Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ParabolicActivity

Graf Skates Question

I am looking for skates for my son and just browsing the internet and I realized the only twopeople I have ever seen use Graf skates are ankle skaters. Is there something about these skates that makes them stand out to that kind of skater? Should I consider them for my son? He's an above average height and strength 11yo with 100% average skating. Not bad but not turning heads.

Graf does allow more ankle articulation than other skates. Cut a bit lower and more flexible than hard boots. Thing about graf is if he gets used to that feel, it will be hard to go to other brands. Just my opinion. Hope it helps you. 

24 minutes ago, skiboyny said:

Graf does allow more ankle articulation than other skates. Cut a bit lower and more flexible than hard boots. Thing about graf is if he gets used to that feel, it will be hard to go to other brands. Just my opinion. Hope it helps you. 

What is the "feel" of Graf?

1 hour ago, ParabolicActivity said:

A low cut boot the allows more ankle flexibility and is not overly rigid and stiff like all of the other brands. I would say the closest retail skate on the market similar to a Graf would be the 80k. 

13 hours ago, ParabolicActivity said:

In short, they tend to feel like an older traditional style skate.

Not sure what their retail presence is like these days, but the thing I like about Graf is their variety of fits.  I have a pretty narrow heel, wide-ish forefoot and medium-ish volume instep.  That puts me somewhere between a typical Vapor and Supreme fit.  Neither of those boots had the right combination of features for me and I tried them both for awhile.  The Vapors in a EE were the best, but even with those I was making some concessions.  

The only retail boot I was able to find that fit my feet everywhere, was the Graf 535/735.  Wide forefoot, narrow heel, enough volume to get good wrap and limit lacebite.  

If I'm being honest, I do miss the responsiveness of the taller/stiffer Vapors, but the comfort of the Grafs outweighs that minor edge for me.   

15 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

That's also one of their biggest problems, from a retail perspective. 

Oh, for sure.  Too many SKUs.  All the classic models (703, 705, 735, etc.) came in Narrow, Regular, and Wide.  Then they tried modernizing with the G75 and X035 series (carbon uppers, taller boots, different flex ratings) and lastly the Peakspeed.  All of which had a pretty middle of the road fit, which sucks for people like me, as those heel pockets are too wide/roomy, I don't get nearly the heel lock I get in my 535.  Seems the Canadian arm post resurrection is more or less a custom shop with limited retail offerings (Peakspeed). 

On 2/22/2020 at 11:19 PM, SkateWorksPNW said:

A low cut boot the allows more ankle flexibility and is not overly rigid and stiff like all of the other brands. I would say the closest retail skate on the market similar to a Graf would be the 80k. 

plus a more aggressive forward pitch.

i'm a Graf guy. i've skated in a few other skates the past few years but went right back to Graf.