Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jbear

My Shoulder Pad Journey...Cont.

Okay...never wore them all through college; maybe just like..Cooper SB96 or something like that.  No real protection...I know...stupid, but what 17-18 yo isn't.

Fast forward a gazillion years...I am back in the game after 15 yrs off thanks to a double hip replacement, and happy to say...at a pretty high level.  That means there are guys who can bring it.  I went back to my old no-shoulder-pad-ways...awesome.  Then I took one on the delt.  couldn't lift my arm for two days...ouch.  Ok...I give...I'll wear 'em.  My dilemma...at 5'9"/167/33w/40"chest....every pair makes me look like a block and the caps are annoyingly large.

Tried or tried on...Supreme S1, Jetspeed  FT1, other Jetspeeds, STX RX3...same issue with all.  Closest was the RX3 but the neck was so high it was choking me plus the bicep guards only cover the side of your arm...not the bicep...it's going back (nice 14 day tryout policy).

I found that the AS1's ironically are the smallest profile...so, I found a pair of Reebok Kinetic Fit Hybrid (padded shirt/shoulder pads) on Sidelineswap.  They seem very similar to the AS1's and only $30!  If they don't work...I guess it's $200 for some AS1's.  If anyone has tried these hybrids...I'd love to hear about 'em. 

Anyway...you guys were right...being out there with a bunch of college players and ex-junior and ECHL guys without SP's is just dumb.  I used to be dumb...now...not so much.  I didn't come all this way back to take one to the sternum or spine or dislocate a shoulder!

23 minutes ago, Jbear said:

Okay...never wore them all through college; maybe just like..Cooper SB96 or something like that.  No real protection...I know...stupid, but what 17-18 yo isn't.

Fast forward a gazillion years...I am back in the game after 15 yrs off thanks to a double hip replacement, and happy to say...at a pretty high level.  That means there are guys who can bring it.  I went back to my old no-shoulder-pad-ways...awesome.  Then I took one on the delt.  couldn't lift my arm for two days...ouch.  Ok...I give...I'll wear 'em.  My dilemma...at 5'9"/167/33w/40"chest....every pair makes me look like a block and the caps are annoyingly large.

Tried or tried on...Supreme S1, Jetspeed  FT1, other Jetspeeds, STX RX3...same issue with all.  Closest was the RX3 but the neck was so high it was choking me plus the bicep guards only cover the side of your arm...not the bicep...it's going back (nice 14 day tryout policy).

I found that the AS1's ironically are the smallest profile...so, I found a pair of Reebok Kinetic Fit Hybrid (padded shirt/shoulder pads) on Sidelineswap.  They seem very similar to the AS1's and only $30!  If they don't work...I guess it's $200 for some AS1's.  If anyone has tried these hybrids...I'd love to hear about 'em. 

Anyway...you guys were right...being out there with a bunch of college players and ex-junior and ECHL guys without SP's is just dumb.  I used to be dumb...now...not so much.  I didn't come all this way back to take one to the sternum or spine or dislocate a shoulder!

Do you have a picture of yourself wearing shoulder pads, no jersey? I can't see how these shoulder pads can even come in contact with your throat.

I had a similar issue.  I used to wear the bigger, blockier type shoulders, like a Supreme model.  I forgot them one game.  One of my teammates two shifts into the game mentioned how much faster and more agile I seemed.  My gf brought me my pads and I put them on, and this teammate said I changed back, I wasn't turning my upper body as well.  Another teammate had a pair of Vapors that he had taken off because they were new and he didn't like them.  I tried them on instead, and my game went mostly back to where it was without the SPs.  After the game, I bought the Vapors from the guy, and I'm still wearing them.  I think they're Vapor XXXX's or X:60s, that's how old they are.  Long story short, look into the aglity line for the different brands.  Bauer would be a Vapor, not the Supreme.  CCM is the Jetspeed.  With the top tier models of those lines, the shoulder caps are lower profile, and go more outwards than up.  You could also probably save a few bucks and go down one step to the second model.  the protection would still probably be good enough, and certainly better than nothing.  The Jetspeed FT390 is more of a tapered design which you may like better.  And the entire Bauer Vapor line is on clearance right now, so that may be a good option as well.

