Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jbear

Favorite Mouth/Bite Guard

So...with all of this off-ice time on my hands, I am practicing a lot in the garage.  Got a reg. size goal, shooter-tutor, mats, tiles...yada yada.  Mostly working on stickhandling, but...have been shooting more.  I'm a D-man, and I am really trying to work on low and hard.  I college, I made "my living" on top-shelf boomers and wristers from the point.  Can hit those with my eyes closed...always been my strength.  Anyway...playing in a few leagues now.  Some are pretty high-level, so I can shoot "my style," but some are rec. and I surely don't want to hurt anyone, so...working low.  Long story short (too late...right?)...practicing slappers on concrete is waaaaay different than on ice.  The shock goes right up through my body to my teeth!  I am looking for a mouth/bite guard.  Normally, I'd just grab one a go.  Ain't nothin' normal about our current situation, so...since we all have time...tell me about your favorite mouth/bite guard.  If you feel like it.

Hope everyone is staying sane!  I cannot WAIT...t' SKATE!

I’ve heard good things about the SISU, but beyond that I’ve always found that 99% of boil-and-bite guards tend to be more annoying than anything and you end up just chewing on it.  You’re better off going with a custom one, which you can get online starting around $50.  They send you a mold kit, you take the mold yourself and then send it back to them to make the guard.  They get way more expensive if you have a dentist taking the mold but I’ve found the at-home molds to work very well and dentists send them out to the same factories to get molded as the online guys.  Just google “custom mouthguard” and you’ll turn up a bunch of different companies and options.  

6 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

SISU, by far. Only mouth guard I can tolerate wearing.

I wear a cage and still have the SIDU in cause they are really comfortable.  I do find they shrink like 1 mm when they cool down after molding,  so it can make them really tight but...  Best mouth guard I can find that I will actually use.

1 hour ago, Beflar said:

I wear a cage and still have the SIDU in cause they are really comfortable.  I do find they shrink like 1 mm when they cool down after molding,  so it can make them really tight but...  Best mouth guard I can find that I will actually use.

It’s a good thing when you realize half way through taking your gear off after the game that you still have your mouth guard in! Definitely says something about the comfort.

I agree it often feels tight when you put it in after it’s cooled down, but it seems to get better once it’s been warmed up in your mouth for a bit. 

• Like 1

I have one that my orthodontist made for me. It's very similar to a Sisu as its very thin and doesn't get in the way of breathing. I wear a full mask so I don't really need to worry too much about impact protection or I would maybe use something a little more robust if I thought there was a chance I could take a puck to the mouth. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW