Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
caveman27

Is your rink closed? Corona virus stuff

I am very doubtful there will be any spring or summer hockey, but would love to be wrong. I am hopeful leagues can safely resume in the fall. Late April doesn't seem realistic at all. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Bummed for @black296tuuk.

Don't feel bad for me, I will figure out the next thing. I may end up back in a shop working on skates. I enjoy skate work and sharpening more than anything else so I may just semi-retire and sharpen.

If you want to help show some support for the rink there is an online petition that was started yesterday. I am hopeful that the rink will reopen under a new owner.

http://chng.it/Rk6V6sMQwT

I miss you JR, I always wanted to do Summerfest here. Maybe someday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Bummed for @black296tuuk.

1 hour ago, black296tuuk said:

Don't feel bad for me, I will figure out the next thing. I may end up back in a shop working on skates. I enjoy skate work and sharpening more than anything else so I may just semi-retire and sharpen.

If you want to help show some support for the rink there is an online petition that was started yesterday. I am hopeful that the rink will reopen under a new owner.

http://chng.it/Rk6V6sMQwT

I miss you JR, I always wanted to do Summerfest here. Maybe someday.

I sent them an email expressing interest in purchasing the facility myself and they said the LA Kings will be buying the facility, the deal is apparently already underway. 

• Like 2

For the people of Scottsdale, Arizona. I heard today that many of the rinks are now planning to stay closed until end of April. I was really hoping for the estimated reopening date of April 6th but it seems that isn't going to happen. 

In Seattle, WA the rinks in Renton and Kirkland are hoping to be reopened by mid-April. I don't have any updates for Seattle and Everett. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

2 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I sent them an email expressing interest in purchasing the facility myself and they said the LA Kings will be buying the facility, the deal is apparently already underway. 

This is incorrect. Are you using the info@icestation.net email? While the Kings have expressed interest there is nothing close to a done deal at this point and the likelihood of the Kings doing anything this big is almost zero. There have been some very productive talks with others but all very preliminary. If you have real interest you can email us and we can arrange a call.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Like everywhere else, all hockey rinks (that I know of in Minnesota and Fargo) are closed. And many have removed their ice completely for now.

Minnesota did get their high school hockey tournaments completed which was great but the Minnesota Hockey Youth State Tournament was canceled the morning it was supposed to start. That was a real blow and I know some teams had made it to the towns they were playing before the cancellation.

The spring Minnesota HP program has been canceled. My son should have had tryouts in Moorhead this past Saturday.

All of our spring AAA tournaments are in limbo. They're looking for June and July dates I'm sure. Some tourneys with 100-200 teams at $1500-$2000 each, I'd want to reschedule too! I know the Minnesota Made Stars and Stripes tournament in Edina is looking at moving from the May 2nd weekend to June 25-28. Who knows what will happen.

Of course the health and financial implications cannot be overstated for many people. This is a hockey board so I'm posting about our hockey life being affected. I mean no indifference to anyone facing life or death issues caused by this pandemic.

Lots of angles, and to 218hockey’s point, any discussion of hockey in no way implies it is anywhere near as important as the health risks.

I realize that the financial pressures on rinks and orgs is great, but any rush to get rinks open is asinine.  Mathematically, we aren’t anywhere near over this, and rushing people back into the confined spaces of locker rooms and lobbies is foolhardy.

I am sure his isn't the case but wouldn’t it be nice if people saw their kids off from hockey until fall, playing basketball in the driveway and riding bikes, etc. and it dawned on them that little Johnny’s skills didn’t atrophy, he was super excited to get back to the rink, and his path to scholarships and parental glory was still on track?

What am I thinking?  All this isolation must be affecting my brain...

Edited by BenBreeg
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

I guess if there's any silver lining to this, maybe rinks can resurface their ice for when hockey/skating resumes, improving ice conditions all around.  However, most of the local rinks here are completely dark.

That's what folks here are saying. There's a semi-bad area where the rink doors close behind the nets. The boards aren't quite even and the ice is not level. The rink folks do level the ice maybe twice a year, once in the fall before hockey and figure skating start up and once before a big figure skating competition in the spring when they need level ice.

23 hours ago, caveman27 said:

That's what folks here are saying. There's a semi-bad area where the rink doors close behind the nets. The boards aren't quite even and the ice is not level. The rink folks do level the ice maybe twice a year, once in the fall before hockey and figure skating start up and once before a big figure skating competition in the spring when they need level ice.

