Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Nastys

Bauer 2s pro skates with issues..

Hi guys.. 

After a long time with my Bauer one 90. I went to the shop find new skates today.. First problem.. No size on my one90, they are sample ( without Nike logo) So.. The shop scan my foot and tell me the better fit is a Vapor in 7.5D, I was very surprised because my lenght in cm is 265/266 mm so I tried them. Not huge fan of the Vapor line ( maybe the not classic look) fitted very well in length, toe brush very Very slightly the cap but very tight in witdh.. Few minutes after, pain come. Had the same with my one90 but lace trick with loose at the first eyelets and was OK. I ask to try the 2s pro in 7.5D ( for more space..) but  my toe brush the  cap too much ( I don't really understand why) so I tried the 8D and was good. The shops was very patient.. I tried them and can't find the good choice, too big is not good.. Too tight is not too. Seller told me it's OK if the toe brush the cap when you re stand up, bend you knee and will be OK.. Exactly, the 7.5D do that and the seller sayed the 8 is too long for the 'heel lock' . He sharpened them, baked.. I was happy ( but skates was hot.. And moldable) 

But when I came at home , I fit them while a TV watching, first 5 minutes was OK, 10 came to be strange and after 15 minutes, my feet maybe swollen and have no blood on my feet, tingling sensation,  heat sensation under the feet and at the heel. I take off the skates and the ankle bones and heel was pretty red. I tried to loose the lace but hahaha my toe hurt too much the cap, Shop open in 3 days and I don't what can I do. 

Advice, tips, anything will welcome! Thanks! 

The length will improve, it's all the padding in the heel area and once it compresses a little and your heel settles into the pocket your toes will move back from the toe box. It sounds as if 7.5 is the right length. As to the rest of your foot, try this, put the skates on, don't tie them up. Do they hurt 15 minutes later? If not then it's a width issue, they are still to narrow for you when tied up. Not all is lost, you can do a couple of things. Wait till the shop opens then ask them to stretch the boot for width. Or bake them again, either at home or at the shop but this time pad the sides of your foot with something like 3mm neoprene rubber strips or gel pad strips. this will force the boot a little wider at bake time, then you remove the strips and the fit will be looser in those areas.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for your reply. I did to no lace them but I can't stand up more than 5 Minutes, it's the reason of my doubt. The shop is at 6 hours of road ( picked up on a travel) I tried the 2s ( no pro) in 7.5 EE and same problem for the length. I just check my insole of the one90 and seem to be a 8D, 3 or 4 mm longer. Hope is not the tongue flex what do a more pressure. I checked the heel pad on the skates but the bigger are higher than the heel feet. The more strange is the lenght of the vapor was good, more room on the length but very narrow. Arch pain in few minutes 

Try this, remove your laces from the skate. Now put the skate on, the length might feel to short (toes brushing toe cap firmly) because there are no laces to pull your heel back into the heel pocket. You are not checking for length with this, you are seeing if you can wear them comfortably for width. If your feet still hurt after 5 - 10 minutes of wearing the skate with the laces out then they are definitely too narrow for you. A stretch might be able to fix it, it depends on where the narrowness is - if it is tight all over then you are better off going up 1/2 a size to see if that fixes it or try a Nexus in that size.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for advice, I will retry this, have not notice wrong before with width without lace. It's OK for you if toe touche firmly the toe cap when you stand stand up with tight lace? 

If you are laced up and the toes are touching firmly in a new boot then it depends. How firmly? Do you like your toes touching or very close to the toe cap? If the answer is firm and no then I don't think the length is right. When the heel and ankle lining compresses with use you will get another 1mm - 2mm in length. That may just take your toes off the toe cap, it might not. What you think is firm and what I think is firm could be 2 very different things.

• Like 1

http://IMG_20200216_120730.jpg

http://IMG_20200216_121756.jpg

Heres a exemple for the same brush sensation, just flush without pain or bad sensation. 

No space on the 2s pro (7.5D), 1 or 2 MM on the one90 (8D and break in) 

Here picture of the one90 to have the same firm sensation than the 2s. 

http://IMG_20200216_115959.jpg

http://IMG_20200216_115728.jpg

Thanks for your tips Vet88, I tried not without lace but very, very loose lace, tight overall, the more tight is on the back of the heel  and top of the feet ( start of the tongue). For your question, I don't like when it's too big, just my toe flush without pain, cramp. Heel lock come directly Without lace in the 2s and on the One90 when I bend my knee ( no lace). Sorry for inconvenience, it's just a brainteaser 

Edited by Nastys

The new features of the 2S Pro are meant to provide a completely locked in fit with virtually no negative space.  After a proper heat molding, the tongue should be holding the foot in the skate without tying the skates very tight at all.  I had the same problem you are describing when I first got my 2S Pros, going from a MX3 (and NXG, One100, One95, and One 90 before that).  Pulling the laces tight enough to make the skates feel tight caused numbness and pain.  So I baked them again.  This time I focused on getting better wrap from the sides and especially tongue by using my hands to help form it, better heel lock by tapping my heel backwards more firmly (I borrowed a piece of the floor mats from my rink for this), and taped pieces of foam to my foot in two areas that were causing hot spots.  All the issues went away.  I now have a skate that completely wraps and supports my foot while not having to tighten them very much at all and has no pressure spots inside.  I think the issue is twofold.  First, there is a ton of thick, heat moldable ankle padding.  If you don't get that molded right, it's constantly pushing your feet forwards which causes all sorts of issues from the foot being improperly aligned in the boot.  Second, the tongue is also very thick and heat moldable.  If you don't get it properly insdie the skate and curved, it puts too much pressure on the top of your foot because you lose too much volume and it keeps you from getting the sides of the skate to wrap and fit properly.  When all that happens, you end up having to tie the laces too tight and use the tongue to apply pressure to keep your foot in place, rather than using the wrap and mold of the boot to do that.  You need to get your heel locked in and that tongue really pushed into the skate to get the best fit.

