Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PetterErlandsson

Ask me anything about the Marsblade R1

3 minutes ago, Sprungdownunder said:

Very similar with the grip you get but I’d say slightly better.

i would also say that the R1’s perform better then sprungs, you get the best of both worlds, a rigid frame Hilo with a rocker.

The sprungs with all 80’s feel to tall & all 76 feel slower then the current trend of Hilo.

Interesting. I find the 80s sprungs to be fine in height. Pleasantly surprised to hear that the grip is on par, I was expecting it to be less.  Turning, cutting, transitions stopping, how are they with those? How's the adjustment period? I had no adjustment at all to the sprungs, but these seem like there might be a change. Looking forward to mounting mine asap

Edited by Miller55

2 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Interesting. I find the 80s sprungs to be fine in height. Pleasantly surprised to hear that the grip is on par, I was expecting it to be less.  Turning, cutting, transitions stopping, how are they with those? How's the adjustment period? I had no adjustment at all to the sprungs, but these seem like there might be a change. Looking forward to mounting mine asap

I found a lost my agility with all 80’s on sprungs & never felt comfortable so I ran all 76 & felt perfect.

I have not tested the R1’s in a rink but in my yard on rather smooth concrete.

i like alot of rocker so I use the insert they come pre installed with, turning  & transition I found to be exceptional I havn’t really done to much cutting or hard stopping but in the times I have had them on for a 1/2hr  sess each the thing that most stood out to me was the turning grip I could get out of them.

No doubt once the bushing breaks in there will be even smoother rocking.

1 minute ago, Sprungdownunder said:

I found a lost my agility with all 80’s on sprungs & never felt comfortable so I ran all 76 & felt perfect.

i like alot of rocker so I use the insert they come pre installed with, turning  & transition I found to be exceptional I havn’t really done to much cutting or hard stopping but in the times I have had them on for a 1/2hr  sess each the thing that most stood out to me was the turning grip I could get out of them.

No doubt once the bushing breaks in there will be even smoother rocking & slight performance improvement.

i really didn’t feel any significant adjustment but adapted very quick.

1 hour ago, Sprungdownunder said:

No doubt once the bushing breaks in there will be even smoother rocking.

Interesting. I came from 72/80 Hi-Lo setup which I retained for a long time since the change to 76/80, and I found the sprungs much more maneuverable with 80s.

I'm excited to hear this as I still haven't gotten time to choose boots to mount them on, but I'm glad to hear the performance is there.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 5:26 AM, Sprungdownunder said:

Simply put the 01 feels better to skate around & train with in the yard or on the street & has a more movement.

There is more movement in the O1 then in the R1 with the most rocker insert.

I guess that’s the whole point of the R1, but I was hoping they would feel similar to the O1 so I could finally get down to a single pair of skates! 

Potential upside is if Marsblade allows people to 3D print inserts (or simple creates more offerings) it seems like it would be possible to create one with even more movement than what’s currently offered.

My R1’s appear to have been stuck in German customs en route to the US since last week so I’ll be waiting a little longer to get them mounted and give them a roll 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Westside said:

My R1’s appear to have been stuck in German customs en route to the US since last week so I’ll be waiting a little longer to get them mounted and give them a roll 

We have a pair of R1s (medium) also held up in Germany. Our large set was delivered about two weeks ago. Waiting to mount both at the same time.

Ah, I should have looked at this thread as well for opinions. Glad to see I’m not alone in having an easy transition with not as dramatic results as I thought I would see. Good point in noting that the bushing or chassis may break in and allow for more travel. 

I would be curious, as well, to see if a newer insert with more travel could be made. Would it make sense to have an H5 T5 ?

8 hours ago, JSchultz said:

Ah, I should have looked at this thread as well for opinions. Glad to see I’m not alone in having an easy transition with not as dramatic results as I thought I would see. Good point in noting that the bushing or chassis may break in and allow for more travel. 

I would be curious, as well, to see if a newer insert with more travel could be made. Would it make sense to have an H5 T5 ?

The break  in of the bush won’t allow for more travel it will just flex better.

The inserts is what would give it more travel & I think they might be limited as to how much rocker they can get out of a insert without modifying the chassis as they are already thin?

Edited by Sprungdownunder

On 9/3/2020 at 2:49 AM, Sprungdownunder said:

@PetterErlandsson

Any chance that we can get a insert with a little more heel rocker maybe a H4?

