Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
beerleaguecaptain

Single Favorite Piece of Equipment Ever

5 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Interesting.  How come?  It sounds like its more than just comfort?

Mark

I'll spare you the back story, next event. Something about that boot with a 254 edge holder w/LS5 just works for me. I stumbled across a second pair, same setup except a retail boot. They worked really well for me too. 

If I am honest, the overall fit of both pairs could be a little better. Makes wonder what custom 70k's would be like.

• Like 1

Going to add to my list...   a couple of years a go I moved to Step steel and on @JR Boucicaut 's advice moved to an FBV that was shallower then my ROH.  Then with the ProSharp  project moved to a Quad1 profile and went even shallower.  The new set up has really helped my skating and stability.  So while it's not an old piece of gear I wish I had back which was the point of the thread, it one of. - oof not THE best things gear wise I have ever done.

PS - the sit on a pair of JR Boucicaut customs too!  

Good question. Well, I go with two sticks: the original Easton Synergy OPS and the NikeBauer ONE95. Both those sticks just struck a cord with me. Definitely have more modern pieces of equipment that aren't sticks but we could be here all day haha.

Micron Mega Air-90. Fit my feet perfectly, perfect boot angle, no lace bite, no problems. Of course, they weighed a ton compared to current carbon fiber boot skates, and they had this white plastic clip attached to the inside area of the boot which I didn't know if it was a gimmick or actually helped to transfer power. Maybe real leather on the inside of skate boots are the solution for good fitting hockey skates. Circle back to the things that worked in the past.

For goaltending equipment, the best thing was my CCM Pro-pac goalie girdle. They were very flexible and fit great.  The girdle fit tightly with the belt and laces tied up. You didn't need suspenders, but they were optional if you attached them to the shell buttons. This was back in the day before anyone tucked their chest into their pants.

Edited by caveman27

I had the Micron Mega 10-90s and they had the white "Power Clips".  They were totally gimmicky and it was a real problem if they broke cause the eyelets were a part of the clip.  That said, I wore those things for almost 7 years (playing 3-4 times a week) before one of the clips broke and I had to trash them.  

They were indeed a fantastic skate.  Comfortable, durable, and looked good (though I wasn't a fan of the blue Tuuks, but they were all the rage then cause of Gretzky).  Think Bauer eventually bought them out?

CCM Vector 10. (Original not the catapult) Lecavalier 100 Flex. For some reason, I could do things with that stick that I havent been able to replicate. Maybe im just getting worse.

6 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

The Graf Supra 707 was my jam as a kid. 

10-2809.jpg

That was a sweet skate too.  Grafs were the bomb when I was growing up, but they were kinda hard to find unless you special ordered them where I grew up.

• Like 1

First and last pair of shoulders I have. Bauer Flak. I got them in 1989, when I first started skating in a rink. They're so comfortable that I can't imagine using anything different. My Mother in law is my personal equipment manager. She's sewed up holes and changed the straps multiple times. 

• Like 2

As much as people complain about the aesthetics of modern skates, the giant gold print on those 707s is worse than almost anything anyone is putting out now. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My underprotective - Jofa 3175 shinpads and 5044 elbows.  Elbows are 20 years old (have a backup pair) and I've had the shins for 16 (obviously older than that, but I have a new pair as a backup as well.)  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, start_today said:

As much as people complain about the aesthetics of modern skates, the giant gold print on those 707s is worse than almost anything anyone is putting out now. 

Not when back in the day you covered all the logos by mummifying your ankles with tape!!!

GettyImages-79069771.jpg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, start_today said:

Disagree. These are pretty ugly:

VTBzpUsqVzjlZxAKodYH1BCD9nr9dkIR1Ueq1lkT

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mojo122 said:

Other than the obnoxious bold "CCM" branding I think the skate is rather subdued.  

Meh. They make me sick. 

I am glad that the customs will allow for people to select a color for the skate. 

For me it was finding the right size skates. After taking a several year hiatus I got a pair of second hand skates from my cousin that I got me back into hockey and that I wore for years cause they didn’t hurt my feet, felt comfortable enough and I just didn’t know any better. Fast forward a few years and I went from wearing a Mission 9E skate to currently a Bauer Supreme size 6EE. Obviously a huge difference.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 11:13 AM, jjstringer said:

Ferland gloves for me growing up were the best! 

Ferland 3400 & 3300 were my favs. Especially the 3400 with the digi overlay on the palms.

• Like 1