Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
mamalulu

not baking True skates?

Hello,

This is also posted on another forum but im curious to hear your opinion :

I just bought brand new True skates (size 10.5 Johansen, not custom fit), this year's model with the trigger holder. The felt really good in store, even untied they felt really good and snug so I opted not to have them baked. Tried them the same day and they felt really good, contact with the ice felt very solid thanks to the true holder and the bite on the ice was unbelievable thanks to step steel, even on 1' sharpening. Coming from VH skates with Tuuk edge + LS3, the pitch took me a while to adapt.. I hard a hard time to start strides on my heels at first.

Anyway do you think it would be ill-advised not to bake true skates for some particular reason?

Thank you.

3 hours ago, mamalulu said:

Hello,

I just bought brand new True skates (size 10.5 Johansen, not custom fit), this year's model with the trigger holder. The felt really good in store, even untied they felt really good and snug so I opted not to have them baked. Tried them the same day and they felt really good, contact with the ice felt very solid thanks to the true holder and the bite on the ice was unbelievable thanks to step steel, even on 1' sharpening. Coming from VH skates with Tuuk edge + LS3, the pitch took me a while to adapt.. I hard a hard time to start strides on my heels at first.

Anyway do you think it would be ill-advised not to bake true skates for some particular reason?

Thank you.

Well, you aren't going to ruin them. The foam will eventually conform to your foot in a custom manner if you don't bake them, much like what took weeks in the past for someone to break into leather ice skates.

Baking them will accelerate getting the broken-in-feel.

13 minutes ago, caveman27 said:

Well, you aren't going to ruin them. The foam will eventually conform to your foot in a custom manner if you don't bake them, much like what took weeks in the past for someone to break into leather ice skates.

Baking them will accelerate getting the broken-in-feel.

Yes foams will eventually form to your foots shape and yes that will help accelerate the break-in process. However, no amount of skating or use will mold the outer composite boot. Baking is the only way to achieve that. It's also the only way to maximize the overall fit, which will enhance the skates performance.

To the OP's question. No, there is no reason not to bake them.

Edited by stick9
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Feels like you would be wasting the moldability and fit of the Trues by not baking them. They’ll fit better and feel better if you bake them. 

When baking skates was first a thing, it helped break-in the skate, where traditionally you had to wear skates for hours and hours to make the more comfortable and form to your feet. You would have people arguing that if you don’t bake them, you’ll extend the life of the skate. But, with modern materials, that’s no longer the true at all. Especially on other forums *cough reddit cough*, you’ll see bad, outdated advice that baking skates will decrease their lifespan, or if you just toughen up and skate hard in them, you’ll break them in in some more desirable fashion. 

You have nothing but to gain by baking them! 

• Like 1

Baking true skates, and even other top end skates isn't just to accelerate the break in period, but to increase wrap and decrease negative space. I'd argue baking skates these days has hardly or very little to do with "breaking" them in. 

They probably feel good to you now because you're comparing them to retail skates you've had in the past. You should 100% bake them. But if you do, do it properly with shrink wrap and heat them for the full recommended length of time. 

• Like 2

Bake them. After baking and wrapping my skates feel like money. They also  "open up" a little bit when you break them in so you might find that glove like fit to go away just a touch after maybe 10-20 hours in boot. Bake will fix this. 

Edited by z1ggy
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 7:41 AM, mamalulu said:

Hello,

Thank you.

This makes no sense. Bake them. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW
  • Like 2

On 2/17/2020 at 5:18 PM, Sniper9 said:

Baking true skates, and even other top end skates isn't just to accelerate the break in period, but to increase wrap and decrease negative space. I'd argue baking skates these days has hardly or very little to do with "breaking" them in. 

They probably feel good to you now because you're comparing them to retail skates you've had in the past. You should 100% bake them. But if you do, do it properly with shrink wrap and heat them for the full recommended length of time. 

This... bake them and wrap them. You don't even have to do it with shrink wrap, you can do it with an ace bandage and tape. I just got mine and had them baked and once they're on my feet it's like nothing else I've experienced. I used custom insoles in my older skates and with True's I don't have to use anything other than their standard insoles. My feet feel like they're in a slipper. I had to take mine back to the shop to have them spot heat one spot on my skate to open it up just a bit because it was pinching my foot when I was trying to get them on. Now that we did that, I don't have any issues getting them on/off and we didn't have to re-bake them to fix it. Best fitting skates I've ever worn.

• Like 1

thanks for the replies. I ended up getting them baked, no difference in comfort but the responsiveness is much better. Felt like I had an extra spring in the legs. They're still quite easy to put on, not too hard to remove either so I'm probably rebaking them with shrink wrap

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mamalulu said:

thanks for the replies. I ended up getting them baked, no difference in comfort but the responsiveness is much better. Felt like I had an extra spring in the legs. They're still quite easy to put on, not too hard to remove either so I'm probably rebaking them with shrink wrap

I have skinny ankles. And I did the whole shrink wrap with tensor on the forefoot and I still don't have problems getting the skates on and off with the top eyelet undone and laces loosened a lot. Just the way my feet are shaped I'm lucky in that sense. 

If they fit good and are comfy no point rebaking again just bc they're not hard to put on and take off 

Edited by Sniper9