Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
bogeywhite

Floor paint for shooting pucks?

I'm looking for something to paint onto my concrete garage floor to make it smoother and less abrasive on the stick blade while shooting pucks. Just basic concrete flooring right now, so pretty smooth but still rough enough to start eating into carbon fiber after a couple hundred shots. 

Anyone have suggestions? Thanks.

Shooting pad/tiles?  Either purpose-built or DIY?  I've seen folks use plexiglass or melamine boards that are relatively cheap compared to the poly boards/tiles sold specifically for hockey. 

I have a hockey wrap around actually, unfortunately I go back and fourth between a pm9 curve and a pro stock stick with a square toe and it just doesn't really fit or feel right on either.

I'm not crazy about the tiles or a shooting pad because they're much more expensive than a can of paint, and I don't want to have to move them anytime I want to do something other than shoot pucks. 

Well, you can get some basic tiles or a pad for a reasonable price.  And depending on the condition of your garage floor, you may have a lot of prep work to do and you cant just put any paint down, so cost may be a wash.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bogeywhite said:

I'm looking for something to paint onto my concrete garage floor to make it smoother and less abrasive on the stick blade while shooting pucks. Just basic concrete flooring right now, so pretty smooth but still rough enough to start eating into carbon fiber after a couple hundred shots. 

Maybe plywood. 

8 hours ago, bogeywhite said:

I have a hockey wrap around actually, unfortunately I go back and fourth between a pm9 curve and a pro stock stick with a square toe and it just doesn't really fit or feel right on either.

I'm not crazy about the tiles or a shooting pad because they're much more expensive than a can of paint, and I don't want to have to move them anytime I want to do something other than shoot pucks. 

Quality floor paint isn't cheap and you'll have to buy at least a gallon.  A coat of paint won't do anything to protect your stick blade. 

Howdy,

I wouldn't expect good results with paint.

Many (most?) of the floor tiles can be driven on, etc. etc.  Not sure what else you want to do there, but I'd have said that the floor tiles would hold up better than paint would to many / most "other activities".

As a possible alternative....  Pucks won't slide that great on it, but it might protect your stick blade some... How about typical vinyl flooring / linoleum?  You can get it pretty cheap (like $1/ft^2 or less).  I don't think it would hold up anything like as well as a real hockey tile, but it seems like it'd be a lot better than paint...

Mark

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bogeywhite said:

You can put down an epoxy coating which will help a little but the best option would be to make or buy a shooting pad. I have done both, buying tiles and also making my own shooting pad. As long as you select the proper material there is no need to spend the money on buying one. 

Something like this would work nicely and is very cheap:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EUCATILE-32-sq-ft-96-in-x-48-in-Hardboard-Thrifty-White-Tile-Board-HDDPTW48/205995949?keyword=thrifty+white+board

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bogeywhite said:

What size space are you looking to cover?  What other activities do you use this space for?  Maybe we can help suggest some things that are more DIY.

Unfortunately a $20 can of paint from Home Depot isn't going to get you the results you are after.  Epoxy or something similar might, but will require significant prep work and likely won't save you much compared to a plastic purpose-built product.  Either way you are probably looking at a few hundred dollar investment if you are looking to cover a decent sized space.

If the Stick Wrap Around is more your speed, I've seen folks do something similar using thin sheet metal.  This would allow you to customize the fit to the curve of each stick.  Some Tin Snips, a sheet of metal and some hockey tape would be a small investment to protect your expensive sticks.   

Paint wont work unless you are willing to put dozens of layers down and even then it won't last long because paint is not designed to be abrasively hard wearing (stick scraping over the top of it) unless you are getting a 2 pack compound with fillers added to it and even then it is poor wearing. 

Our inline rink was a smooth concrete floor and we tried many options for a covering, including paints (we excluded tiles etc because we were after a smooth finish for roller figure, speed etc). The best we found is a urethane designed for concrete floors, ours was an industrial product but something like this should do https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KBODXWM?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Get your prep right, lay down the amount you want, not to thick or else it bubbles, repeat 2 or 3 times and you will have the perfect base for a shooting pad. Add pledge on it to make it slick when needed or use inline pucks. Our rink surface has been down now for nearly 10 years and is still going strong.

The urathane sounds like a good approach, I know there is some YouTube hockey training guys who seem to have a facility with a either polished or urathaned floor.

By prep though, same for urathane as for epoxy, you are going to need to clean it, degrease it, and apply an acid wash.  Not overly complicated but still a decent project depending on how old the floor is and what kind of shape it's in.

A whole bunch of people have recommended melamine that’s coated with Pledge. You can buy an 4’ x 8’ piece from Home Depot for $30 and a can of pledge for $5.

If you’re like me and don’t  know what melamine is, it’s essentially the stuff that particleboard shelves are made of. But, pucks slide decent on the coating, and it’s 3/4” thick, so it feels sturdy (if not heavy). 

I bought a piece of clear acrylic that is used to cover windows. Pucks slide ok, but I wish it was bigger. I’m gonna pick up some melamine tomorrow. It was like $20 for a 2’ x 2’ piece.

Here’s a thread where people discuss options, and if you google things like “diy hockey shooting” you can find other options. 

Realize, if you just want to shoot pucks, it doesn't have to be perfect, just slippery enough.  Johnson floor wax or pledge over melamine or laminate is good enough.  I think if you want to do a lot of stickhandling with a puck then the surface needs to be a little more slippery.

i bought a 4'x8' sheet of 1/8" mdf thats typically used for temporary floor protection so the one side is smooth and the other is rough to stick to the floor. costs $8 at home depot and works well enough for what i need it for

23 hours ago, caveman27 said:

Here's a click-together tile system that isn't synthetic ice. Seems like it provides what you want without having to paint your garage floor.

https://www.purehockey.com/product/hockeyshot-dryland-tiles-allstar-10-pack/itm/33814-2/

Similar to what I have (I have the older style tiles that don't puzzle piece together), works for me and my 9 y.o.  You can find the old style ones much cheaper, about $8 a 18 x 18 tile.  I highly doubt the new versions are significantly better.  Our set-up is 12 feet wide (8 tiles) by 24 (16 tiles) and sits in our driveway.  Son uses it all the time for stickhandling, shooting, battle drills, etc.