Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Beflar

How rare is it to have a very slight bend in your skate blade.

I noticed I had a slight bend in my skate blade.  Probably been like that for a very long time.  Store fixed it and it is an improvement but it is still not perfect straight.  After talking to the guy I got the impression that it is a very common thing and not to worry to much if it is very small...

Thoughts.

My info: 220 pounds probably 240 with equipment on.

Almost all steel has a bend to it of some type. I think when Sparx was first developing their machines they determined 90% of steel, even brand new, is not entirely within spec and has some type of curvature. This could be the steel itself or the holder exerting force on the steel to slightly bend. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 10:22 PM, Beflar said:

I noticed I had a slight bend in my skate blade.  Probably been like that for a very long time.  Store fixed it and it is an improvement but it is still not perfect straight.  After talking to the guy I got the impression that it is a very common thing and not to worry to much if it is very small...

Thoughts.

My info: 220 pounds probably 240 with equipment on.

When i took my skates to this sharpening place in my home town, the guy would look down the blade and sometimes flex it, as if there were a bend in it. I heard that people who had "lightweight" blades that Bauer made (either thinner metal or perforated with holes) had issues with bent blades.

6 hours ago, caveman27 said:

When i took my skates to this sharpening place in my home town, the guy would look down the blade and sometimes flex it, as if there were a bend in it. I heard that people who had "lightweight" blades that Bauer made (either thinner metal or perforated with holes) had issues with bent blades.

Its not just heavier players, perf steel or lighter steel. Bent runners are almost 100% due to a improper holder mount. Which is sadly more common than you'd think.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

Its not just heavier players, perf steel or lighter steel. Bent runners are almost 100% due to a improper holder mount. Which is sadly more common than you'd think.

Didn't know that.

The CCM Speedblade 4.0 seem to be okay so far. 

The holder on my 9070s were shocking.

talking about 10-15mm out. They straightened them, but every time after 1 skate it shifted back. 

eventually I got them warranty’s exchanged for some AS1s. 

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 2:42 PM, stick9 said:

Do holders just give out over time as well?

I have a pair of Bauer One 100.  I'm wondering if I should just buy new steel, new holder or just new skates....

15 hours ago, Beflar said:

I have a pair of Bauer One 100.  I'm wondering if I should just buy new steel, new holder or just new skates....

I doubt you'd see anything substantial just from time. It's not impossible.

I wouldn't put new steel in holders that were trashed from years of playing. But if they're solid and the boots are still n good shape, why not. It's the least expensive option.

On 3/27/2020 at 3:52 AM, Lihp8270 said:

The holder on my 9070s were shocking.

talking about 10-15mm out. They straightened them, but every time after 1 skate it shifted back. 

eventually I got them warranty’s exchanged for some AS1s. 

This is common.

At one time I used to measure the blade alignment for every skate we sold. Over time though the workload became too great and I now only do this with high end skate sales.

I would say on 25% or more the skate blade alignment is not within an acceptable spec. Sometimes I remount the holders myself if the tolerances aren't terrible but if they are way outside of spec I usually send them back to the manufacturer and get the customer a replacement.

I would say less than 3% of skates are so far out of spec that I cannot repair it. 

On 4/1/2020 at 8:33 PM, Beflar said:

Do you still have the ls2 holders in the one100s? People complain that the steel can feel loose in the Edge holders after a few years, but if you have the ls2, I’d think you’d be ok unless you’ve put some sort of above and beyond stress on them. 

Should be able to find some inexpensive Step steel for the ls2, since not many people use that. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, start_today said:

Do you still have the ls2 holders in the one100s? People complain that the steel can feel loose in the Edge holders after a few years, but if you have the ls2, I’d think you’d be ok unless you’ve put some sort of above and beyond stress on them. 

Should be able to find some inexpensive Step steel for the ls2, since not many people use that. 

So I have one extra set of Step steel for the LS2.  So I'm going to get those profiled and put on... I wonder what the odds are that it will fix everything.

3 hours ago, Beflar said:

So I have one extra set of Step steel for the LS2.  So I'm going to get those profiled and put on... I wonder what the odds are that it will fix everything.

I have the same setup, if the Step steel is straight before you put it in, it should remain straight. 

• Like 1