Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

Coronavirus & hockey equipment

I heard Chinese manufacturing contracts tend to be handled annually, so you get slotted in and have your production done according to when it fits in at the plant. That sounds in line with Bauer’s comment that everything for this year’s retail stock is in North American storage.

3 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Thought this was an interesting article:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/bruins/2020/02/08/chinasticks/Nq3exRpRtqwLTA5wyawYEI/story.html
I was surprised to learn that CCM & Bauer made their pro stuff in China now?  
Also curious if the slowdown might extend any new equipment debuts / whatever.
Mark

They've moved manufacturing for sticks and gear over there years ago. 

2 hours ago, JimmyTheDriver said:

Are custom CCM skates also made in these same plants?

Custom CCM skates are made at the factory in Montreal, but perhaps the skate parts are made in those plants?

Edited by BesToss

3 hours ago, z1ggy said:

My company has plants in China. They are shut down still, nobody allowed in until further notice basically... 

Is that because of Coronavirus or Chinese New Year? Or both? When is Lantern Festival?

Howdy,

10 hours ago, caveman27 said:

They've moved manufacturing for sticks and gear over there years ago. 

I knew that for the retail stuff, but I missed that they were doing that for the pro ranks as well.

Mark

Those factories were already shut down for Chinese New Year.  The manufacturers know this in advance and ramp up production beforehand to account for it.

They haven't reopened yet, but I really believe this is a non-story for now.

5 hours ago, ParabolicActivity said:

So what does the M on CCM pro stick codes mean? I always thought it meant the stick was made in Montreal meantime reason.

Misread question

Edited by Monty22

Below is the message I got from Bauer about my custom stick order:

Dear Valued Customer

Thank you for purchasing a MYBAUER custom stick. We are unfortunately experiencing unforeseen delays.  The imposed government shutdown in China has affected much of the world, and consequently, parts of our Supply Chain. This situation is unfortunate and out of our control. We have been advised that the shutdown will be prolonged until at least February 17th.  This situation is fluid and we are doing everything possible to mitigate disruption to the supply of custom sticks.  

We appreciate that this is an important part of the season. Please know that the BAUER team is taking all the steps it can to minimize impact to players. We will continue to provide you with updates as new information becomes available. Our regular delivery expectation on custom sticks is 35 days from the date your order is placed however, at this point, the information available to us is that your expected delivery date will be delayed by an estimated 5 weeks. 

We apologize for this inconvenience and encourage you to reach out to our Customer Support group,  should you have any questions or concerns regarding your order. We can be reached at 1-833-897-9942 or by emailing dtc@bauer.com.

We appreciate your understanding and we will continue to update you with any changes concerning your delivery time frame.

Bauer Hockey

2 hours ago, Tondog said:

Below is the message I got from Bauer about my custom stick order:

Dear Valued Customer

Thank you for purchasing a MYBAUER custom stick. We are unfortunately experiencing unforeseen delays.  The imposed government shutdown in China has affected much of the world, and consequently, parts of our Supply Chain. This situation is unfortunate and out of our control. We have been advised that the shutdown will be prolonged until at least February 17th.  This situation is fluid and we are doing everything possible to mitigate disruption to the supply of custom sticks.  

We appreciate that this is an important part of the season. Please know that the BAUER team is taking all the steps it can to minimize impact to players. We will continue to provide you with updates as new information becomes available. Our regular delivery expectation on custom sticks is 35 days from the date your order is placed however, at this point, the information available to us is that your expected delivery date will be delayed by an estimated 5 weeks. 

We apologize for this inconvenience and encourage you to reach out to our Customer Support group,  should you have any questions or concerns regarding your order. We can be reached at 1-833-897-9942 or by emailing dtc@bauer.com.

We appreciate your understanding and we will continue to update you with any changes concerning your delivery time frame.

Bauer Hockey

That sucks. 

Even worse is that people are getting upset about it. 

I backed a project on Kickstarter last fall and when they sent out a notification about the shutdown until the 17th, the people in the comments went nuts. I mean, its bad enough that you don't understand how crowdfunding works (they think its a shopping site?) but you can't accept a delay due to an entire country basically shutting down for a coronavirus? Get real.

One of my company's factories in China is back up at 60% capacity. Word (or hope, rather) is back to 100% within the next few weeks.... we'll see. 

5 hours ago, z1ggy said:

One of my company's factories in China is back up at 60% capacity. Word (or hope, rather) is back to 100% within the next few weeks.... we'll see. 

The factories we work with are not up and running yet. Workers not coming back after Chinese New Year can already be a problem, rumors are that factories may be short staffed for a while.

4 hours ago, Davideo said:

The factories we work with are not up and running yet. Workers not coming back after Chinese New Year can already be a problem, rumors are that factories may be short staffed for a while.

Yeah this is just one of many that we have there... There's some at 0% still but they don't effect my line of business so I'm not realy concerned haha. 

Either way, it's not a great situation ands a lot of companies will be expecting delays in shipment because of this. First and foremost though is the health of the people.

Edited by z1ggy

They featured this topic tonight during the Hawks/Flames game on HNIC, showing Calgary’s stick rack, which was bare. They mentioned the Calgary Equipment Manager had given strict instructions not to give away sticks, or get emotional and break them. 

They mentioned they’d given all of their player curve profiles to Warrior as a back up. I imagine this would be true for other teams as well.