Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jbear

Girdle Questions?

I'm currently using CCM HP45 (large) and Warrior Covert QRL (medium).  Really like both, but thinking about trying a girdle/shell...I like trying things.

Here are my questions...

1-Which girdle has the beefiest hip protection?

2-Tail protection? 

3-What size would you recommend? I'm 5'9"/165/33w/40"chest. 

Thanks all! 

From my limited experience, the most protective girdle I've had is the Super Tacks girdle.  It has great tailbone and hip coverage as well as kidney and spine protection plus it's pretty light and mobile.  Previously I've used the 9K girdle which I loved but the Tacks offers better protection, before that I had a Bauer One.8 which I couldn't stand... this one was more of a wrap than a girdle and it never felt like it was on right, also the protection in this model was lighter weight and limited esp in the tail area.  Prior to that I had an old Easton Synergy one from the early 00's which wasn't bad but didn't have as much coverage as the Tacks, and before that I had an old Cooper one in the 90's which didn't do a whole lot lol.

As for sizing, most girdles I'd say try a medium but if you're interested in the Tacks I would go for a large, they run VERY small for some odd reason.  They also have a Tacks model one step down that offers very similar protection, I think there might be a LTR of that one in the reviews section, I remember reading about it when I was considering the Super Tacks.

Awesome...thank you!

It's tough to find consistency in online reviews,  plus wading through the infinitely unhelpful "reviews" that state..."I got this for my 1X year old and he/she says it's awesome." can be a chore😣🤣

I did see praise for that 9k, but if the SuperTacks are more protective...

I found the same sizing phenomenon with CCM.  Originally I got the HP45 in a medium based on the Warrior, which I was already wearing (actually had to return a large QRL as it was falling-down big).  Could barely get the medium CCM over my hips.  Weird. Anyway...keep those insights coming folks...yer awesome! 

Edited by Jbear

Howdy,

I have a Tacks 7092.  I really like the hip and tailbone protection.  Its maybe a small step down from the Easton Pro 15 pants (total tanks!) I was wearing prior, but its also literally half the weight.  Both options were selected with hip and tailbone protection in mind.

I'm 5'10", 190 lbs (now.  ugh), 34" waist in jeans.  I use a Medium.  I can't imagine you'd want a large given what you've said, though I do think I'm on the upper end of the Medium range.

7092 is also a true wrap style girdle vs. the Super Tacks which you'd have to modify to do that.  I like that a lot better in terms of putting on gear.  I don't leave the shell attached to the girdle.

Mark

Thanks Mark...with regard to size...I wear a medium Warrior QRL Pro but a large CCM HP45.  I am told that the Super Tacks girdle also fits quite small.  I found one for about $75 (it's a large), so I am trying it.  

• Like 1

Howdy,

I'll be interested to hear what you think about the fit.  I do think there's a difference in fit expectations for a girdle vs. regular pants.  I want the girdle basically skin tight, with no gaps.  The wrap style probably helps with that as you don't have to pull it up over anything.  For me, the girdle moves with me, with basically no slipping, while regular hockey pants had a LOT more "me moving inside the pants".

It may also be that the sizing is different between the Super Tacks and the 7092.  I've never tried on a Super Tacks girdle.

Mark

I will definitely let you know how it works out.  As I mentioned...I went through this sizing thing before...the Warrior large-waaaay to big...medium is just right.  CCM the medium was waaaay too small- but the large...perfect.  I still need suspenders with both...I think that's because of my base layer material...it's slick and the pants slide even when they feel perfectly fitted, but that...is another issue 🙂  I have no idea about Bauer, True, or any other brands.  It'd be nice if they were uniform, but...first world problem fir shur.

Edited by Jbear

16 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I'll be interested to hear what you think about the fit.  I do think there's a difference in fit expectations for a girdle vs. regular pants.  I want the girdle basically skin tight, with no gaps.  The wrap style probably helps with that as you don't have to pull it up over anything.  For me, the girdle moves with me, with basically no slipping, while regular hockey pants had a LOT more "me moving inside the pants".

It may also be that the sizing is different between the Super Tacks and the 7092.  I've never tried on a Super Tacks girdle.

