Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
picklestabber

Stick advice

My son used Easton Synergy htx sticks for years 65 flex p28 the last one broke in November so he tried the CCM supertacks 9280 75 flex p28.  (same length)

2 sticks purchased around Thanksgiving broke this week both right at the heel.  Is this a common flaw for these sticks? Could it be contributed to the change in flex making the stick less plyable or the change in kick point, supertacks middle kickpoint, HTX mid taper kick point?

While he liked the CCM he is looking to try something new/ more like the htx.

He likes the p28 because it is good for toe drags, but he ends up shooting on the backhand a lot any suggestions for a curve?

I of course and concerned with durability.

thanks

15 hours ago, picklestabber said:

My son used Easton Synergy htx sticks for years 65 flex p28 the last one broke in November so he tried the CCM supertacks 9280 75 flex p28.  (same length)

2 sticks purchased around Thanksgiving broke this week both right at the heel.  Is this a common flaw for these sticks? Could it be contributed to the change in flex making the stick less plyable or the change in kick point, supertacks middle kickpoint, HTX mid taper kick point?

While he liked the CCM he is looking to try something new/ more like the htx.

He likes the p28 because it is good for toe drags, but he ends up shooting on the backhand a lot any suggestions for a curve?

thanks

I switched to the allblackhockeysticks a while ago and never looked back https://allblackhockeysticks.com/

LIke $100 shipped to the door but they have so many patterns/flex options and you can get tacky or smooth grip.

I think they are much better than the comparable priced sticks anywhere else (far better than the entry-level sticks you'd by at the local store). The main reason I like them though is they last far longer than the other sticks I've used and still remain light. Obviously after a while you're going to take toe damage and the blade will start to go, and I do think the sticks lose "whip" after a while - but (knock on wood) I haven't actually BROKEN an ABHS yet even though I play center (sr league but the sticks still take a beating)

14 hours ago, wedgylx said:

I switched to the allblackhockeysticks a while ago and never looked back https://allblackhockeysticks.com/

LIke $100 shipped to the door but they have so many patterns/flex options and you can get tacky or smooth grip.

I think they are much better than the comparable priced sticks anywhere else (far better than the entry-level sticks you'd by at the local store). The main reason I like them though is they last far longer than the other sticks I've used and still remain light. Obviously after a while you're going to take toe damage and the blade will start to go, and I do think the sticks lose "whip" after a while - but (knock on wood) I haven't actually BROKEN an ABHS yet even though I play center (sr league but the sticks still take a beating)

I'd rather get something from https://customhockeysticks.ca/ for a better price. And better options for reinforced areas and even a lightweight option at sub 400 grams. Their regular weight is less than abhs too. 

10 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Never heard of https://customhockeysticks.ca before. You ever used one of their sticks? 

No. Only because I can get true sticks from 112-190 right now and sticks like the trigger 4 for 200 tax in cdn. So not really worth my time to wait months at a time for that company with no real reviews.  But if I have to choose a no name stick company, I'd try CHS first bc of the price and specs. 

Edited by Sniper9

3 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

No. Only because I can get true sticks from 112-190 right now and sticks like the trigger 4 for 200 tax in cdn. So not really worth my time to wait months at a time for that company with no real reviews.  But if I have to choose a no name stick company, I'd try CHS first bc of the price and specs. 

I have no clue who these guys are, but I have to say they nailed the concept. I guess the long lead times are to be expected, but it sure would be nice if they had a little bit of stock on top one or two combos they sell so you could quickly evaluate (at $99 I'd take a chance) if it's worth ordering some custom sticks through them.

If anyone has had a hands on with their sticks please report back!

colins

Good price and the nice thing is the three flex profiles and flexes in increments of 5.  I would imagine the construction is still the same as other off brand sticks though, correct?  Low cost Chinese-made?

4 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

Good price and the nice thing is the three flex profiles and flexes in increments of 5.  I would imagine the construction is still the same as other off brand sticks though, correct?  Low cost Chinese-made?

Probably all made in the same or similar factories. It does say on the site they recommend you order multiple sticks at a time bc of the turn around time. It's all made to order so there's less overhead for stock. Concept is good. I'd be willing to give it a shot. Quebec based company too. Reviews my start coming in later in the year since there would have been more sticks in players hands by then.  

On 2/21/2020 at 11:58 AM, wedgylx said:

+1 for ABHS. been using them for around a year and they last a long time. plus i can actually get matte finish which is impossible to find these days

On 2/25/2020 at 7:33 PM, asgoodasdead said:

+1 for ABHS. been using them for around a year and they last a long time. plus i can actually get matte finish which is impossible to find these days

can't agree enough. I hate the tacky sticks, especially since I take faceoffs. I feel like I can reposition my hands so much quicker with matte

• Like 2

On 2/20/2020 at 6:57 PM, picklestabber said:

2 sticks purchased around Thanksgiving broke this week both right at the heel. 

thanks

The CHS website states no warranty at all on their sticks.

20 hours ago, 218hockey said:

The CHS website states no warranty at all on their sticks.

I had a chat with them and if they break within a week they will look at replacing it but after that there's nothing they will do. They made a point that the vast majority of sticks don't just break from being defective, esp after being used for a few games, and usually if it does it's from actual game play that's isn't covered by warranty. The thing with big name brands is that they aren't that Nit picky when it comes to looking at how you actually broke the stick. And of course their price reflects the possibility of replacing the stick. The price of CHS is pretty much like paying for pro stock sticks. 

I am a Bauer guy, for the most part, I love my 2n pro and has held up to a lot of violent stick checks

what level is the young man playing? If he’s playing travel, it’s just gonna happen with sticks. Skating that much, and getting chippy kills sticks, I went threw sticks like crazy in bantam and midget. 

I can attest to the abhs being good. A ton of guys in my area use them. (Michigan company lol). 

you can also check for some pro stocks. I usually only buy pro stocks now, if you cut a 2s retail and a 2s pro stock in half the pro stock will have thicker sidewalls to the shaft, weigh more in most cases and be a lot more durable. The sticks are usually reinforced through the entire stick. 

Also, how much are you cutting the sticks? If he’s on the lighter side, he might be flexing the blade more than the shaft. Once you cut a  stick the flex goes up. I weight 210 at 5 8 use a 77 cut down. Probably ends up being roughly a 90 flex. 

if he’s flexing the blade a lot shooting of the toe that explains the heel blowing out. 

I know generally speaking the low kick sticks tend to have a more “rigid” blade 

Edited by Bender94

8 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I am really bummed they stopped offer custom lie for orders. 

Did u ask why? They're pretty quick at responding on IG. 

On 2/29/2020 at 6:15 PM, Bender94 said:

you can also check for some pro stocks. I usually only buy pro stocks now, if you cut a 2s retail and a 2s pro stock in half the pro stock will have thicker sidewalls to the shaft, weigh more in most cases and be a lot more durable. The sticks are usually reinforced through the entire stick. 

This is only true if you’re comparing a retail 2S Pro or pro stock 2SPRO build to a 2SPROSE.

The SEs have thicker sidewalls and are heavier, the regular builds are the same. 

Edited by Cavs019

11 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I am really bummed they stopped offer custom lie for orders. 

Yeah that kills the interest for me.

colins