Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PetterErlandsson

Ask me anything about the Marsblade R1

On 4/8/2022 at 10:45 PM, Left Wing King said:

This has just put me off buying a set, it is why I turned to Marsblades in the first place. As I wanted to turn like I was on ice skates. By the sounds of it that statement they sound as rigid as normal inlines

The O1's are the nearest experience to ice that your ever going to get , my reference to the R1 was that they are tuned for Roller hockey & they have a different feel to them.

Buy the O1's & you won't regret it.

2 hours ago, Left Wing King said:

I have the 01s, but I'm playing roller more seriously now, so I was wondering if it was worth swapping to the R1s

As someone who has made the switch, I think its worth it. The stability and weight reduction was a noticeable improvement with the R1 chassis. You also "sit" lower on the R1 chassis (which probably contributes the aforementioned stability).

• Like 1

My R1´s are brand new on my TF7´s. Didn´t skate on them, just rolling around some meters in my flat.

Now I have some questions. How tight should the M6 bolt be? Do I have to stop when the washer touches the bushing, or when I can feel that the bolt has a metallic contact?

Should the toe area of the insert have full contact with the lower chassis when I´m pressing the wheels towards the boot by hand(H8-T8), or has the bushing a breaking in period?

Edited by hockeydad3

The center R1 bolt should be tight as it doesn’t affect the lower chassis in the same way the O1 bolt does. 

Not sure I understand your second question

6 hours ago, Westside said:

Not sure I understand your second question

When the bolt is tight, the chassis doesn't make a full movement to the end of the insert at the toe. This only happens when the bolt is not tight. 

I still don't get what you mean. Maybe you can post a photo/video? 
When you have the skate on the ground can you rocker it backward and forward? If so, that's how it should be. Nothing should be touching

Edited by Westside

I recieved an answer from Marsblade:

"... When you are fastening the chassis' parts by screwing the M6 bolt into the pre-mounted T-nut, as soon as you feel the M6 bolt come to a stop DO NOT continue screwing as the chassis is fastened. ...When you have the chassis in your hands, you should definitely be able to feel/see the rocking motion of the chassis. However, you won't be able to feel the maximum rocking motion in your hands as the skates needs your whole body weight to work properly."

I'm looking at putting a set of R1 Mars blades on a pair of 8.5 EE CCM AS1, the Mars blades sizing chart suggests 8.5 is the last size that a medium chassis fits on. Would a large chassis fit??  Or will it massively over hang? 

The reason I ask is we had a set of medium 01's which were mounted on some 7.5 EE's (again the largest boot size) and they felt undersized. 

Thanks

12 minutes ago, Cyberoller said:

I'm looking at putting a set of R1 Mars blades on a pair of 8.5 EE CCM AS1, the Mars blades sizing chart suggests 8.5 is the last size that a medium chassis fits on. Would a large chassis fit??  Or will it massively over hang? 

The reason I ask is we had a set of medium 01's which were mounted on some 7.5 EE's (again the largest boot size) and they felt undersized. 

Thanks

I have a pair of Large R1s on a size 8.5D vapor APX and I have a slight overhang not really noticeable. I think you would be ok with a large on a 8.5EE CCM. I can put a tape measure on the R1s when I get home if you would like an exact measurement.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cyberoller said:

If you could measure that would be great! A picture of the overhang would be great too! 

Do you play competitive in line on the R1's and how do you find them. 

Thanks

I’ll measure when I get home and I’ll see what I can do for a pic.

I prefer the O1 as I don’t play competitive roller and have my set to my oldest son. Both of my sons have both the O1 and R1 and they only use the R1s for anything competitive.

The best way I can describe is the R1s are very smooth in turns and not as “on rails” feeling as traditional chassis’. I just prefer the extra motion I get from the O1s but I also prefer ice over roller.

9 hours ago, Cyberoller said:

If you could measure that would be great! A picture of the overhang would be great too! 

I have the R1 large measurement at just over 10 3/4” in length.

I can’t get a pic to load but the one skate with the over hang is a mounting issue. if the chassis was moved back about 2mm the R1 would cover the entire outsole of the boot.

• Thanks 1

@PetterErlandsson & @Marsblade - thanks for taking the time to answer questions!! It has been extremely helpful to me several years later...

I don't know if this thread's still being tracked, but...what's the R1 radius insert that closest resembles what you'd feeling using an O1 chassis?

...and approximately how similar would R1 and O1 skating experiences feel, while using this radius?

