Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Supple

Speed plate 2.0

I just bought the 2.0 speed plates and used my home oven to mould them. The mould seems good. The issue I’m running into is after skating for a bit the new stability portion seems too stiff and my toes go numb. Could this be due to skates being too tight or needing to break in the insoles? Any help would be amazing. 

2 hours ago, Supple said:

I just bought the 2.0 speed plates and used my home oven to mould them. The mould seems good. The issue I’m running into is after skating for a bit the new stability portion seems too stiff and my toes go numb. Could this be due to skates being too tight or needing to break in the insoles? Any help would be amazing. 

Shouldn't be the speed plates. Did you try them on with the stick foot beds?  

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

Skates are too tight.

Ok kind of figured. I haven’t heard of anyone else complaining about them so I kind of figured it had to be me haha. 

I had this issue with my tacks when changing out of S29s. 

i baked with stock insoles then did the speedplates myself at home. However due to the stiffer boot, the extra thickness was enough to push my foot up against the boot making my toes numb. 

it was fixed by rebaking the skates with the speed plates 

+1 speedplates are the best insoles imo. Really locks the fit that much more. I even use them in my trues. And I can't imagine using anything else for retail skates. 

On 3/5/2020 at 4:43 PM, Sniper9 said:

+1 speedplates are the best insoles imo. Really locks the fit that much more. I even use them in my trues. And I can't imagine using anything else for retail skates. 

It's too bad that Bauer is likely going to discontinue them. The good news is there are some other third party company working on a heat thermoformable footbed for hockey that is lighter and better than the Bauer SP. 

4 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

It's too bad that Bauer is likely going to discontinue them. The good news is there are some other third party company working on a heat thermoformable footbed for hockey that is lighter and better than the Bauer SP. 

Probably double the price too lol. I have three gen 1 SPs and one gen 2 stocked up. Haven't had any issues with cracking with the Gen 1s so far so they should last me a little while 

On 3/11/2020 at 6:52 AM, SkateWorksPNW said:

Why do you say Bauer will discontinue SP2? They are amazing IMO. 

2 hours ago, Leif said:

Why do you say Bauer will discontinue SP2? They are amazing IMO. 

It wasn't in their catalog for this season. The good news is our Bauer rep emailed and said it will be available again. He said it was a mistake on their part. 

From Bauer: "Just a quick note, the Bauer SpeedPlate 2.0 was missing from the Bauerbiz repeat catalog, in error.  It is in the catalog for 2020.  It has been added back there today and is in stock for immediate shipment."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2020 at 6:43 PM, Sniper9 said:

+1 speedplates are the best insoles imo.

Aren't the original Speed Plates good too? They just had some quality issues.

9 hours ago, 218hockey said:

Yes, I like them both but the first generation are a little thinner and lighter. 

10 hours ago, 218hockey said:

The first were excellent, but they tended to break as the plastic was quite brittle. My first pair lasted 6 months, the second not much longer. The new version is made from a more flexible plastic which does not fracture so easily, and they have a small amount of padding which makes them more comfortable. My version 2 speed plates have lasted nearly 18 months with no sign of breaking. So overall I reckon version 2 is a major improvement. 

8 hours ago, Leif said:

The first were excellent, but they tended to break as the plastic was quite brittle. My first pair lasted 6 months, the second not much longer. The new version is made from a more flexible plastic which does not fracture so easily, and they have a small amount of padding which makes them more comfortable. My version 2 speed plates have lasted nearly 18 months with no sign of breaking. So overall I reckon version 2 is a major improvement. 

I haven't broken one speed plate and I use the 1.0. I think they fixed the brittle issue after they rolled them out and realized there was a defect. 

13 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I haven't broken one speed plate and I use the 1.0. I think they fixed the brittle issue after they rolled them out and realized there was a defect. 

I bought my second set not long before the new ones came out. I guess they might have been old stock, or we have differences in heel shape. It was always the heel area that cracked.

8 hours ago, Leif said:

I bought my second set not long before the new ones came out. I guess they might have been old stock, or we have differences in heel shape. It was always the heel area that cracked.

Possibly. Mine have been baked quite a few times too.  I'm also only 160-165 lbs

Edited by Sniper9

On 3/11/2020 at 1:52 AM, PBH said:

It's too bad that Bauer is likely going to discontinue them.

I see they are on the Bauer markdown list and nearly all sizes depleted at the big online hockey stores. So no Speed plate 3.0? I'd like a lighter version of the 2.0 that doesn't crack.

Just ordered 3 pairs of speed plates as they sounded like something I’d really like.  Got the first pair today and they are too small for my skates.  I have a size 6 fit 1 skate and ordered size 6-6.5.  They slide back and forth in the boot when I push my fingers on them.  Pretty disappointed.  They are also insanely thick taking up way more volume than I’d like.  I’m still going to give them a go on the ice and see how it goes, but I can’t believe how off the sizing is.  