Edited by psulion22

Believe it or not...trying on CCMs...the FT1s were blockier than rmthe AS1s.  Seems counterintuitive,  but I had them on.  Could also be different for different body types. I have a short torso.

37 minutes ago, Jbear said:

If I was 3" taller...I wouldn't have this problem...then again...I'd have to give up my awesome low center of gravity🤣

Oh, so you are implying that you have a gut that is pushing the abdominal section of the shoulder pad upward?

Actually...no...no gut.  I dropped 25 lbs after my surgery 👍😎 I'm in better shape than I was in college...cuz I don't party anymore 🤣  I don't know why it sits that way.  Maybe I'd get used to it, but then there's still the bicep guard issue and the big caps.  I tried the AS1 and it sat well and wasn't bulky...I was just hoping for a non-$200 option. 

8 minutes ago, Jbear said:

Actually...no...no gut.  I dropped 25 lbs after my surgery 👍😎 I'm in better shape than I was in college...cuz I don't party anymore 🤣  I don't know why it sits that way.  Maybe I'd get used to it, but then there's still the bicep guard issue and the big caps.  I tried the AS1 and it sat well and wasn't bulky...I was just hoping for a non-$200 option. 

Aren't all the Tacks the same basic fit and design?  If you liked the AS1, why not look at something 1 or 2 levels down?  Or do you need absolute bullet-proof protection?

• Like 1

The 9080 might be...the caps on the ones below that have a different design and sit higher.  These Reebok Hybrid Kinetic fit pads look like they have the same cap design as the Tacks.  For $30...worth a try.

One thing I might try (if none of this works out) is to grab a pair of jr. pads at Play it Again, cut the caps off and attach them to my cap-less Supreme S1s.

Problem with playing hockey for so many years...ya get mighty particular🤣

2 hours ago, Jbear said:

25 lbs. That's good.

Well...for the last five years before the hip replacement, I couldn't walk. That's a great way to get fat!  Actually, I couldn't do anything...stand, sleep...nothing. I just took pain meds to keep going but that only made it bearable. My wife finally made me see a surgeon (doctor-phobic). When he said that I'd be able to skate again...I never imagined that I'd get back to this level!  Anyway...it's a gift to be back. I'm skating 6 days a week between playing and practicing (I was anyway until the world went nutz).

Now...when I'm not at school...I just train and skate, so...yup...25lbs🏒🥅🇨🇦👍😎

Edited by Jbear

I’m a big frankenpad guy - top of the line chest and bicep piece with shoulder caps from a $30 entry level model. Most of the repalm/repair places can do this relatively easily. 

I agree with @psulion22 in that if I had to pick anything off the rack it would be the Vapor line. I had the “holy grail” CCM U+ CLs recently and felt like a linebacker in those shoulder caps. 

Edited by Cavs019
  • Like 1

I have exactly the same problem.  My solution - after 10 years of trying every pad on the market - was a frankenpad!  I took the silver Sher-Wood 9950s and had Farrell like pad cubes sewn onto the back. I think they were Farrell... maybe some padded pants and shorts and shirts, I don't actually remember..  I also attached a belly pad from some other pads I had because they ran a tad short.  The caps drop nice ands low and the Farrell padding does a nice job absorbing impact.  When these wear out I retire!

XRoU26O.jpg

OFn4tGN.jpg

u80t3px.jpg?1

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

I’m a big frankenpad guy - top of the line chest and bicep piece with shoulder caps from a $30 entry level model. Most of the repalm/repair places can do this relatively easily. 

I agree with @psulion22 in that if I had to pick anything off the rack it would be the Vapor line. I had the “holy grail” CCM U+ CLs recently and felt like a linebacker in those shoulder caps. 

I am a huge fan of frankenpads! 

I also have a pair of frankenpads, I took the body of a pair of Rbk 6K Pro and took all the arm and caps off. I then sewed on a pair of caps that came off a pair of CCM 1899 shoulder pads. The chest on the ccms had less protection than the sherwood pads which is crazy to think possible. I love my frankenpads now! 

P5y8Pkw.jpg

Edited by CRupp13
  • Like 4

I'll probably cut the bicep "protectors" off the 94 caps and put the S1's back on...they are very comfortable and actually offer protection!