain I just needed some time away and he said no problem and to let him know when I want to come back.

The season is now finishing up and the captain asked if I wanted to come back. I told him I'd think about it. Then I talked to some of my teammates, and they all said the same thing. For example, keeping in mind that this is coming from one of the most happy-go-lucky people I've ever met:

I'm 50/50 myself. Not gonna lie, this season wasn't very fun and I'm getting really frustrated with how unbalanced the league is. I've pondered going to Escondido instead. But the guys would welcome you back man, you just have to decide if its what you want

So it clearly hasn't gotten better. I wrote what I thought was a well thought out message to the league director asking what his plans were since he knows it's a problem, and basically asking him for help in determining what I should do:

Fred,

Do you have any plans to re-balance D5? I stopped playing pretty early last season because it had just become silly. We bring up guys from rookie, while other teams add players who immediately become their best player. The division is broken. 

I’ve been talking to teammates trying to determine if I’m coming back or not and more than a couple of them have said it’s not fun anymore and they’re considering playing elsewhere. 

I need to decide what I’m going to do for the upcoming season, and that decision hinges on what is going to be done in our division to remove or move up the guys who shouldn’t be there. 

Thank you

I don't know, I don't think what I asked was all that unreasonable. But I guess he did. His reply:

Thanks for your opinion.

Whoa. Okay. That... not only is super douchebaggy but I guess it also clarifies what I'll be doing going forward. I mean, even if its a case where he does plan to do something about it and doesn't want to hear from the peanut gallery about it, he could have said "if you have complaints, have your captain present them" (even though I'm technically not even on a team at this point and therefore have no captain). 

So I made my reply simple:

I'll take that as a "I can't be bothered doing anything about it", then. Thanks for the information.

So I'm just using this thread to warn people who might be considering playing in Carlsbad CA that the league is poorly run. I could almost accept the terrible ice if the director gave a damn, but with that not being the case I guess I'll play elsewhere. And I recommend others do the same.

I hear ya. The more forums I read, the more I see this is a big problem everywhere. The probs all start at the top and the A-hole who's running it. And that trickles down to the refs who are supposed to be trained and abide by the USA Hockey Association....which IMO is another freaking joke.