21 minutes ago, Hawks18 said:

@PetterErlandsson & @Marsblade - thanks for taking the time to answer questions!! It has been extremely helpful to me several years later...

I don't know if this thread's still being tracked, but...what's the R1 radius insert that closest resembles what you'd feeling using an O1 chassis?

...and approximately how similar would R1 and O1 skating experiences feel, while using this radius?

Did you read the first page of this thread? Believe what you're asking was covered throughout that page.

If not, here's another thread where Petter discusses the difference in the R1 radius compared to the O1

The feel of the two really depends on how tight you keep the center bolt of the O1. I used to keep the O1 bolt as loose as can be. That can't really be replicated with the R1 as even the insert with the most movement (H5-T8) doesn't rocker as much. Now, with that said, I did an 'experiment' when I initially got the R1s and wore both chassis at the same time. The difference wasn't as drastic as I would have thought

3 minutes ago, Westside said:

Did you read the first page of this thread? Believe what you're asking was covered throughout that page.

I appreciate your response, @Westside. I'll check out your additional references.

Yes, I did read the first page and every subsequent page of this thread - it does detail different feel and experience between O1 and R1 throughout.

Unfortunately, I am looking for very particular information...I'd like to gather insight about one R1 radius insert and how it corresponds to an O1 default setup, specifically.

Example: R1 + H5-T8 = O1. It may be this simple, but I'm not an expert and that's why I'm trying to ask one. 🙂

22 minutes ago, Westside said:

If not, here's another thread where Petter discusses the difference in the R1 radius compared to the O1

Specifically, this is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish...would be nice to purchase one single pair of blades for my little guy and simply adjust / swap between R1 radius inserts for multi-purpose skates.

On 9/7/2020 at 12:47 PM, Westside said:

Sweet looking setup!

But an insert could be made to create a single radius? Like say 5ft heel and toe? It seems (on here at least) you have a number of individuals that already own the O1 and are buying the R1. If there was an insert to make the R1 feel more like the O1, some people (myself included) could get rid of multiple pairs of skates and simply swap inserts when they want/need a different rocker feeling. I'd love to have a single pair of skates that I could use for off-ice training then simply pop in a different insert if I wanted a different feeling for game play or casual skating 

@Westside - Thanks again for posting additional reference...I'll continue to scan through them!!

On 1/26/2024 at 6:48 PM, Hawks18 said:

Hey man, Great questions! The O1 has an H4-T4 rocker radius. There's currently not that exact option for R1. H5-T8 would be the closest. But there's stuff cooking here so at Marsblade so stay tuned for updates in this area during the year 😉 //Per Mars

On 1/29/2024 at 1:30 AM, Marsblade said:

Hey man, Great questions! The O1 has an H4-T4 rocker radius. There's currently not that exact option for R1. H5-T8 would be the closest. But there's stuff cooking here so at Marsblade so stay tuned for updates in this area during the year 😉 //Per Mars

Awesome!! Thanks for the response, @Marsblade. Keep up the great work over there...as a lifelong hockey player, these blades and this technology looks amazing!!

I'll keep an eye out for additional updates - can't wait to purchase some skates for my little guy. 🙂

15 hours ago, Hawks18 said:

Awesome!! Thanks for the response, @Marsblade. Keep up the great work over there...as a lifelong hockey player, these blades and this technology looks amazing!!

I'll keep an eye out for additional updates - can't wait to purchase some skates for my little guy. 🙂

Thanks man! Will do! 🙂 //Per

5 hours ago, busdriver said:

Ok.  
If the 01 is like ice skating how does the  i2 ice holder feel vs the 01?

The rocker movement is much more subtle on the I2s vs the O1s as they are designed for performance vs the O1s that are designed for training. The I2s only have the rocker in the back part, the front is rigid to provide firm support when pushing off. You are still able to get a significant rocker movement with the I2s but there's always that stability in the front, so that's a significant difference between the two. Let me know if you want me to elaborate or if you have other questions. //Per

5 hours ago, busdriver said:

Sweet. Thanks! 
Any tips for the first skate on the I2?

Im taking the I2s out tomorrow for the maiden mars voyage. 

Nice! Just make sure to test the different inserts as they feel very different. Some guys forgets this. Make sure to challenge yourself in turns, crossovers and trusting the edges more than normal. Also, possibly going for a less sharp hollow as the more steel on the ice will help you with more bite. Some guys feel it too much bite with the same hollow. Less sharp is of course better for glide. //Per