Mark

With the Super Tacks the waist is just smaller than a usual medium but the issue I notice most with the sizing is they feel shorter (I have the leg pads adjusted down quite a ways) and also the thigh pads seem as if they're made for toothpick legs.  I'm pretty skinny, no one has ever accused me of having big legs, quite the opposite actually, and the thigh straps are at their loosest for me to use them. My old 9K's had the straps all the way over and wouldn't even be close to stretching, but the Tacks straps barely reach and are tight at that point, it's the oddest thing.  For the record, I am 5'9" and about 165-170 with about a 32" waist, medium works for me but if I had muscular legs it probably wouldn't work.

OP: if you look on s2k there was someone selling a pair of 7092's in medium for really cheap, worth a look.

I'm about the same size as you, but I have pretty big legs. Sounds like large is going to work for me. I found a pair of Super Tacks on EB for $75...looking forward to trying them out! 

• Like 1

Update...

Girdle came today...haven't tried it on yet, but...gotta say...it doesn't seem to be as well padded as either of my pants (HP45 or QRL).  I haven't done much but give them the once over.  If the shells have some additional padding...that would make a difference, but just the girdle...I'm not overly impressed (especially the side slashguards).  Gonna give it a fair shake though...no rush to judgement.  The 9K is not as protective?????

If I am missing something...let me know.

Okay...Super Tacks girdle...size large...tried them on...  here are my observations...point to point:
Fit:  They fit my torso perfectly and a medium would have been way to small for me with my 33-34w and 40-41 chest.  Good call.  The legs fit me well also...I have pretty big legs, so I definitely see how someone with smaller pins might not have luck.  Length...super adjustable so...no issues with my 5'9"-ness.

Staying in Place: Well, I tried them with my base layer.  They seemed to stay put as I moved around and stretched and checked my wife into the kitchen doorway (took a pretty good elbow to the mush on that play).  We shall see when I actually get back to it if they slide down.  Not sure what I'll do about it if they do cuz...no suspender attachments.

Protection:  Thighs are solid...so are the hips (double hip replacement so...that helps me).  Tailbone...not bad...could be a bit beefier there, but I'll know when I get knocked on my duff.  Spine (upper)  seems pretty good.  It has D30 there (I don't know where else that stuff might be...anyone?), which is nice. Kidneys also seem well-protected.  Side slashguard and back of the legs...not much going on there.  I've had some pants that were amazing (Cooper Pro circa 1975...still have 'em)...these pale in comparison from that standpoint.  Of course...these are much lighter and the modern gear dries by the next day, so...there's a trade off. 

Mobility: I've never actually felt restricted by my gear with a few exceptions.  Haven't had a pair of pants that held me back and these newer ones that I'm currently using...even less so.  That being said, these definitely feel less "present" in the limited context in which I've worn them.  No shell yet, but I can't imagine those would make a difference in that regard.  So, I am expecting to be even more mobile in these...but...gotta wait to know for sure.  

I tried a couple of Warrior pant shells over it (all I have)...nope...waaaaay too big.  I have a pair of L PP90's coming soon...they are for shells, so...fingers crossed.  Anyone know of girdle shells that have padding?  I'd be into trying those.

Overall: I won't know for sure until I get hit, take shots, get knocked down, but...looks promising.  I think I like them and I think they will be okay.  Some of the protection may be better than I anticipate, as a lot of the newer materials feel light and unsubstantial, but actually do a good job.  If that's not the case...I may take them to a shoemaker (when the world resumes) and see if I can get some plastic inserts sewn strategically for a little extra help.  

If there's something specific you want to know...holla.  Thanks for all the help in the pre-purchase phase!  Now...I wonder how the 2sPro stacks up😉

Edited by Jbear

16 hours ago, Jbear said:

Protection:  Thighs are solid...so are the hips (double hip replacement so...that helps me). 

I'm in the same boat, had my hips done 2011, bilat Birminghams. I run the 9k and have yet to find something good enough to take me away from it even though it is heavier than recent models. For added hip protection I wear nfl padded shorts underneath, there is a large range off Amazon, you can literally pick how much extra protection you need eg like these which I do admit may be way over the top for what you want but when combined with a good girdle / pant offer nearly bullet proof hip protection https://www.amazon.com/Tortoise-Pads-Impact-Protection-Density/dp/B07F5T389W/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=nfl+padded+shorts&qid=1586863954&sr=8-1

18 hours ago, Jbear said:

Okay...Super Tacks girdle...size large...tried them on...  here are my observations...point to point:
Fit:  They fit my torso perfectly and a medium would have been way to small for me with my 33-34w and 40-41 chest.  Good call.  The legs fit me well also...I have pretty big legs, so I definitely see how someone with smaller pins might not have luck.  Length...super adjustable so...no issues with my 5'9"-ness.