1 hour ago, caseyjones said:

Just ordered 3 pairs of speed plates as they sounded like something I’d really like.  Got the first pair today and they are too small for my skates.  I have a size 6 fit 1 skate and ordered size 6-6.5.  They slide back and forth in the boot when I push my fingers on them.  Pretty disappointed.  They are also insanely thick taking up way more volume than I’d like.  I’m still going to give them a go on the ice and see how it goes, but I can’t believe how off the sizing is.  

I've noticed recent Bauer skates fitting longer than their older models with their new Fit system. But I can move my Speedplates in my skates with my fingers, they slide around a bit. But once I actually have them in my skate with my foot they don't move at all.

29 minutes ago, Hills said:

I've noticed recent Bauer skates fitting longer than their older models with their new Fit system. But I can move my Speedplates in my skates with my fingers, they slide around a bit. But once I actually have them in my skate with my foot they don't move at all.

Same.  I’m down a full skate size from what I’d normally wear.  Just annoyed that something that is supposed to fit as an extension of the skate is moving around inside it.  Like you said I’m sure it won’t move when I skate, but….

i have a pair of 1.0’s on the way labeled 6.5 and apparently those are thinner than the 2.0’s so hopefully the work out better.  

Edited by caseyjones

1 hour ago, caseyjones said:

Same.  I’m down a full skate size from what I’d normally wear.  Just annoyed that something that is supposed to fit as an extension of the skate is moving around inside it.  Like you said I’m sure it won’t move when I skate, but….

i have a pair of 1.0’s on the way labeled 6.5 and apparently those are thinner than the 2.0’s so hopefully the work out better.  

Ya noticed this too. Pretty annoying having to try on so many models and fits again.

2 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Ya noticed this too. Pretty annoying having to try on so many models and fits again.

Yea, you helped me a lot in my search. Finally got the perfect fit and now the insoles are off LMAO

• Like 1

17 hours ago, caseyjones said:

Yea, you helped me a lot in my search. Finally got the perfect fit and now the insoles are off LMAO

Glad to hear. I actually went out and took my own advice trying all diff fits and sizes and have a couple hyperlite 2 s coming in the mail in diff sizes and fits. I think ultimately the best fit for me is going to be half a size down from what I've been wearing for years and a fit 3 with Bauer. Never thought I would wear any skate in the max volume fit but goes to show you just need to try on everything as sizing is never consistent even within the same brand and model. 

Btw, how much room is there when you push on the speedplates inside your boot?  If it's only a few mms it's not an issue as when you tie the skates, the actual insole will be locked in. Even stock footbed will have about 1-2mm play. 

Edited by Sniper9

7 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Glad to hear. I actually went out and took my own advice trying all diff fits and sizes and have a couple hyperlite 2 s coming in the mail in diff sizes and fits. I think ultimately the best fit for me is going to be half a size down from what I've been wearing for years and a fit 3 with Bauer. Never thought I would wear any skate in the max volume fit but goes to show you just need to try on everything as sizing is never consistent even within the same brand and model. 

Btw, how much room is there when you push on the speedplates inside your boot?  If it's only a few mms it's not an issue as when you tie the skates, the actual insole will be locked in. Even stock footbed will have about 1-2mm play. 

Yea I was kind of the opposite.  Never thought I’d wear a skate in a narrow fit, but some skates definitely allow you to mold them well.  I went with the best heel lock and tightest fitting all around to the point where it feels uncomfortable when you first put them on.  I found that after sitting with the mach’s tied up for about 10 minutes they’d start to open up a bit.  Then the baking and punching process makes them ultimately feel like a glove.  I do wonder if there was some kind of defect with my first pair.  Size 6 fit 2 was crushing my big toe on my left foot.  Two different pairs of size 6 fit 1 and I don’t experience that at all.  That first pair almost had me go up a half a size which would’ve been a mistake.  

there’s not a ton of movement with the speed plate.  You can hear it click back and forth.  Few mm at most.  I had to pry the stock footbeds out with a tool they were so tight.  I have a feeling the 1.0’s coming today will fit bette r since they are meant for a 6.5 skate and apparently take up less volume than the 2.0’s, but we’ll see…

edit: 1.0’s so much better for me. Size 6.5 fits perfect.  Nice and thin.  2.0’s are too bulky for me.  Completely changed the volume of the skate.  I took out the stock insoles (also very thick) and have been skating on paper thin Bauer form fit insoles that had the tabs on the front of them.  Speed plate also are very thin but more rigid.  Excited to give these a whirl.  Now I have to scour the web for more of these.  Can’t find them anywhere in my size 

Edited by caseyjones