Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Lihp8270

Tacks AS1 saved potentially serious injury

Bit of a strange one this, but I blocked a shot on Sunday night which was right on the toe box of my skate.

After mopping up some blood and a trip to A&E the day after it appears my toe is actually broken. 

The toe box is unmarked and undamaged, it made me wonder, are high end skate toe boxes stronger, would this injury have been worse in a cheaper skate?

obligatory image gallery of a broken toe, note that there’s some blood and bruising in the photo gallery. 
https://imgur.com/a/IgKKLcM

Make sure to check the toe box really good. I took a shot square on the toe and I felt small piece break loose into my skate. The toe box didn't look worse for wear and stayed on for the rest of the game. When I got home and was able to look a little closer the toe box was pretty much seperated from everything. If I had taken another shot off the toe during the game it would have came off completely and really caused some damage. 

• Like 1

The toe box is plastic and is malleable.  I have had it compress from blocking a shot just like you did and the toe box was fine afterward.  I don't know if higher end toeboxews are better than lower end skates but my gut tells me they are the same.  That's a plastic part that is interchangeable and easily mass produced.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, chk hrd said:

Make sure to check the toe box really good. I took a shot square on the toe and I felt small piece break loose into my skate. The toe box didn't look worse for wear and stayed on for the rest of the game. When I got home and was able to look a little closer the toe box was pretty much seperated from everything. If I had taken another shot off the toe during the game it would have came off completely and really caused some damage. 

Can’t feel anything inside the skate at all. May pull my laces off and see if I can get a real good feel around though with the tongue pulled out. 

14 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

The toe box is plastic and is malleable.  I have had it compress from blocking a shot just like you did and the toe box was fine afterward.  I don't know if higher end toeboxews are better than lower end skates but my gut tells me they are the same.  That's a plastic part that is interchangeable and easily mass produced.

It may be a case that there’s not much they can do to prevent an injury such as mine. 

good news is though that I’ve already been discharged from the fracture clinic and district nurse. 

It’s not as bad as it first appeared, and it should be good in 4-6 weeks. 

• Like 1

This wouldn't happen with a TRUE skate. The plastic toe cap on a TRUE skate is separate from the boots carbon frame. Basically, you have two section for impact displacement. 

aqL34Y5.jpg9L6dT8d.jpgFcPXzTT.jpg

Edited by SkateWorksPNW