Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
The Hockey Guy

METAL TIPPED HOCKEY LACES

I used to use gorilla laces back in the day.

image.png.376e4ed36f87ccf471059c1df32806ff.png

I'm not sure the metal tips really do much. I'm also really not sure Elite makes the best laces, either. lol.

32 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I used to use gorilla laces back in the day.

image.png.376e4ed36f87ccf471059c1df32806ff.png

I'm not sure the metal tips really do much. I'm also really not sure Elite makes the best laces, either. lol.

I tried using these but they were a nightmare to get through eyelets. 

I disagree that Elite has the best laces.  They are one of the worst IMO.  The amount of wax they have is absurd.  Most of it accumulates on the eyelets.  Never bake a skate with Elite waxed laces unless you want it to melt all over your hands.  Their laces are also very thin, which rolls more than other brands.  I like that they have molded tips but that's about it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mickz said:

I disagree that Elite has the best laces.  They are one of the worst IMO.  The amount of wax they have is absurd.  Most of it accumulates on the eyelets.  Never bake a skate with Elite waxed laces unless you want it to melt all over your hands.  Their laces are also very thin, which rolls more than other brands.  I like that they have molded tips but that's about it.

100% Id almost rather use crappy Bauer factory laces.

Besides, when was the last time anyone had issues with their lace tips?? Get some Howies and be done with it.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Superjet said:

I want oval laces!

I’m using  some elite laces that are kind of ovular- https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Elite_ProSeries_Premium_Wide_Hockey_Skate_Laces_Unwaxed/descpage-EWIDE.html

They are ok. Been using them probably two or three months. They still twist the way other laces do. Before this, I used waxed for the last 10-15 years. These feel like they hold as well. 

I remember loving the metal tipped laces on my old Bauer 7000s back in high school - until they somehow came into contact with my steel and absolutely destroyed my sharpening. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stick9 said:

100% Id almost rather use crappy Bauer factory laces.

Besides, when was the last time anyone had issues with their lace tips?? Get some Howies and be done with it.

All the time with my Trues 😞 Always have to end up burning the tips so they fit through the eyelits 

49 minutes ago, Hills said:

All the time with my Trues 😞 Always have to end up burning the tips so they fit through the eyelits 

I rarely have lace issues. However, I tend to swap out laces every few months since I have OCD and hate when my bright white laces get dirty. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hills said:

Because of the skate's great wrap, I had a hard time getting one of the tips through an eyelet, so I curved the tip with needle nose pliers and coated it with super glue so it holds its curve. It makes it easier to guide it through the eyelet.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I rarely have lace issues. However, I tend to swap out laces every few months since I have OCD and hate when my bright white laces get dirty. 

You are not alone sir!

21 hours ago, stick9 said:

Never had an issue, maybe its the skates....  😏

It is, the wrap makes the lace have to be like squished through the eyelits at an angle and eventually they all fall apart

On 3/18/2020 at 3:40 PM, SkateWorksPNW said:

As a fellow OCDer, you know what would really drive you crazy?  Leave one skate with dirty laces and put new clean laces in the other.  I can guarantee you that's all you'll think about when you're playing.

On 3/17/2020 at 7:39 PM, mickz said:

I'm using some non-waxed Elite PRO-X7 laces right now and I'm very happy with them. They're wider than their regular laces.

Edited by Larry54
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Larry54 said:

I'm using some non-waxed Elite PRO-X7 laces right now and I'm very happy with them. They're wider than their regular laces.

I use those too. I agree though that the quality of Elite laces isn't great, but these are still my favorite. 

• Like 1

With how hard it is to lace the top eyelets in VH/True skates I always buy laces way too long so I don’t have to. I just double lace (the initial crisscross before you make your loops) and then double knot them (because unlike skaters, retying my skates is not an option) and then tuck them up under my socks. Works for me.

I'm not a fan of Elite either, I've been using Howies waxed the past while and have been happy.  I tend to run laces as long as I can because I hate breaking in new laces... you know those first handful of times where the laces just don't have the right stretch or give to them?  Or am I alone in this lace break in thing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, asgoodasdead said:

i've always bought longer laces than needed and knot the ends so ive never had an issue with tips since they only really get laced once

People like you drive me crazy when you bring in your skates for rivet replacements and such. I cut your laces off since I don't have time to screw around with untying your dumb knots. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm the opposite. I like my laces to be as short as possible (also slightly OCD but in a different way). I use 72" laces since I don't lace the top 2 eyelets, which means I only use 7 eyelets, and still end up with a rather big bow since my skates are approximately size 6. I still have to unlace the 3rd eyelet to get my skate on and off.

Edited by Larry54

21 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

People like you drive me crazy when you bring in your skates for rivet replacements and such. I cut your laces off since I don't have time to screw around with untying your dumb knots. 

ive never had rivet replacements, but i did drop my skates off for something last year i forget what and they cut my laces so i was like "wtf" and they gave me a free pair of replacement laces. so i won on that deal

20 hours ago, mojo122 said:

The majority of people who do that also have floppy tendon guards.

no floppy anything here. on top of my laces being extra long, i also skip the top hole. so when unlaced they're plenty loose for me to slip on and off easily and for the skates to air out properly