Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Beflar

Does anyone make a skate tongue that actually fits a human shin?

I have lace bite in one foot.  I do the Forsberg thing where I velcro two gel columns to the inside of the skate tongue to give room for that tendon in the front of the shin that sticks out when you bend your knees or lift your toes.  Then I'm like 'how has no one built something like this into all skate tongues already'?   I'm thinking all skate tongues on the inside should be shaped like this  ^  more not like this ( .    Like, you keep the outside of the skate tongue like this  " (   " but the inside should be more like this ^ .

Basicly what I'm saying is the front of my shin is not round.

I'm using a Bauer One 100 at the moment.  So maybe the new tongues do this?  Or if someone knows of a product.

Edited by Beflar

4 hours ago, Beflar said:

I have lace bite in one foot.  I do the Forsberg thing where I velcro two gel columns to the inside of the skate tongue to give room for that tendon in the front of the shin that sticks out when you bend your knees or lift your toes.  Then I'm like 'how has no one built something this into all skate tongues already'?   I'm thinking all skate tongues on the inside should be shaped like this  ^  more not like this ( .    Like, you keep the outside of the skate tongue like this  " (   " but the inside should be more like this ^ .

Basicly what I'm saying is the front of my shin is not round.

I'm using a Bauer One 100 at the moment.  So maybe the new tongues do this?  Or if someone knows of a product.

Problem is not the shape of the tongue, it's that your instep is too high for the depth of the boot. If it wasn't, the tongue would sit comfortably on the tendon with the padding doing it's job, and your laces wouldn't press directly down on the tendon when you are flexing your foot while skating.

Do you pass the pencil test on one skate and not the other? 

colins

• Like 1

Either your skates don't properly fit or your tongue is worn out. Or you have a pre existing lace bite injury that never fully healed.  If the latter is the case you need to be more agressive in the rehabilitation of it rather than rest and hope it gets better. 

• Like 1

Actually sounds like the boot isn't deep enough, probably fails the pencil test.

I get what he means. Look at the top of your foot in the boot with the tongue pulled out. It's not a nice rounded surface. It's an asymmetrical inverted V.

Bauer went there a little with the offset quarters.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Davideo said:

Skate tongues are typically pretty pliable and form to the shape of your shin. I wouldn't think a V versus a U would make much of a difference.

I believe he means a padded V shape on the inside of the tongue and a more rigid C shape on the outside sort of like this cross-section of a tongue expertly drawn in MS paint.😄

Tongue.jpg

Edited by Larry54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Way back in the day I had a pair of skates, I think racks but maybe Bauer supremes, and they had a real thick felt tongue with exactly what You’re  describing - long channel down the center 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wedgylx said:

Way back in the day I had a pair of skates, I think racks but maybe Bauer supremes, and they had a real thick felt tongue with exactly what You’re  describing - long channel down the center 

...did it work?

1 hour ago, BruinDust said:

I recently had a set of Nash tongues installed on my Bauer Nexus 7000s and I really like them. I like them a lot more than the stock tongues that came out of my Nexus. 

Are they thick, thin?  Can you post pics?

2 hours ago, BruinDust said:

I recently had a set of Nash tongues installed on my Bauer Nexus 7000s and I really like them. I like them a lot more than the stock tongues that came out of my Nexus. 

guy at my local shop said he uses them exclusively. I see you're a Bruins fan, did you get them done at Cookes in Wilmington MA?

I once did this to my Bauer Flexlite skates to alleviate lace bite. I stuck self-adhesive closed-cell foam weather-stripping strips so they would fall on either side of the tendon. You can find different widths and thicknesses of it at hardware stores. Just make sure you choose the closed-cell foam because the open-cell stuff is not firm enough.

bite.jpg

Edited by Larry54
  • Like 2

On 2/28/2020 at 3:17 PM, wedgylx said:

guy at my local shop said he uses them exclusively. I see you're a Bruins fan, did you get them done at Cookes in Wilmington MA?

No I'm up here in Canada.