Many of the rinks are taking the ice down to the sand and then repairing things, doing new lines, and building it back up. I know both Sno-King rinks in WA are doing such.

• Like 1

Gov. Tom Wolf extended our state's "Stay-At-Home" order till April 30, 2020. I'm not surprised that we'd be away from the rinks for a bit just crazy to think how long this could last. As long as I can stay healthy, it will be really hard for me to complain. 

Edit: Actually is for 33 PA counties but it looks like he may just have the order for the whole state (makes more sense to me).

Edited by 215BroadStBullies610

While thinking about it all, I figure if something like this comes around again, instead of shutting everything down, people can wear masks and go about their business. It would be inconvenient to wear a respirator mask while playing hockey but doable at the same time.

For guys in a beer league, was your team going up before things got shut down? Were they getting worse? Were they staying the same? Was your team on top, middle or bottom?

The team I am on got off to a rough start. We were losing games by 4 to 6 goals regularly. We made it to the bottom of our division around Christmas time. But, we started building up wins afterwards. We had some loses against better ranked teams, but they were close and lost by a point in OT. We had three regular season games to go and the league was put on hold. We were in the middle ranked fourth out of eight. I don't know how we are going to do once we get back into it, which who knows when that is going to happen. Any momentum/team mojo we had is gone for the most part. Every team makes it into the playoff so it's not like we weren't going to clinch a playoff spot.  

Howdy,

48 minutes ago, caveman27 said:

For guys in a beer league, was your team going up before things got shut down? Were they getting worse? Were they staying the same? Was your team on top, middle or bottom?

The team I am on got off to a rough start. We were losing games by 4 to 6 goals regularly. We made it to the bottom of our division around Christmas time. But, we started building up wins afterwards. We had some loses against better ranked teams, but they were close and lost by a point in OT. We had three regular season games to go and the league was put on hold. We were in the middle ranked fourth out of eight. I don't know how we are going to do once we get back into it, which who knows when that is going to happen. Any momentum/team mojo we had is gone for the most part. Every team makes it into the playoff so it's not like we weren't going to clinch a playoff spot.  

Our team was holding its own pretty well.  I would say that the past couple seasons we've been in the "above average but not dominant" range and this session was similar.  Things were shaping up that sometime later this month we'd likely have been going into playoffs with a realistic shot at a championship game rematch against the top team in our division, hoping to be on the other side of the 2 games to 1 defeat we had last season.

And now its all cancelled.  The rink shuts down in the summer months, and last week they officially pulled the plug on restarting before fall.

Mark

So, non-essential business were going to be able to open on Friday, April 24, 2020 (executive order 53) in Virginia. And the governor just pushed it back two more weeks to May 8, 2020.

Rinks are starting to open here in Vegas - was supposed to skate tonight but the ice isn't ready as two of the main facilities in town took the opportunity to redo their ice with the pause in use. Seems like City National, which is VGK's practice facility, will open later than the others.

Howdy,

8 hours ago, greech said:

Rinks are starting to open here in Vegas - was supposed to skate tonight but the ice isn't ready as two of the main facilities in town took the opportunity to redo their ice with the pause in use. Seems like City National, which is VGK's practice facility, will open later than the others.

Any early world via rink schedules or managers or anything on if all the Vegas ice time will dry up a bit because there are 12 NHL teams there practicing / playing?

Mark

I’m not sure I’d be skating yet even if ours did open, TBH. I don’t really feel like stuff is reopening because its actually safe to do so...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Any early world via rink schedules or managers or anything on if all the Vegas ice time will dry up a bit because there are 12 NHL teams there practicing / playing?

Mark

So, until they’ve confirmed Vegas as a host city, and we get to the NHL’s reopening phase where there’s whole team skates, I don’t know if we’d see any effect on the ground. Before the renovation of the two rinks I’d mentioned, I only know of 3 pads that are NHL quality in town. I can’t imagine there will be any ice free if and when they come to town.

10 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I’m not sure I’d be skating yet even if ours did open, TBH. I don’t really feel like stuff is reopening because its actually safe to do so...

So, fair point, I was a bit relieved that I had last nights game cancelled, I’m still extremely torn on actually going and skating.