Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
caveman27

Is your rink closed? Corona virus stuff

2 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

I've been hearing rumors that a lot of rinks in the first phase of opening across the country are going to require players/skaters wear masks at all times.  Has anyone heard rumblings about this?

Howdy,

One of my local rinks opened up at midnight last night.

Outside of limiting # of skaters (10 per side), it seems like everything is the same as it was.  They're encouraging less time in locker rooms (memos about how folks should get dressed at home, but that seems more focused on kids).

Certainly not playing with masks.

I've not been there yet and I'm not comfortable with it yet.  I'm going to give it the rest of June and see what happens in terms of cases, etc.

Mark

There are two rinks in my area and they are going to open on Monday, today would be Phase 2 for our state. Ice rink schedules aren't out yet. I'm guessing they are going to restart the last season in Phase 3.

One the rinks will start opening up next week for youth camps with limited access. As for the adult league, it seems that each team will get two lockers to enable social distancing while getting dressed and will have to clear the locker room quickly after our game is played. 

On 6/6/2020 at 7:14 AM, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

One the rinks will start opening up next week for youth camps with limited access. As for the adult league, it seems that each team will get two lockers to enable social distancing while getting dressed and will have to clear the locker room quickly after our game is played. 

That's a good idea. All locker rooms will be closed where I am. I'm not sure if it's worth it. I could wait for Phase 3 where they won't have restrictions and they'll start up the league.

Yea, that's the rub right there. I don't think they will start hockey till our area is in the area in the Green Zone itself. By that time, I'm sure the rink will have a decent sense early on if their new way of doing things is working.

On 6/5/2020 at 2:11 PM, shoot_the_goalie said:

I've been hearing rumors that a lot of rinks in the first phase of opening across the country are going to require players/skaters wear masks at all times.  Has anyone heard rumblings about this?

Not in MA.

13 hours ago, Monty22 said:

Not in MA.

No mandatory masks at the one that has opened so far around here, but there are lots of guidelines when spring (now summer) starts for the kids this week.

On an annoying note, apparently one rink sold ice the entire time and teams were actually practicing...

Rinks in the Pittsburgh area are starting to open up. No news on the paused adult leagues starting back up yet. But, it looks like the larger complexes are instituting a "come to the rink dressed, no locker rooms, no showers" policy. I honestly don't know if I can do a 10:50PM game and drive home drenched in my own sweat...

1 hour ago, JoeyJ0506 said:

Rinks in the Pittsburgh area are starting to open up. No news on the paused adult leagues starting back up yet. But, it looks like the larger complexes are instituting a "come to the rink dressed, no locker rooms, no showers" policy. I honestly don't know if I can do a 10:50PM game and drive home drenched in my own sweat...

If it came down to that, I’d probably focus on inline for the time being, way easier to dress at home for that. My ice league already announced that it’s nearing time to resume season, but that it’d be shortened. They are giving teams the option to refund if they can’t continue due to lack of interest, my team captain was leaning towards that, which I’d accept as I can probably find a roller team for that night 

Just got the email that the Canlan rinks in Ontario are opening up with an 8 game season starting July 22nd.  Lots of changes happening and honestly sounds more like organized shinny.

Some of the changes:

- 4 on 4, max 8 skaters per team, all penalties are penalty shot, any attempt to play the body is a penalty, purposely getting too close to another player may result in game ejection, no faceoffs, redline offside, no showers, full fishbowl mandatory.

2 hours ago, boo10 said:

..., full fishbowl mandatory.

That's a joke. The size of the holes in the lower part of the clear full-face masks would not stop a 1 micron sized virus.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Howdy,

8 hours ago, caveman27 said:

That's a joke. The size of the holes in the lower part of the clear full-face masks would not stop a 1 micron sized virus.

I expect that like with cloth masks, a rule like that is about "don't spray your virus as far" vs. "stop you from breathing in the virus".

Mark

• Like 1

I tried a bubble very briefly as a teenager. From what I recall, it was hotter and fogged up. If I would've used it longer than it likely would've gotten scratches as well. I get the idea behind the use of the bubbles, but it practice I think it may make people breath harder and sweat more. I'm totally down with 4 on 4 and wearing a mask and social distancing off the ice, but am not a fan of the full facemask requirement on the ice. It's also an extra cost for something you may only use for 8 games (that's how long the proposed ASHL summer season is). It's a hard pass from me, but I may change my tune if it's still a requirement in the fall/winter and there are no other leagues or options that don't require the full shield. 

Full bubble face-shields being made mandatory would be awful in my neck of the woods. It's rare to see anyone using this type of mask, lots of full cages mind you, just very few of the Itech bubble-type. So everyone would have to get one if made mandatory, and there simply isn't close to enough supply at local stores. It's a problem that would resolve itself with time, but in the beginning would leave a lot of players on the sidelines as they simply can't get one, our local stores had limited supply before as there was minimal demand for that type of mask. Even online, if this becomes widespread with mandatory use, online retailers will run out in short order. Personally with the large holes in the bottom, I can't see how they would do anything to prevent the spread of the virus, droplets would get out just as easily as any other type of normal hockey face-mask. 

At least if everyone is required to do it there’s no worry about chirping. Not that that SHOULD be any concern, but... we all know better than to be that naive.

Most rinks in California will be closing again as the State went back to restricting indoor activities today. 

Edited by SirJW