Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
cause4alarm

they should bring back football-style shoulder pads

they should bring back football-style shoulder pads  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I played goalie during "those days". The large plastic shell pieces with air/foam padding beneath. They were relatively heavy because of the plastic shell pieces and took up a lot of space in your hockey bag. Cooper made this one for defenseman, it was quite solid on the outside.. Pretty sure no one ever broke their clavicle or sternum wearing that. No way anyone would wear that nowadays due to weight. But if they used modern closed-cell foams and carbon fiber plates, it might be a doable, yet expensive, set of shoulder pads.

I had CCM Supras back in the day and thought they were the bomb (they also made you look a bit like a stormtrooper, with the black padding and white plates).  However, they were bulky, heavy, and limited your range of motion quite a bit, vs anything on the market today.  They were super protective though.

I had Louisville's I believe back in HS, they were the same as the orange Easton Donzi's but different colors and branding (my friend had those)... they were absolute tanks!  I didn't feel anything but also could hardly move.

I remember having a pair of Douglas as a kid and then later a pair of Flak shoulder pads. I hated both of them so much but my parents made me wear them since they were worried I was going to get hurt since I was smaller than most kids  on my team and played in much higher levels for my age. My favorite shoulder pads were the Cooper Technifelx but it took a lot of convincing for me to get my parents to allow me to buy them. I still think those are some of the best should pads ever made for weight and mobility.

• Like 2

The pair I had we used to call 'Defenders' - I thought they were Cooper branded? You couldn't lift your arms over your head without them riding up and pinching your ears. Everyone looked huge in them though.

No, they shouldn't come back.

Edited by colins
  • Like 1

I think there was 'Douglas' Defenders, Easton had their 'Donzi' ones, I think Cooper had a few different iterations of bulky football like pads, & Jofa had a pair too I remember Lindros wearing them on a hockey card if I'm not mistaken.

Are you even allowed to have hard plastic on shoulder pads anymore?

3 hours ago, colins said:

The pair I had we used to call 'Defenders' - I thought they were Cooper branded? You could lift your arms over your head without them riding up and pinching your ears. Everyone looked huge in them though.

No, they shouldn't come back.

5 hours ago, the_game said:

I think there was 'Douglas' Defenders, Easton had their 'Donzi' ones, I think Cooper had a few different iterations of bulky football like pads, & Jofa had a pair too I remember Lindros wearing them on a hockey card if I'm not mistaken.

Are you even allowed to have hard plastic on shoulder pads anymore?

No I don't think you can have solid plastic on shoulder or elbows anymore.

Here's the Cooper Defender ones I was talking about. Lots of these around the bantam/midget hockey world in the late 80's:

cooper-defender-sbd-ii-hockey_1_da19d144

And these... the chest plate on these below look more familiar, but I remember the shoulder caps being huge like in the top pic... I didn't remember there being two different versions of these but maybe so.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSe4cw_MaOkrXi-yeoEMU

Edited by colins
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I remember having a pair of Douglas as a kid and then later a pair of Flak shoulder pads. I hated both of them so much but my parents made me wear them since they were worried I was going to get hurt since I was smaller than most kids  on my team and played in much higher levels for my age. My favorite shoulder pads were the Cooper Technifelx but it took a lot of convincing for me to get my parents to allow me to buy them. I still think those are some of the best should pads ever made for weight and mobility.

I remember we used to call the Flak shoulder pads "flak jackets" back when I was a kid, for obvious reasons.

2 hours ago, colins said:

No I don't think you can have solid plastic on shoulder or elbows anymore.

Here's the Cooper Defender ones I was talking about. Lots of these around the bantam/midget hockey world in the late 80's

cooper-defender-sbd-ii-hockey_1_da19d144

And these... the chest plate on these below look more familiar, but I remember the shoulder caps being huge like in the top pic... I didn't remember there being two different versions of these but maybe so.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSe4cw_MaOkrXi-yeoEMU

That's it!

My friend had those, but he carried them outside of his hockey bag. It can't lay flat.

Aside from the weight and bulkiness, I kind of wonder if that type of shoulder pad design would prevent collarbone injuries.

Not a T.J. Oshie superfan, but I just wanted to point out his particular injury as an example because it happens more often than not.

Here's a video showing him and the position of his body as he hits the boards.

Edited by caveman27

Growing up in prep school/juniors I saw plenty of AC joint injuries and fractured clavicles in guys that were wearing those style shoulder pads.  I had a separated shoulder myself wearing Douglas Defenders.  

With the design of those pads, the soft padding was really thin under the plastic shoulder cap at the point of the shoulder because that’s where multiple layers came together. So when you hit the point of the shoulder most of the protection was the plastic cap, not the soft material, meaning it didn’t absorb as much energy.  I saw fewer shoulder issues with guys that we wearing heavily padded shoulder caps - like the old Cooper Techniflex or some of the Jofa’s that were out around that time.    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shooter27 said:

Growing up in prep school/juniors I saw plenty of AC joint injuries and fractured clavicles in guys that were wearing those style shoulder pads.  I had a separated shoulder myself wearing Douglas Defenders.  

With the design of those pads, the soft padding was really thin under the plastic shoulder cap at the point of the shoulder because that’s where multiple layers came together. So when you hit the point of the shoulder most of the protection was the plastic cap, not the soft material, meaning it didn’t absorb as much energy.  I saw fewer shoulder issues with guys that we wearing heavily padded shoulder caps - like the old Cooper Techniflex or some of the Jofa’s that were out around that time.    

Interesting.

These are the kinds of shoulder pads T.J. Oshie wears (photo shows another player)

bKn5M.jpg

It's pro-stock model. Almost like Nexus. There's a lot of articulation and mobility allowed in the shoulder area.

That or he wears Eastons.

PM0688_Capitals.jpg

Edited by caveman27

20 hours ago, boo10 said:

Sorry, I just think it's funny that you refer to arguably the 2nd best defenceman all time as "another player".

What I meant was a different player.

I saw a photo of Oshie sitting in his spot in a locker room where there was a similar pair of Bauer shoulder pads behind him, but I think that was for a player who sat next to him in the locker room.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 3:08 PM, caveman27 said:

Aside from the weight and bulkiness, I kind of wonder if that type of shoulder pad design would prevent collarbone injuries.

Not a T.J. Oshie superfan, but I just wanted to point out his particular injury as an example because it happens more often than not.

Nope.  I can tell you from experience.  Like I said previously, I wore CCM Supras back in the day, and I took a check into the boards that fractured my collarbone. (clean, shoulder to shoulder check)  The one thing I would say, the old plastic cap style pads seem to do better against direct strikes, like getting hit with a puck or an errant stick.  I would assume lacerations too. 

• Like 1

Broken collarbones are so much a result of that perfect strike.  The impact, however padded, gives the collarbone nowhere to go.  I broke mine on a mild collision in men's league, just a product of the physics.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 3:41 PM, caveman27 said:

Interesting.

These are the kinds of shoulder pads T.J. Oshie wears (photo shows another player)

bKn5M.jpg

It's pro-stock model. Almost like Nexus. There's a lot of articulation and mobility allowed in the shoulder area.

That or he wears Eastons.

PM0688_Capitals.jpg

I would pass out from heat stroke if I had to wear these...