Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
caveman27

Is your rink closed? Corona virus stuff

Rinks that we do stuff in still open.  As of now we have practice tonight.  The schools all just called it, can't imagine hockey won't be next, it is the last thing we are involved with that hasn't.

Howdy,

Same general area as BenBreeg.  One of the rinks I ref and play at closed.  Two others nearby that I don't currently go to are closed.  One's still open (the one he mentions).  Another is so poorly run that I would expect they haven't yet heard about the Corona Virus.

I think the one BenBreeg mentioned as still being open is a matter of hours until they make the right decision and close, but ??  Either way, I won't be there.

My real question is if stuff like the Toronto Draft Tournament at the end of May is going to happen.

Mark

Edited by marka

20 hours ago, Giltis said:

All of the rinks in Montreal are closed as of today I believe. 

Yes, all city rinks and even the YMCA rink that my league plays in.

Ours is still open. We just got an email that the rooms will be sanitized between games and to keep gloves on in the handshake lines.

Yet our softball leagues, a sport which requires just about zero physical contact with other people, have been canceled.

It honestly makes little sense for them to continue. 

The rinks that I play out of are all closed for the next 1-2 weeks. It will be the longest I haven't touched the ice in a minute ha. But if this will be my biggest problem, then I can live with it. I just hope people take the necessary precautions so that the people able to fight this virus can do their jobs.

• Like 1

The main rink just closed.  I think he was trying to squeeze money out of the situation because hours before they sent out an email with tons of stick times every day.  Insurance or lawyers probably corrected that...

Howdy,

19 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

The main rink just closed.  I think he was trying to squeeze money out of the situation because hours before they sent out an email with tons of stick times every day.  Insurance or lawyers probably corrected that...

Baierl?

They're still open for adult league, AFAIK.  Which is fucking ludicrous.

I'm not going to attribute it to trying to squeeze money vs. trying not to lose a ton of money / make sure they can keep paying their employees.  Or even a misguided attempt at providing a place people can go to not go stir crazy.  But its all just so "not the right thing to do".

Mark

As of last night, yeah, they cancelled all youth programs, not shut down the rink.  Had to reread the e-mail.  Could be the motivation was misguided or even noble, just going off the scuttlebutt around the rink and the crazy stick times that were added.

I think 2 weeks will be the minimum. I can see some rinks (and other establishments) going past that threshold. Once again, if everyone would just put a pause (as much as possible) on their normal lives for 2 weeks, I think it would be much easier to weed out the those who should get tested/those who are test positive. We all know that won't happen though so I don't expect to touch the ice/sport court any time soon.

The closure will need to be much more than 2 weeks.  Given the latency between exposure and onset of symptoms and the rate of infection in addition to lack of widespread testing, it's a months thing vs. weeks.  Allegheny County (Pgh and surrounding area) just shut down all bars and restaurants and urged non-essential businesses to close for 2 weeks as of today.

Edit- clarified the details of county shutdown

Edited by BenBreeg
  • Like 2

Yep yep, here on the other side of the state, we've been going through closures since last week. I live in one of the 4 counties surrounding Philadelphia where most of Pennsylvania's cases have resided. Was just talking to one of my fellow officials and we also think it will be more than 2 weeks that rinks will be closed. Just stay safe people. Weird working from home and there are no sports to look forward to but rather be safe.

• Like 1

our rinks aren't closed here in ATL but the league just postponed for at least 2 weeks. as much as I hate it, I think it's the right call, especially judging by the amount of forfeits we had saturday night.

I'm currently in Missouri in my wife's home town. I've heard THREE people today saw it was media-driven nonsense. Her mom said "the obama swine flu ended up being nothing" so why would she believe this?

The people here are absolutely oblivious to what's going on in the world around them. It's crazy.

I wish I could force them all to read this: https://www.boredpanda.com/coronavirus-outbreak-stages-italy-jason-yanowitz/ 

3 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

The closure will need to be much more than 2 weeks.  Given the latency between exposure and onset of symptoms and the rate of infection in addition to lack of widespread testing, it's a months thing vs. weeks.  Allegheny County (Pgh and surrounding area) just shut down all bars and restaurants and urged non-essential businesses to close for 2 weeks as of today.

Edit- clarified the details of county shutdown

I understand why they would want bars and restaurants to close. But, thinking about it, there are no closures of grocery stores. This a place where one must get food, but you don't hang out like at a bar or restaurant. But, there can be a large number of people in a grocery store that would equate to having a lot of close contact with other people like being in a bar or restaurant. When they close grocery stores, that is when the crazy panic will happen.

Las Vegas: Just spoke to our league. All the rinks in town have suspended youth activities. The rink in the Fiesta (where I play) is still playing men's league. Not sure about City National Arena or Las Vegas Ice Center.

7 minutes ago, chk hrd said:

Las Vegas: Just spoke to our league. All the rinks in town have suspended youth activities. The rink in the Fiesta (where I play) is still playing men's league. Not sure about City National Arena or Las Vegas Ice Center.

You're lucky.

A lot of folks are upset the men's league is suspended. Of course, it's a way to prevent possible further spread of corona virus. There are usually 25 to 35 people (players and refs, scorekeeper/timekeeper), with about 0 to 10 fans in the stands. It's all less than 50 people in total, but if one of the players or refs or even timekeeper happens to catch it and bring it to the rink, that would expose it to a number of other people.

41 minutes ago, caveman27 said:

I understand why they would want bars and restaurants to close. But, thinking about it, there are no closures of grocery stores. This a place where one must get food, but you don't hang out like at a bar or restaurant. But, there can be a large number of people in a grocery store that would equate to having a lot of close contact with other people like being in a bar or restaurant. When they close grocery stores, that is when the crazy panic will happen.

Yeah, you need to keep some essential services open.  Wa Post had a good article with 4 simulations showing the curves for no action, isolating a single high-event community, 1/4 population remaining in public, and 1/8 of the population remaining in public.  It was interesting.  But yeah, might make sense to go to the store when you need to as early as it opens as possible.

32 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

Yeah, you need to keep some essential services open.  Wa Post had a good article with 4 simulations showing the curves for no action, isolating a single high-event community, 1/4 population remaining in public, and 1/8 of the population remaining in public.  It was interesting.  But yeah, might make sense to go to the store when you need to as early as it opens as possible.

I went out shopping on Friday. My wife told me to pick up non-perishable goods on the way home from work. I went to a warehouse club store, and the aisles were packed and the line to the registers were long. You couldn't avoid coming into close range with other shoppers.

Edited by caveman27