Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Tirkhe

Skate profile help?

Hi!

I need help/suggestions on what profile should i go for. Im fairly skinny guy about 75kg and have been skating on 11' 92/50 fbv profile but thinking that i need more agile blade. I have also tried 90/50 but fell way too much because i dont have that good balance. Can anyone suggest grippy but agile blade for me, thanks!

What do you want? More agility or more stability? 

I'm 95kg, and I'm on 92/75 on a 11"profile. I tried:

100/50: good glide and agility but not enough stability

95/75: good stability, medium glide and agility; best choice but I get knee pain. 

92/75: best compromise without knee pain. 

Last season I tried a 92/50 on a 13"profile, it had very good glide and stability but almost no agility compared to the 11" profile. 

My suggestion for you is to try a 92/75 and see how it feels.

The 11"profile is the best compromise between agility and glide/stability for me. 

If you still want more agility you have to go down on a 10"profile and get a sharper FBV/Roh. 

Edited by hockeydad3

It has a sharper and deeper edge. Give it a try and than you know if it is better or not.

Going to 95/50 is not a big jump, compared to the 1/2" standard ROH it is still very shallow. And you have to be a decent skater for a shallow hollow. Also don't forget you have a normal bodyweight. 

On 2/22/2020 at 12:33 PM, Tirkhe said:

Hi!

I need help/suggestions on what profile should i go for. Im fairly skinny guy about 75kg and have been skating on 11' 92/50 fbv profile but thinking that i need more agile blade. I have also tried 90/50 but fell way too much because i dont have that good balance. Can anyone suggest grippy but agile blade for me, thanks!

If your skates are falling out from under you while taking hard turns, then you want to go sharper than 90/50.

flatbottomv.jpg?w=339

How long have you been skating/playing hockey? What's your position (or position you play more often)? What's your skate size? 

If you're going to profile them, I would look at doing a combo 9/10 profile. You'll get good agility, but also keep your glide. As for FBV, if you're on a 92/50 right now I would suggest going to a 90/75. You'll retain the glide you have, but you'll get more stability in your turns/pushes. The combo of the 90/75 and a 9/10 profile should yield some great results.

• Like 2

If you have acces to get a multi radius profile the 0.5 sounds very interesting. Here around my location its like a miracle that i can get  different FBV`s and single radius profiles. Until three years ago you could only get a house-cut and freehand profiles.

@Tirkhe I think that the advantage of the FBV is that you can go as sharp as possible without sacrifying glide. To find your sweet spot you have to try different FBV`s until it`s too much edge for you, than go down one step. With ROH it`s more the opposite direction. And it depends on the hardness of the ice and your preference.

25 minutes ago, hockeydad3 said:

If you have acces to get a multi radius profile the 0.5 sounds very interesting. Here around my location its like a miracle that i can get  different FBV`s and single radius profiles. Until three years ago you could only get a house-cut and freehand profiles.

@Tirkhe I think that the advantage of the FBV is that you can go as sharp as possible without sacrifying glide. To find your sweet spot you have to try different FBV`s until it`s too much edge for you, than go down one step. With ROH it`s more the opposite direction. And it depends on the hardness of the ice and your preference.

Thats the thing, no one does other than songle radius in my city...

4 hours ago, Tirkhe said:

Thats the thing, no one does other than songle radius in my city...

Yeah, most sharpeners just sharpen and can't even re-profile much less do a single radius profile.

The pro shop at modsquadhockey.com can do it. Take the blades off your skates and mail them in, they'll mail them back profiled. I've done it with a different business. The main thing slowing things down is shipping the blades to them, and the blades getting shipped back. So, you kind of need to time it so you'll get your blades back before your next game, unless you have an extra set of blades. Also, some multi-profile combinations may not work well with your skating style, so it's good to have a discussion on which one would work best for you so you don't have to get a different profile, and in some cases, just going back to single radius profile. Looking at people's prosharp project opinions, it's not uncommon to see one profile that works great for one skater is unacceptable to another skater.