Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
scottielewks

Skate Sharpener Adjustments

I have questions regarding skate holder adjustments.  I have an old Blademaster machine and use the Wissota 3D holder.  I have to make adjustments on every skate to get even edges (checked using the Blademaster BR100).  This is true for two skates of the same pair.  Often I will have a skate with an even front part of the blade but uneven back or vice versa.  Is it typical to have to adjust the holder for every skate?  Also, when making adjustments to get even edges should I adjust the back dial at all or just the front two on the holder.  I have checked for level and squareness on the holder a few times.

It is not usual. If you sharpen straight blades of the same thickness, remove the sand on the felt pad, let your machine warm up for some minutes, work in a room with constant temperature and have a failure free gauge and holder there shouldn't be any adjustments. And you can make a lot of other mistakes. Freehand sharpening needs some time and experience. 

Edited by hockeydad3

Very common.  Holders, steel, skates...even if the same pair...can have slight differences that can throw your skate sharpening off.  So yes, you need to adjust the holder typically for each skate.  Usually not much, maybe a click or two.  And yes, at times, though not often, you may need to adjust the pitch dial.  If you want less fiddling with adjustments, I would suggest sharpening your steel out of the holder, which may give you less variation.

Edited by shoot_the_goalie

Howdy,

10 hours ago, hockeydad3 said:

It is not usual.

5 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Very common.

LOL!  

🙂

Mark

And you don`t have to be perfect. If you are off for one to max. two lines it`s Ok. And it´s more important to be square in the gliding area (the 60% in the middle of the  blade) than in the toe and the heel area. And forget about grinding marks, if the blades are not square the grinding marks will be off center. Grinding ROH it is no problem if the pitch of the holder is off a little. Grinding FBV it is very important that the pitch of the holder is square.

On 3/7/2020 at 12:45 AM, shoot_the_goalie said:

Very common.  Holders, steel, skates...even if the same pair...can have slight differences that can throw your skate sharpening off.  So yes, you need to adjust the holder typically for each skate.  Usually not much, maybe a click or two.  And yes, at times, though not often, you may need to adjust the pitch dial.  If you want less fiddling with adjustments, I would suggest sharpening your steel out of the holder, which may give you less variation.

Agreed