Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Siponarius

Bauer Wide Skate Offering

Does anyone have any information on Bauer’s new wide skate offering (I assume is a Wide version of the Supreme)? Will the Supreme Wide be comparable or equal to the Nexus?

Wondering if I should scramble to get another pair of Nexus before they are gone (8.5EE), or wait and see what they come out with. 

I had to re-read your post a few times to figure out what you're asking. I'll go ahead and fix the title for you.

I don't know anything about a new skate. I would seriously doubt the legitimacy of any reports suggesting one. 

40 minutes ago, Siponarius said:

I swore I read somewhere here they were eliminating the Nexus skate line and having a supreme wide version. Maybe I’m dreaming. 

Nothing official from Bauer yet. I'm sure we'll be talking about it once they do.

Edited by stick9

13 hours ago, Siponarius said:

I swore I read somewhere here they were eliminating the Nexus skate line and having a supreme wide version. Maybe I’m dreaming. 

I've heard something similar.  Specifically that Bauer would be dropping Nexus and offering 3 distinct fits in the Vapor and Supreme lines. 

The top two models of the new line of skates due out in June will go to a new sizing system.  You will have two lines of skates - Vapor and Supreme - with different feature sets on each.  Within those two lines, you will now have 3 fit profiles.  The 3 profiles will line up to the D width of the current fits, with a little more blending of the profile.  Fit 1 will be like a Vapor - more narrow, less volume, though it will probably be more anatomical fit than tapered.  Fit 2 is Supreme - medium width, medium volume, very anatomical.  Fit 3 is like Nexus - wide and higher volume, though likely not as much volume as it is now.  You'll buy the skate in a model, fit, and size.  So a Vapor Size 8 Fit 3 would be like a current Vapor skate that fit like a Nexus size 8, and a Supreme 10F1 would be a Supreme that fit like a Vapor size 10.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, psulion22 said:

The top two models of the new line of skates due out in June will go to a new sizing system.  You will have two lines of skates - Vapor and Supreme - with different feature sets on each.  Within those two lines, you will now have 3 fit profiles.  The 3 profiles will line up to the D width of the current fits, with a little more blending of the profile.  Fit 1 will be like a Vapor - more narrow, less volume, though it will probably be more anatomical fit than tapered.  Fit 2 is Supreme - medium width, medium volume, very anatomical.  Fit 3 is like Nexus - wide and higher volume, though likely not as much volume as it is now.  You'll buy the skate in a model, fit, and size.  So a Vapor Size 8 Fit 3 would be like a current Vapor skate that fit like a Nexus size 8, and a Supreme 10F1 would be a Supreme that fit like a Vapor size 10.

Sorry to be Wikipedia about this, but can you verify your source for us?

13 minutes ago, start_today said:

Bauer, I'm guessing. The sales reps have been talking about this for months, and booking order documentation indicated the new "fit story" as they say (though I will confess to not having seen the actual order form as I don't deal with that anymore).

36 minutes ago, start_today said:

19 minutes ago, EvilPepe said:

Bauer, I'm guessing. The sales reps have been talking about this for months, and booking order documentation indicated the new "fit story" as they say (though I will confess to not having seen the actual order form as I don't deal with that anymore).

Correct.  That information is direct from a product designer at Bauer.  We had a discussion regarding the sizing and fit characteristics between past, current, and future models of skates.

8 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I assume you have permission from Bauer to be posting that here? 

That info is pretty widely known.  I was also given the release date which hasn't been announced yet that I was asked not to reveal. 

On 2/25/2020 at 12:18 PM, psulion22 said:

Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you talked about the things?

That really doesn't make sense. Why have any different lines of skates at all then?

Edited by 218hockey

On 2/25/2020 at 1:18 PM, psulion22 said:

Will there still be D and EE versions for all three fits? Like a fit 2 EE and a fit 2 D?

19 minutes ago, 218hockey said:

Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you talked about the things?

That really doesn't make sense. Why have any different lines of skates at all then?

Different feature sets.  Vapor will have the asymmetric quarter, the Recoil tongue, the injected eyelets, the Aerofoam liner, etc. that are in the Vapor line now.  The Supreme has the flexible tendon guard, the Reflex tongue, the symmetric quarter, more traditional eyelets, better wrap on the foot, and other Supreme features.  This is being done so that the type of skate you can get is no longer solely determined by the fit you need.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Will there still be D and EE versions for all three fits? Like a fit 2 EE and a fit 2 D?

No.  The top 2 lines get the fit system.  If you need a EE width, you'd go up a fit size.  The rest of the lineup gets regular size and width measurements in the traditional fit profile for that line.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, psulion22 said:

No.  The top 2 lines get the fit system.  If you need a EE width, you'd go up a fit size.  The rest of the lineup gets regular size and width measurements in the traditional fit profile for that line.

That sucks.  As that doesn't provide an option for folks who have a "non-traditional" fit.  Like me.  Supremes are a good width, but too big in the heel to provide good lock.  Vapors are good in the heel, but too narrow in the forefoot.  Having a EE available in the Vapor line provided the right heel lock and a forefoot width I could work with. 

44 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

That sucks.  As that doesn't provide an option for folks who have a "non-traditional" fit.  Like me.  Supremes are a good width, but too big in the heel to provide good lock.  Vapors are good in the heel, but too narrow in the forefoot.  Having a EE available in the Vapor line provided the right heel lock and a forefoot width I could work with. 

I'd hold off judgement until its officially announced. 

17 hours ago, 218hockey said:

It makes perfect sense. This way people don't have to wear a Supreme if they don't want to and vice versa. Maybe one line suits your play style better but your foot shape doesn't fit in that line. Or, you just want a vapor cuz thats what your hero wears.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s more or less the same number of SKUs. It probably ends up being a SKU reduction if you take into account the senior Supreme being offered in C,D,EE over the years.

New: 2 lines x 3 fits

vs

Old: 3 lines x 2 widths 

2 hours ago, krisdrum said:

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

I'd hold off judgement until its officially announced. 

Yeah, that's probably best.  The fit system is a done deal, but until you can actually see how each fit compares to the corresponding previous profile, I wouldn't make any judgements.  The other thing to consider is that the top two lines with the Fit system will likely be a semi-one piece boot.  The heel will be molded to the outsole like a True skate, so things like ankle lock and heel depth may be much more form fitting and customizable now.

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

It makes perfect sense. This way people don't have to wear a Supreme if they don't want to and vice versa. Maybe one line suits your play style better but your foot shape doesn't fit in that line. Or, you just want a vapor cuz thats what your hero wears.

Exactly.  I'll give you an example.  I also play goalie.  The lines of goalie skates are backwards - the Supremes fit like a player Vapor and the Vapors fit like a player Supreme.  The feature sets on both lines are different, with the biggest change being that the Supremes have an asymmetrical ankle, where the outside edge of the ankle is lower than the inside so you can get more flex.  It gives a slightly better attack angle for the butterfly.  I'm a player Supreme fit, they're great for me.  That means I should be in a Vapor goalie skate.  But I want that asymmetrical ankle, so I have to wear a Supreme and a fit that's not as good for me.  With the change, I'll be able to get the Supreme goalie features with a Supreme player fit.

On 2/25/2020 at 1:18 PM, psulion22 said:

Hmm, so if Vapor can have a Supreme fit and a Supreme can have a Vapor fit, what's the point of having two models? Might as well just have one model with three fits.  

Is it just marketing games they are playing or are there differences like boot flex and ankle padding between Vapor and Supreme?