We definitely have plans to offer a bigger variation of settings. And which settings we choose to go ahead with is determined by what you, the players, demand. What I can add from a product development perspective is that the scale of different settings is not linear. The difference between 4 and 5 is quite large, while the difference between for example 14 and 15 is significantly smaller, So inbetween 4 and 5 it is a quite wide range of different skate feels. See image example below. Just to give you a better feeling of the setting numbers 🙂 0fpsNS7.jpeg

Edited by PetterErlandsson
  • Like 2

So, has anyone skated in the R1's?

I play competitive roller and am around the game a good bit, I don't really see much, if any, players wearing Marsblade. Most of the high end roller guys opt for flagship Misison or Bauer skates like FZ-0/2XR Pros.

I always though of Marsblade as something geared for ice hockey players in the offseason or for training off ice. But it seems like they are now selling them as a game changing, high end roller skate. Haven't seen that bear out much at all yet.

The original O1 chassis was absolutely made for ice hockey players training in the off season. I've seen a few players use that in rec leagues, but I've never seen it used at high level tournaments. The R1 is a new chassis that just launched last summer and it is designed to improve inline hockey performance. I haven't used it yet and haven't seen it used at high levels in person (all roller hockey in my region has been shuttered since last March), but in the promo videos they do have high level players like John Schiavo (Team USA), Jordan Mula and Nick DellaMorte (New York Roadrunners), Jake Coughler (Team Canada) and Fabian Morschler (Team Germany) using them. 

Having officiated some high level inline tournaments that have come to the Toronto area in the past, I agree that the Flagship Mission and Bauer skates with the HI-LO chassis is the most common setup. I've seen a few pairs of Sprungs and notice those because it's what I use myself, but they're a rarity. I think most of the high level roller guys grew up playing with the HI-LO and it's what they're used to; so they stick with it. Marsblade seems to spend more on Marketing than Sprung ever did and already has a few high level players using the product; so perhaps they'll make better inroads than Sprung did.

1 hour ago, wickedslappah said:

So, has anyone skated in the R1's?

I play competitive roller and am around the game a good bit, I don't really see much, if any, players wearing Marsblade. Most of the high end roller guys opt for flagship Misison or Bauer skates like FZ-0/2XR Pros.

I always though of Marsblade as something geared for ice hockey players in the offseason or for training off ice. But it seems like they are now selling them as a game changing, high end roller skate. Haven't seen that bear out much at all yet.

On our Roller hockey Instagram @marsblade_rollerhockey we have posted several quotes and reviews from world class players about the R1 chassis. Obviously I am not the most objective person to answer this question, but we have now specifically sent chassis to at least 30 of the best players in the world and more or less everyone has changed to R1 with overwhelming feedback. In addition to the above mentioned players, it includes top national team players from around the world like Martin Fiala Czech Republic, Travis Noe and PJ Kavaya USA, Karl Gabillet France, Marcus Fajardo Spain, Juan Pablo Triviño Colombia, Luiz Koenen Brazil, Martin Uhnak Slovakia and many moore 👑

• Like 2

I saw pj kavaya the last time he was in the states and I don't recall him on the R1s. Maybe in Europe he's on them...?

Anyway, I've definitely seen a few pairs in the southwestern tourneys, but not anywhere near as many as kryptoniums. I have a teammate on R1s and he likes them, but last week he cut hard and a huge chunk of the upper plastic piece cracked off. He was able to post the rest of the game and they're under warrantee still, but it's not fun to see, and who knows if that could have broken in a different spot and taken him down hard. I recall that with sprungs Kieth says to make sure to hydrate the plastic so that it stays strong. I wonder if the same might apply for R1s. We're on the desert in Phoenix AZ, so I try to take care of the sprungs. Not sure about the Marsblade plastic polymer, maybe it dries out and becomes more brittle

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Hi guys, 

Yes Bauer and Mission skates/chassis are definitely more common than our R1 chassis right now. But keep in mind that we're introducing a new technology to a conservative market and it's takes time to break through. Bauer / Mission and other roller hockey brands have been out on the market for many many years and we launched our chassis less than one year ago. You will start seeing more and more R1s going forward and in a few years everyone will be using Flow Motion Technology 🙂

As far as durability, we've just recently changed the material in the plastic and are confident we have solved any issues with them breaking. 

