Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
qmechanic

Blade not fitting into shaft

Since all the ice rinks are closed, I wanted to setup a stick with an ABS blade for roller hockey.

I have this standard blade

And this standard intermediate shaft

It seems like they should fit together fine, but the wood part of the blade that goes into the shaft is too big. Am I imagining this or is there some trick?

See photos on Imgur

Shave the blade. Also try heating up the shaft only so the blade hosel doesn't expand from the heat, and only the shaft. Just use enough heat to melt the glue on the hosel but don't heat it to the point that it may cause the wood to expand. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, qmechanic said:
Since all the ice rinks are closed, I wanted to setup a stick with an ABS blade for roller hockey.

I have this standard blade

And this standard intermediate shaft

It seems like they should fit together fine, but the wood part of the blade that goes into the shaft is too big. Am I imagining this or is there some trick?

See photos on Imgur

Senior blade is meant to go into a senior shaft.

Intermediate blade is meant to go into an intermediate shaft. 

The only company that made a true intermediate blade was Easton with the blue hosel Synthesis blade to be paired with their intermediate shaft. Otherwise, 99% of intermediate shafts took senior blades. 

• Like 2

Got a file? File the top of the hosel on the blade down so that it will slide into the shaft easier. Apply lots of heat to the shaft and just enough to heat the glue on the blade. If it still doesn't slide in you need to file down the hosel on the blade, not hard to do, just time consuming. You can file down the inside of the shaft but this weakens it to the point it may fail (depending on how much you file away), advantage of filing the shaft is you can then easily replace the blade.

• Like 1

Do you have fitment issues lengthwise?

IIRC I always noticed the warrior blade hosel was smaller going into a Bauer shaft.  This was for the tapered version, but I could fixed the voids by a layer of tape.  Looks like you have the opposite combination where the Bauer blade has a little bit extra material.  I bet that blade would fit into a Bauer shaft.

• Like 1

I felt like warrior always had the tightest shafts. I’d have to wipe a lot of glue off of hossels to make them fit. (RIP Original Dolomite shaft...a true legend)

Maaaaaaaaybe silly question, but are you putting it in the right end? I havent handled a warrior int shaft in a while. If you had it flipped and were putting it in the top, are the shaft dimensions smaller such that the top is essentially a tapered size? 

8 hours ago, start_today said:

I felt like warrior always had the tightest shafts. I’d have to wipe a lot of glue off of hossels to make them fit. (RIP Original Dolomite shaft...a true legend)

Maaaaaaaaybe silly question, but are you putting it in the right end? I havent handled a warrior int shaft in a while. If you had it flipped and were putting it in the top, are the shaft dimensions smaller such that the top is essentially a tapered size? 

Thanks for pointing that out. This particular Warrior shaft was listed as a standard shaft. It does seem slightly smaller on one end. I was trying to put it in the smaller end. The shaft doesn't really have any markings to show which end I should put the blade in.

Did flipping the end help? AK27s were standard shafts, so if one side is bigger, aim there. 

Yeah, too many shafts had symmetrical graphics like that. Easy to mix up the top and bottom. 

On 4/2/2020 at 2:37 PM, caveman27 said:

Senior blade is meant to go into a senior shaft.

Intermediate blade is meant to go into an intermediate shaft. 

Senior blades can fit intermediate shafts.  Just depends on the make/model.

As for OP, make sure you are heating it up enough.  Are you using a heat gun?

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 11:15 PM, mickz said:

Senior blades can fit intermediate shafts.  Just depends on the make/model.

As for OP, make sure you are heating it up enough.  Are you using a heat gun?

Yes, I am using a heat gun.