Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jbear

Elbow guards...sizing?

So...thinking if trying something different. Currently using Jetspeed FT1's.  Like them but they slide a bit.  Here's the thing I'm struggling with. I am using medium,  but the guidelines online are saying small.  I'm 5'9"/165-7/33" waist. My measuring for EG's is about 12" but I can just about comfortably flex with the CCM mediums...still a little restrictive but I don't notice during play.  How do they get "small?"  I don't see it.  I tried on some AS1's yesterday and I kinda liked the large. Am I nutz? Thinking about Alpha DX or AS1's...maybe 2n...since I love the 2n shinnies. All input is welcome. Thanks all!

2 hours ago, Jbear said:

So...thinking if trying something different. Currently using Jetspeed FT1's.  Like them but they slide a bit.  Here's the thing I'm struggling with. I am using medium,  but the guidelines online are saying small.  I'm 5'9"/165-7/33" waist. My measuring for EG's is about 12" but I can just about comfortably flex with the CCM mediums...still a little restrictive but I don't notice during play.  How do they get "small?"  I don't see it.  I tried on some AS1's yesterday and I kinda liked the large. Am I nutz? Thinking about Alpha DX or AS1's...maybe 2n...since I love the 2n shinnies. All input is welcome. Thanks all!

I would definitely try the Tacks, they have the jdp cap.Size wise I guess you need to go with what's comfortable but my recommendation would be don't go any bigger than necessary. Few areas are worse IMHO as far as bulky equipment goes than on your elbows when you're trying to stick handle and make skilled plays.

The JDP style cap on the elbow/forearm is time proven design worn by nearly all pro players - you don't need to hit the top end AS1, the 9080 and 9060 feature it too. I'd take the 9080s just because they are black and won't look dirty after a few weeks.

Elbows are tricky because height and arm size don’t always line up. If you have longer, thinner arms, you may need a medium circumference but large length, depending on where you like things to sit. Or large circumference and medium  length. 

I’m 6’2”, and historically wear a medium, because it’s what best fist the circumference of my forearm. Currently in a medium original Reebok 10k. 

The past few years, when I try things on, I’ve felt better in a large (for Tacks, Vapors, Supremes, and Warriors), as I feel like I need the extra volume around my elbow.  Even though my pads are old and I’m 8-10 years older than when I bought them, I don’t think my arms have really changed. To me, it feels like the space your elbow sits into is shallower on recent elbow. 

—-

Total aside.... I feel like elbow pads are the most annoying, least sexy thing to buy. They are hard to size and boring to try on, and if you do it right, don’t notice them at all when you get new ones. You can visually see new pants and gloves and helmet, and they let other players know you are awesome. New sticks allow you to rip shots and make buttery toedrags. New skates change your whole game up and down the ice. New elbow pads...immediately go in the background. 

• Like 2

I could probably be happy sticking with the FT1's, but it bugs me that I have to keep "rearranging" them.  That's one thing that has me thinking about the DX with the inner sleeve.  Also,  for whatever anatomical or design reason...the AS1's didn't seem to move around on me.  I realize that it might be a totally different story on the ice versus in the shop.  It might come down to what I come across on Sidelineswap first.  Ice Warehouse has free return shipping,  so that's also an option. 

Great responses folks!

3 hours ago, Jbear said:

I could probably be happy sticking with the FT1's, but it bugs me that I have to keep "rearranging" them.  That's one thing that has me thinking about the DX with the inner sleeve.  Also,  for whatever anatomical or design reason...the AS1's didn't seem to move around on me.  I realize that it might be a totally different story on the ice versus in the shop.  It might come down to what I come across on Sidelineswap first.  Ice Warehouse has free return shipping,  so that's also an option. 

Great responses folks!

That's the beauty of the JDP style elbows. It's the next best thing to finding the ultimate - the Jofa 9144 pro stock.

I agree with the guy up above with the awesome username and how elbows are very tricky because there really isn't much of a sizing guideline.  I wore smalls for years because they always fit around my arms the best, but they were always too short and sometimes the elbow cap wasn't a great fit.  My issue is I have skinny arms, so what I've done recently is buy a medium (currently in Tacks since the jdp cap fits so well) but I modified the straps by folding them back on themselves and sewing them to shorten them up giving me a perfect fit.

• Like 1

Often I use the sleeve of my base layer shirt and wrap it over the end of my elbow pads to alleviate some of the movement.  Kind of helps.

I had a heck of a time having elbows. Had old RBz weren’t good and slid off. Had small warriors and they pinched. Had medium tacks and they slid off. I settled for 2S pros. They never move or budge and protect super well. Medium fitted well and I’m only 5’4. One of my elbows is larger due to it being different from when I broke it. 

a big secret I’ve learned is having wrist guards or a base layer. With the base layer roll it up over half the lad and it doesn’t move as much. I also have verbero shield guards and nothing budges at all.