Staying in Place: Well, I tried them with my base layer.  They seemed to stay put as I moved around and stretched and checked my wife into the kitchen doorway (took a pretty good elbow to the mush on that play).  We shall see when I actually get back to it if they slide down.  Not sure what I'll do about it if they do cuz...no suspender attachments.

Protection:  Thighs are solid...so are the hips (double hip replacement so...that helps me).  Tailbone...not bad...could be a bit beefier there, but I'll know when I get knocked on my duff.  Spine (upper)  seems pretty good.  It has D30 there (I don't know where else that stuff might be...anyone?), which is nice. Kidneys also seem well-protected.  Side slashguard and back of the legs...not much going on there.  I've had some pants that were amazing (Cooper Pro circa 1975...still have 'em)...these pale in comparison from that standpoint.  Of course...these are much lighter and the modern gear dries by the next day, so...there's a trade off. 

Mobility: I've never actually felt restricted by my gear with a few exceptions.  Haven't had a pair of pants that held me back and these newer ones that I'm currently using...even less so.  That being said, these definitely feel less "present" in the limited context in which I've worn them.  No shell yet, but I can't imagine those would make a difference in that regard.  So, I am expecting to be even more mobile in these...but...gotta wait to know for sure.  

I tried a couple of Warrior pant shells over it (all I have)...nope...waaaaay too big.  I have a pair of L PP10's coming soon...they are for shells, so...fingers crossed.  Anyone know of girdle shells that have padding?  I'd be into trying those.

Overall: I won't know for sure until I get hit, take shots, get knocked down, but...looks promising.  I think I like them and I think they will be okay.  Some of the protection may be better than I anticipate, as a lot of the newer materials feel light and unsubstantial, but actually do a good job.  If that's not the case...I may take them to a shoemaker (when the world resumes) and see if I can get some plastic inserts sewn strategically for a little extra help.  

If there's something specific you want to know...holla.  Thanks for all the help in the pre-purchase phase!  Now...I wonder how the 2sPro stacks up😉

The SuperTacks shell has a protective element to it around the kidney area. It also has a zipper to extend it's length. 

Bauer shells work great too but no extra protection and other than the zippers on the inside thigh no adjustments.

colins

2 hours ago, Vet88 said:

I'm in the same boat, had my hips done 2011, bilat Birminghams. I run the 9k and have yet to find something good enough to take me away from it even though it is heavier than recent models. For added hip protection I wear nfl padded shorts underneath, there is a large range off Amazon, you can literally pick how much extra protection you need eg like these which I do admit may be way over the top for what you want but when combined with a good girdle / pant offer nearly bullet proof hip protection https://www.amazon.com/Tortoise-Pads-Impact-Protection-Density/dp/B07F5T389W/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=nfl+padded+shorts&qid=1586863954&sr=8-1

That's cool...I've gotten rocked with regular pants and I do alright...wouldn't mind some extra beef though.  I caught and edge in a public session last summer when I first started skating again...just wind pants.  I thought that was the end...felt like my a** was split open with a chisel😫.  I was sore...but A-OK...that was scary...first time falling.  Made me realize I wasn't gonna break if I fell😎.

The PP10 shell is a pant shell so that might be too big.  Look for PP90 or PP9K (or PPTK), those are the CCM girdle shells, Bauer and Warrior also make similar versions but I'm pretty sure the CCM's are the only ones with the added kidney protection (a thin piece of plastic and thin padding on each side).  I've only had a pro stock Super Tacks shell and it didn't offer any additional padding that I saw unless they mean the little soft padding around the belt.  Warrior has some nice pro stocks shells that can be found on Hockey Monkey, or just browse classifieds/sidelineswap/ebay for various pro stock shells (warning, it can be addicting lol).

So the PP90 is really nice but large is too big.  Sending it back for a medium.  Is it so hard to be consistent CCM?  Large S-Tacks girdle needs a medium PP90 shell, but you know it would take a large S-Tacks shell.  PITA🤣

Hopefully...sorted after this.