Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
BureKovy

Base Hockey Blade Stiffness

Has anyone had experience with the stiff or regular blade stiffness?  How does it feel with shot, stickhandling, passes etc?  Wonder if going with a softer blade will give a more dampened and better puck feel.

I've only used extra stiff and some of their old blades which they said was closer to a stiff.

You kind of answered your own question, the regular blade is dampened, like a Nexus/JetSpeed blade. The stiff would be more like the Ribcor or a Vapor, and the X-Stiff would be like the Super Tacks. 

I typically like a dampened feel to my blades, but hated the regular stiffness Base blades. They felt completely dead, I wouldn't recommend them personally.

Like you mentioned earlier Base told me that their "Stiff" blade is the older construction. 

They were ok, but I found the X-stiff better (more durabile) and the feel isn't much different. If you're concerned about the blade being to pingy, add an extra layer of tape.

• Like 1

You can a have a stiff blade that isn't pingy tho....  the Easton Stealth was a pretty pingy stiff blade and the puck used to bounce off for me.  My Tacks and True blades are stiff but receive a pass nicely.  I find the advantage to a stiffer blade is obviously accuracy in shooting but in all honestly I get more feedback from the puck and thus feel and receipt of passes has improved.  Just try some out in warmups from other guys...

I use AS2Pro's, which I understand have very stiff blades (comparatively). I find the feel (passing and receiving), shot power, and accuracy to be the best of anything I've tried.  It seems to be different for everyone depending upon your mechanics. That's just what does it for me. 

Just looking for a more dampened blade feel for stickhandling without effecting shot too much.  If it's not really a noticeable difference, then I'll probably stick with extra stiff.  Also need the durability for face offs.

I have both the x-stiff and the regular blades. I do tend to find the regular does have a better puck feel and does not suffer from being damaged more than than x-stiff. The x-stiff I do notice the puck comes off a little quicker but I have different shaft flex’s on each which can be misleading.

On 3/15/2020 at 4:53 PM, SkateWorksPNW said:

You kind of answered your own question, the regular blade is dampened, like a Nexus/JetSpeed blade. The stiff would be more like the Ribcor or a Vapor, and the X-Stiff would be like the Super Tacks. 

Regular is nowhere near a Nexus/Jetspeed blade. It's really, really soft. Made for roller/ball hockey or Daniel Brière.

I do like a dampened blade, and I've used both XS and S, but I prefer the XS. I'd say stick with the XS, or try something like a Sher-Wood T90 gen 2, Bauer 2S Pro (most dampened blade feel of any stick I've used, outside of wood), or CCM Trigger. In terms of BASE sticks, personally I find that the SuperNatural in particular feels nicely dampened with the XS blade.

21 minutes ago, MrData said:

Regular is nowhere near a Nexus/Jetspeed blade. It's really, really soft. Made for roller/ball hockey or Daniel Brière.

I do like a dampened blade, and I've used both XS and S, but I prefer the XS. I'd say stick with the XS, or try something like a Sher-Wood T90 gen 2, Bauer 2S Pro (most dampened blade feel of any stick I've used, outside of wood), or CCM Trigger. In terms of BASE sticks, personally I find that the SuperNatural in particular feels nicely dampened with the XS blade.

Thanks, considering going with a Supernatural for the next stick.

Is Base going to come out with any new curves?  They never progress even with the max height option they talked about on the blog.