//Per, Inventor

• Like 4

Hi Per/Petter, I'm not a hockey player, just ordinary inline skater and I have a question. I understand how your chassis leads to more ice blade-like body movement, but cannot understand how it improves maneuverability. It depends mostly on wheel base and with all 4 wheels in contact with ground, wheelbase is the same as with normal chassis. Also can you explain how your product compares to banana rocker, which shorten the wheelbase and makes the profile of the wheels similar to ice blade, improving the ease of pivoting?
Thanks!

Hi @ivani, When you're turning the weight on the wheel base shifts back and puts more pressure on the back wheels than the front wheels. Since the wheels are soft the rear wheel can even be pressed down enough so the front wheel can even lift off the ground allowing you to turn. The rocker makes it easier and more natural to shift the weight along the length of the foot and easier to put more heel pressure for easier turns. When you say banana rocker, what do you mean? //Per

1 hour ago, Marsblade said:

Hi @ivani, When you're turning the weight on the wheel base shifts back and puts more pressure on the back wheels than the front wheels. Since the wheels are soft the rear wheel can even be pressed down enough so the front wheel can even lift off the ground allowing you to turn. The rocker makes it easier and more natural to shift the weight along the length of the foot and easier to put more heel pressure for easier turns. When you say banana rocker, what do you mean? //Per

Banana rocker is a term used in inline skating. It is when 1st and 4th wheels are higher than 2nd and 3th. This can be done either with smaller wheels or a prerockered frame. For example 76-80-80-76 or 72-76-76-72 or frame with 1st and 4th axles 2mm higher than 2nd and 3th. This setup is standard in slalom skating, where very tight curving radius is needed. With it only 2 wheels are in contact with ground, which shorten the wheelbase from 243mm to 81mm (in case of 80mm wheels). It mimics the rocker of an ice blade, just with a bigger radius. It is not so fluid as on ice blade, but still, it provides much better pivoting abilities than 4 wheels in contact with ground, as there are actual additional pivoting points on second and third wheels.

Edited by ivani

@ivani Ok, that's what I thought. Although you get better maneuverability than with a straight setup, the downside of rockering the wheels with smaller front and rear wheels is of course that you get less stability and grip to the surface. It also gets a bit "choppy" since the rocker is more "on and off" between the different positions. With our Flow Motion Technology you get a much smoother rocker movement and weight transfer for better feel, power transfer and roll on the wheels. If you use our Standard (straight) wheel setup and want more maneuverability we suggest our Advanced setup with a smaller front wheel in addition to our technology. You could of course also put a smaller rear wheel also (as in the banana setup) but my personal opinion is that you get too much movement and lack of stability. //Per

• Like 1

I was an early bird on the first batch of the full R1 skates last year (got the insanely priced early bird price of 50% off).

My back ground is primarily roller hockey only. I was using Alkali RPD Shift+ skates previously, so purchasing the R1 skate was an easy choice, in regard to the fitment of the boot is the same (just a lot stiffer) as what i was used to. This meant the only real thing i had to get used to was rocker. 

The first skate was weird, the rocker is subtle, but can catch you off guard at first. However, as you get used to feeling over having a rocker (remember- ive only played roller), its fantastic, my skating felt incredibly smooth. Transitions from forward to backwards, feel awesome. Its almost hard to put your finger on, but the skating feels enhanced, and buttery smooth. Its hard to put into words. The grip is insane too ( i know a contributing factor is the wheels) but the extra contact through the rocker, really does enhance grip ( i actually want to run some harder wheels and see how they fair). 

A friend of mine bought a pair too. His experience has been positive. His background is more ice then roller, and he admitted he felt much more at home on the R1s. 

• Like 3

Hey there could you tell me mounting dimensions eg mounting points that rivet to the boot want to conver some ccm jetspeed skates but under the blade runner there is cut outs in the boot guess for air flo so need to know if they will fit before I buy thanks

On 9/2/2020 at 1:26 PM, Sprungdownunder said:

Simply put the 01 feels better to skate around & train with in the yard or on the street & has a more movement.

The R1 feels like a lowered sports car holds corners like your on train tracks & best used on a rink where you need that sort of performance.

The bushing system is a similar concept on both but the R1 uses the top & bottom Part chassis as the base for the rocker limits via inserts.

There is more movement in the O1 then in the R1 with the most rocker insert.

They definitely feel different.

This has just put me off buying a set, it is why I turned to Marsblades in the first place. As I wanted to turn like I was on ice skates. By the sounds of it that statement they sound as rigid as normal inlines