Edited by psulion22

3 hours ago, psulion22 said:

The new features of the 2S Pro are meant to provide a completely locked in fit with virtually no negative space.  After a proper heat molding, the tongue should be holding the foot in the skate without tying the skates very tight at all.  I had the same problem you are describing when I first got my 2S Pros, going from a MX3 (and NXG, One100, One95, and One 90 before that).  Pulling the laces tight enough to make the skates feel tight caused numbness and pain.  So I baked them again.  This time I focused on getting better wrap from the sides and especially tongue by using my hands to help form it, better heel lock by tapping my heel backwards more firmly (I borrowed a piece of the floor mats from my rink for this), and taped pieces of foam to my foot in two areas that were causing hot spots.  All the issues went away.  I now have a skate that completely wraps and supports my foot while not having to tighten them very much at all and has no pressure spots inside.  I think the issue is twofold.  First, there is a ton of thick, heat moldable ankle padding.  If you don't get that molded right, it's constantly pushing your feet forwards which causes all sorts of issues from the foot being improperly aligned in the boot.  Second, the tongue is also very thick and heat moldable.  If you don't get it properly insdie the skate and curved, it puts too much pressure on the top of your foot because you lose too much volume and it keeps you from getting the sides of the skate to wrap and fit properly.  When all that happens, you end up having to tie the laces too tight and use the tongue to apply pressure to keep your foot in place, rather than using the wrap and mold of the boot to do that.  You need to get your heel locked in and that tongue really pushed into the skate to get the best fit.

Interesting about the second bake.  I did a single two minute bake, and they feel pretty damn good.  I guess maybe I try a second?  No hot spots, but maybe the tongue could wrap better.

To the OP - its tough to tell without you actually lacing them to push your foot back into the boot, and skating.  Plenty of times I haven't comfortably stood in a new skate, but after a few I've settled into the boot and its been perfect.

12 minutes ago, JimmyTheDriver said:

Interesting about the second bake.  I did a single two minute bake, and they feel pretty damn good.  I guess maybe I try a second?  No hot spots, but maybe the tongue could wrap better.

To the OP - its tough to tell without you actually lacing them to push your foot back into the boot, and skating.  Plenty of times I haven't comfortably stood in a new skate, but after a few I've settled into the boot and its been perfect.

Yep.  After the first - 5 minutes at 175*F, they definitely molded to my feet but it wasn't quite right.  I had a few pressure points inside, and was getting horrible lace bite because i was really having to crank them down.  After the second same 5 minutes at 175*F, it was night and day.  The tongue really molded in and form fit to my foot, and because of that I was able to get incredible wrap on the boot.  I used my hands to really shape the skate and get rid of as much negative space as possible.  I also put some foam on so that it would slightly punch out the hot spots.  Now tha skates are incredible.  I don't really have to tie them except to keep my foot from popping out.  Nothing tight at all, so there's no lace bite.  The tongue being so form fitted keeps it from sliding around and really responds to my stride.  I actually have to physically push it in and set it in place before lacing too.  I think another big thing was I replaced the laces for the second bake with wider cotton ones.  They stay in place without slipping or loosening as you tie, and the extra width gives more pressure to help with the molding.  Without going to something made directly from a scan of my foot, I don't see how anything could fit better.

Edited by psulion22

3 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

Yep.  After the first - 5 minutes at 175*F, they definitely molded to my feet but it wasn't quite right.  I had a few pressure points inside, and was getting horrible lace bite because i was really having to crank them down.  After the second same 5 minutes at 175*F, it was night and day.  The tongue really molded in and form fit to my foot, and because of that I was able to get incredible wrap on the boot.  I used my hands to really shape the skate and get rid of as much negative space as possible.  I also put some foam on so that it would slightly punch out the hot spots.  Now tha skates are incredible.  I don't really have to tie them except to keep my foot from popping out.  Nothing tight at all, so there's no lace bite.  The tongue being so form fitted keeps it from sliding around and really responds to my stride.  I actually have to physically push it in and set it in place before lacing too.  Without going to something made directly from a scan of my foot, I don't see how anything could fit better.

Might sound stupid but after the skate buying episode I have been on... I'm worried to ruin anything with another bake.  First was at a Pure Hockey done by a forum member here, and was obviously much more conservative than your 5 minutes.  He did mention potentially going into a shop locally to get a second bake after a few skates.  You do yours at home in a normal oven? 

My first ride out, I cranked down through the midfoot pretty tight and it was rough.  Last night I went looser and the pain was gone.  Maybe I could go just as loose with even better fit after a second.

Sorry to steal your post OP - hopefully you get something useful from the banter.

Yep, did mine at home in my convection oven on the convection bake setting so the elements inside the oven don't turn on (on conv. bake, my oven heats with a round element behind the wall around the fan).  I've always needed two bakes to get my skates just right.  But never had the difference been so stark from the first to the second, or did I get such a custom feeling fit.

I actually couldn't tie the skates any tighter now.  The boot is so well shaped that it can't flex inward any more when you crank on the laces, except the top two eyelets.  I don't use the top one and pull the second just a little tighter.  I just pull so there's tension until that second from the top.

1 hour ago, Nastys said:

Medium arch

Bauer Supreme or Nexus model might fit better. Supreme and Nexus have more volume for feet with similar length and forefoot width. Or it could be just getting an insole for a higher arch might help with your current skates.

This is also a different angle, but trying a CCM model with 7.0EE  or 7.5.EE might fit better than Bauer 7.5D. Not guaranteeing it though.