Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Beflar

Basic question: Do you have sharpen skates more often if they have a more shallow hollow?

Do you have sharpen skates more often if they have a more shallow hollow?  I went from a 5/8 to a more shallow 3/4 when I changed my profile to a Quad 0.5, normally I can go a long time between sharpens but now it seems I need to sharpen more often...   I am going to a different guy to sharpen skates,  that might be a reason also.

For me, it's been the opposite. The more shallow I went, the less often I would need to sharpen my skates, because it's harder to ding them up. For reference I went from 5/8 to 3/4 to 13/16 and am on a 13/26 radius. I can go for a month or two without sharpening, and I was on the ice for 3-4 times a week.

Have you considered that maybe the shallower hollow isn't right for you?

Edited by puckpilot
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

The shallower the hollow the less you need to have them sharpened as the steel will hold its edge longer as there is more material. 

What did you change your profile from? 

I changed from a 11' profile to the Quad 0.5. 

Good to know about lasting longer... 

2 hours ago, puckpilot said:

For me, it's been the opposite. The more shallow I went, the less often I would need to sharpen my skates, because it's harder to ding them up. For reference I went from 5/8 to 3/4 to 13/16 and am on a 13/26 radius. I can go for a month or two without sharpening, and I was on the ice for 3-4 times a week.

Have you considered that maybe the shallower hollow isn't right for you?

I do LOVE the glide I get from the 3/4,  for three games I loved it.  Then one game was more bumpy/physical than normal and I was getting knocked down more than normal...  So I tried the 11/16 and am on the fence with them cause I loved the glide from the 3/4 so much...

Edited by Beflar

37 minutes ago, Beflar said:

I changed from a 11' profile to the Quad 0.5. 

Good to know about lasting longer... 

I do LOVE the glide I get from the 3/4,  for three games I loved it.  Then one game was more bumpy/physical than normal and I was getting knocked down more than normal...  So I tried the 11/16 and am on the fence with them cause I loved the glide from the 3/4 so much...

If you like the glide, have you considered playing around more with your profile?  If you want more bite and want to keep the glide, get a flatter profile. You may loose a bit of agility, but that might not affect you much if at all in the long run. But at the end of the day there’s no free lunch. It’s about what you want to sacrifice to get a gain.  

For me, I played around with profile, hollow, and pitch until I got dialled in on  what I wanted. 

• Like 1

Howdy,

53 minutes ago, Beflar said:

Have you played with any flat bottom stuff?  To me, it sounds like it might work for you.  Like the literal marketing pitch is that you get the glide from a shallower hollow and the bite from a deeper one.

I do the Sparx stuff and I'd say to give a 5/8 Fire a go if that's available to you.  Someone else might be able to recommend an FBV hollow to try.

Mark
(who, it should be said, is not much of a hockey player.  🙂  So take what I'm saying with lots of salt)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

A lot of times in the locker room I'll hear guys say, "I like mine really dull but I get a 1/2" so they last all season". It's done as a matter of convenience, but if you could get them sharpened before every skate, what hollow would you get? 

I started doing my own skates at home last Fall, and as a result, I was able to drop my preferred ROH by several steps.

With that in mind, I really miss skating 😞 

I sharpen my skates roughly every 5 hours of ice time since I have access to a sharpening machine. I typically skate on 3/4" with a fairly long profile but in the summer sometimes I tend to change to 7/8" or even 1" if the ice is super soft. In Arizona some rinks ice becomes incredibly soft so anything lower than 3/4" just sinks into the ice. 

I get mine sharpened less I recently switched to 3/4” FBV but I used to use 1” ROH and I used to go month sometimes two playing 3 games a week before sharpening them

12 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

A lot of times in the locker room I'll hear guys say, "I like mine really dull but I get a 1/2" so they last all season". It's done as a matter of convenience, but if you could get them sharpened before every skate, what hollow would you get? 

I started doing my own skates at home last Fall, and as a result, I was able to drop my preferred ROH by several steps.

With that in mind, I really miss skating 😞 

The amount of terrible advice I've heard in locker rooms is absurd.  Once had a guy hone the sides of his skates for 20 minutes thinking that would sharpen his skates.  I would've believed him if he was rubbing the stone on the bottom of the runners and moving his hands at 3000+rpm.

8 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I sharpen my skates roughly every 5 hours of ice time since I have access to a sharpening machine. I typically skate on 3/4" with a fairly long profile but in the summer sometimes I tend to change to 7/8" or even 1" if the ice is super soft. In Arizona some rinks ice becomes incredibly soft so anything lower than 3/4" just sinks into the ice. 

Funny you should mention this but I wonder if the ice I was playing on was harder than normal.  Maybe that was what I was noticing...

1 hour ago, Beflar said:

Funny you should mention this but I wonder if the ice I was playing on was harder than normal.  Maybe that was what I was noticing...

Just curious, which rinks are you comparing?

On 4/9/2020 at 9:44 PM, Beflar said:

Do you have sharpen skates more often if they have a more shallow hollow?  I went from a 5/8 to a more shallow 3/4 when I changed my profile to a Quad 0.5, normally I can go a long time between sharpens but now it seems I need to sharpen more often...   I am going to a different guy to sharpen skates,  that might be a reason also.

I play about one game a week in a men's league. Maybe every six to seven games, I'll sharpen it. 1/2" ROH. But, sooner if an edge gets banged up in a game.

On 4/9/2020 at 9:44 PM, Beflar said:

It's the new sharpener.  His pressure isn't as good or consistent as the old one. Leave the profile ask the old sharpening guy to do them at 3/4 and go from there. 

• Like 1