Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Lihp8270

Misaligned holder repair

Hi,

I noticed on my 7 week old Tacks 9070 skates that the holder is misaligned cause a deflection in the steel. The deflection is around 1.7mm

The shop has assured me this isn’t too unusual and is a straight forward fix, not needing any new holes drilling.

I am due to take them in on Friday for them to do the work, however my relationship with the store isn’t the best but they are unavoidable as they are so large in the UK. 

I assume the fix is to remove rivets and refit the holder?

I am always paranoid about keeping a good fit on my boot, does anything on the repair affect the heat moulding of my skate? It has been done twice so far to get the spot on fit, so I don’t want anything to change, or have to do the moulding a 3rd time. 

Assuming that it wouldn’t usually affect the moulding of the boot, is there anything they can mess up that will affect it which I can check?

Are they being honest about no drilling?

13 minutes ago, Lihp8270 said:

Hi,

I noticed on my 7 week old Tacks 9070 skates that the holder is misaligned cause a deflection in the steel. The deflection is around 1.7mm

The shop has assured me this isn’t too unusual and is a straight forward fix, not needing any new holes drilling.

I am due to take them in on Friday for them to do the work, however my relationship with the store isn’t the best but they are unavoidable as they are so large in the UK. 

I assume the fix is to remove rivets and refit the holder?

I am always paranoid about keeping a good fit on my boot, does anything on the repair affect the heat moulding of my skate? It has been done twice so far to get the spot on fit, so I don’t want anything to change, or have to do the moulding a 3rd time. 

Assuming that it wouldn’t usually affect the moulding of the boot, is there anything they can mess up that will affect it which I can check?

Are they being honest about no drilling?

Have a pic to share? 

4 hours ago, Lihp8270 said:

The attached private Imgur gallery are what was sent to the retailer to show that the steel is straight out of the holder and that the holder deflects at the toe end. 

https://imgur.com/a/fbZWcsa

I think those can be aligned without having to drill new rivet holes if they know what they are doing. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 9:34 PM, SkateWorksPNW said:

I think those can be aligned without having to drill new rivet holes if they know what they are doing. 

No luck!

They managed to align them without having to drill holes. 

But after 1 hour on the ice, they have shifted back again to being way out of alignment. 

😞

2 hours ago, Lihp8270 said:

No luck!

But after 1 hour on the ice, they have shifted back again to being way out of alignment. 

😞

If you take the steel out of the holder, does the holder look aligned? Is the steel itself bent? 

I wondered the same as SkateworksPNW but it looks like your pics show it's mostly or all in the holder. Not sure that could be fixed without at least opening up some of the holes a little bit to allow the holder to sit straight. I wonder if the holder is straight when it's off the skate, or just a not great rivet/drill job. Anyhow hope you get it sorted. Pretty weird it popped back..What did he say he did?

3 hours ago, Lihp8270 said:

No luck!

😞

Than it wasn't done properly.  Mine never shift back after completing them.

4 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

If you take the steel out of the holder, does the holder look aligned? Is the steel itself bent? 

The steel is straight, it’s all in the holder 

3 hours ago, Above40 said:

I wondered the same as SkateworksPNW but it looks like your pics show it's mostly or all in the holder. Not sure that could be fixed without at least opening up some of the holes a little bit to allow the holder to sit straight. I wonder if the holder is straight when it's off the skate, or just a not great rivet/drill job. Anyhow hope you get it sorted. Pretty weird it popped back..What did he say he did?

Not all the rivets were replaced, but of note is that he added copper rivets to the back corners of the front set of rivets. 

2 hours ago, Above40 said:

Oh wow, super upgrade. New skates tough to get just right but I'm thinking totally worth starting over imo.

Any idea if the internal footbed size is the same as the 9070?

Will I get away with remoulding my Speedplates that were cut to match the 9070 insole? Or should i get a new pair and have them cut to match the AS1 insole?

Size/trim wise you should be good.. Contour of the arch of boot may be slightly different as the top tier skate of ccm skates seems to be unique to some degree as far as fit/spec but not so much that it should give you any trouble. There's a little flex in the speedplate so I wouldn't give it too much thought. Shove 'em in and go before you go buying something extra for nothin. I think a re-warm on the speedplate the most you'll have to do. What's the procedure on speedplate bake.. Maybe that is done same time as you get baked into the new skates?

So all collected and baked. 

i thought I knew what a tight heel fit was. Until these. 

Was a 2.5 hour drive home after moulding them.

They looked very snug when I took them out of the box at home so thought I’d best try them out before leaving them over night.  It’s the first time I’ve heard a suction noise as my heel goes into a skate!

• Like 1