Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Tucker16

Need help picking new shin pads

Hello, last game I played I broke my super tacks shin pads. They cracked in the cap and it’s only going to spread I think. I’m quite annoyed that these didn’t even last a season. I bought them in hopes they’d be good for 4-5 at least. I don’t even remember an impact that did the damage...

im very interested in pro stock pads. But I’m a 13” leg size so jr. it sucks that there’s less options but I’m still looking. I found these jofa 2000 and 3000 (they’re black) and was wondering if these are any good and are they wide near the ankle. I wear them on top and prefer a wider fit by the skate. I don’t know if they are pro stock. I’ve been unable to find a 8k or 21k in my size or even a pro tacks pad. 

also I am sort of wary or buying any CCM tacks again. What sort of good protection, wider bottom with a good calf wrap is offered from say Bauer or warrior at retail? What about the Sherwood M90 pads I found online. They are only 69.99 so I’m suspicious of the protection level and quality. I want them to last a long time. 

thanks so much for your help!

For what its worth, i use 14" Intermediate, and i have the Warrior HD1 (was their top end a while back when i bought them).

Still going Strong, and im about 105Kg (google tells me 230lbs) . I always thought CCM were the most ''robust'' by reputation though.

2 hours ago, bnr032 said:

For what its worth, i use 14" Intermediate, and i have the Warrior HD1 (was their top end a while back when i bought them).

Still going Strong, and im about 105Kg (google tells me 230lbs) . I always thought CCM were the most ''robust'' by reputation though.

Me too! I’ve had rbk models for years I just grew out of them. And In minor I played A TON MORE. So I’m stunned to say the least. 

can you even find them anymore? How are the alpha QX or DX?

No Idea on the newer stuff, Stores over here in Australia are pretty limited, so we usually either have to buy when on work/social trips to US/Canada, or order online and hope.

Though i did buy mine a couple of trips ago in store over there. and whilst they had limited range (in INT sizing) i found the HD1 to be the widest at the bottom as i tuck my tongue under.
I just have short legs, as im actually 6" Tall. But every 'size guide' i dont fit 15 shins.

The new Alpha appear online very similar but updates colours, so design is similar.. Possibly newer tech in foams?

I really like the Nexus 2n's. Very robust and great calf wrap.  They are about 1/2 pound lighter than my Jofa 9060's and compare well.  Don't expect any current pads to last like the old days, but...they are lighter, often more comfortable, and dry so much faster it's crazy.  Depending upon the model...some are just as protective.  In this case, I think the 2n's do.  I sold a pair of Reebok 18K pads...these are better and those were really good!

10 minutes ago, Jbear said:

I really like the Nexus 2n's. Very robust and great calf wrap.  They are about 1/2 pound lighter than my Jofa 9060's and compare well.  Don't expect any current pads to last like the old days, but...they are lighter, often more comfortable, and dry so much faster it's crazy.  Depending upon the model...some are just as protective.  In this case, I think the 2n's do.  I sold a pair of Reebok 18K pads...these are better and those were really good!

I couldn’t find 2n in 13 anywhere. So I am tying a pair of sherwood M90. If I hate them I can return them. I ordered them online. If they aren’t it I’ll try looking for nexus again. 

13 hours ago, Tucker16 said:

I couldn’t find 2n in 13 anywhere. So I am tying a pair of sherwood M90. If I hate them I can return them. I ordered them online. If they aren’t it I’ll try looking for nexus again. 

2n doesn't exist in 13, i think they stopped making nexus 13" in the previous generation.

2 hours ago, th6252 said:

2n doesn't exist in 13, i think they stopped making nexus 13" in the previous generation.

Yep, 1N/N9000 were the last that came in a junior 13".  Generations prior to 1N (e.g., 8000 and 1000) in 13" were classified as senior at the time from a marketing perspective, but I don't think they were physically larger (in fact, I read here on MSH that 1N increased in width over those generations).

12 hours ago, titan1234 said:

Yep, 1N/N9000 were the last that came in a junior 13".  Generations prior to 1N (e.g., 8000 and 1000) in 13" were classified as senior at the time from a marketing perspective, but I don't think they were physically larger (in fact, I read here on MSH that 1N increased in width over those generations).

I don’t want to cut them at all so I’ll just go with something else. I am just stunned my new super tacks shins broke. Like... maybe 40 games? I was buying them for a long term purchase. I’ve always used jofa or rbk pads and never ever once has anything ever gone wrong. 

i hope the sherwood are ok. I know they arent a big brand anymore but they seem super well made and I love my rekker stick. 69.99 for the M90 top of the line seems great. I mean if I hate them I’ll sell them. 

As one anecdotal data point, I had a pair of shin pads develop a small crack in the knee. I assumed the crack would expand, but went another half a dozen seasons without expanding. So it's possible that it does not get worse.

Edited by Davideo

13 hours ago, Davideo said:

As one anecdotal data point, I had a pair of shin pads develop a small crack in the knee. I assumed the crack would expand, but went another half a dozen seasons without expanding. So it's possible that it does not get worse.

True. I just err on the side of caution. I’m going to resell them with the honest description of the crack. Maybe someone wouldn’t mind.