Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
kenneth

Heel pain, punch out heel?

Trying bunch of new skates lately (coming from Trues > RBZ > Makos) and I noticed in particular AS1 and sometime in the Jetspeed that I could get very sharp pain in the back of the heel when i put my weight forward over my toes.

Is this a question of heel pocket not being deep enough or wrong shape for me? Can the heel pockets be punched out in these new one piece boots? I do have slight bauer bumps in my heels btw. 

Not totally out of the picture (since i hear new revision is lighter) as but I wanted a lighter less clunkier feeling skate and wanted to try and see what the new stuff is like. 

Its the Bauer bump on your heel. Most likely a nerve is running across the top of the bump, every time you stride the heel is wanting to lift in the pocket, the top of the bump gets pressed against the heel pocket and the nerve gets squashed / stressed. I have the same, had one heel revised with surgery and the surgeon found a nerve that had died due to the pressure on it, said it was the colour of a piece of white string. I can't even put my AS1's on, after 2 minutes my heels hurt even just sitting in them. I punched out the heels in my Jetspeeds but have now gone back to a skate with very little heel pocket ie the back is straight up and down, one100's. If there is no pocket then there is nothing for the bump to hit (plus I skate lace free so my heel is not locked in).

Whatever you decide to do, get the heel punched. It will save you a lot of grief further on down the road. If you get customs you should have a pocket for the bump but also ask to get the area above the bump pushed out so it can't hit the pocket. You can get the Jetspeeds punched but I never tried it with the AS1's, it should work ok.

Edited by Vet88

Thanks Vet88!  Thats exactly the pain; it's so sharp and immediate that it must be a nerve. Good to know that it can be relieved.  I do remember skates that gave me this issue have more shaped heal  (Vapor, Grafs etc). 

Edited by kenneth

3 hours ago, kenneth said:

Thanks Vet88!  Thats exactly the pain; it's so sharp and immediate that it must be a nerve. Good to know that it can be relieved.  I do remember skates that gave me this issue have more shaped heal  (Vapor, Grafs etc). 

Yep, those shaped heel pockets are killers. What you also want to watch out for is, when you gently run your finger over the top of the bump, if there is any tingling or other odd sensations. This is an indication a nerve is damaged and or dying. It's most likely NOT bursitis which is what most docs and physios will think it is. An ultrasound may not show it but an MRI should or exploratory surgery where they cut a small slit and pull the skin back to have a look.

I blew my achillies and got the bump removed at the same time but personally I wouldn't recommend it because of the cutting they have to do on the achillies to get to the bone (assuming your bump is located around the achillies region) and how much this can affect you when you return to skating. I think you are much better off getting the boot punched and protecting the bump long term and keeping the integrity of the foot, once the boot is punched then the pressure on the bump has gone and it shouldn't get any bigger. If you have nerve issues over the bump consider getting just the nerve removed.

I have similar in the right boot of my AS1. 

For me, it was caused by my heel lifting slightly Into the boot. 

Using my Stable 26 socks to tighten up the heel lock fixed the pain as my heel is fixed much better