Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Beflar

Forsberg pads for lace bite for lazy people like me.

Buy gel pad seen in pic below but cut the middle part out.  The two side pieces have Velcro on the back and will stay there.  BOOM.  Forsberg pads for lazy people like me...  It works.  Your welcome.

elite-lace-bite-gel-pad-5.jpg

It works if you have a good neutral bio mechanical alignment and your boot fits well. As soon as either or both of those conditions aren't met your foot will rotate in the boot and this forces the tongue to twist to the side, even with these fitted. This is why I always had to tape my pads to my ankle, regardless of what else was going on they were always sitting in the right spot.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 8:43 AM, SkateWorksPNW said:

I don't think these have Velcro, they have an adhesive. 

They have Velcro.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 4:17 PM, Vet88 said:

It works if you have a good neutral bio mechanical alignment and your boot fits well. As soon as either or both of those conditions aren't met your foot will rotate in the boot and this forces the tongue to twist to the side, even with these fitted. This is why I always had to tape my pads to my ankle, regardless of what else was going on they were always sitting in the right spot.

Not sure what you mean. The Velcro stops them from shifting and since your tendon is in the middle it is basically locked in once laced up.  They are pretty thick gel pads as well.  Once you cut out the middle part it gives a lot of room for the tendon.

Once you have them set up they are just a part of your skate.  Mine have stayed there for a few years now.

Either way the Forsberg idea is the best solution for bad lace bite and this is the fastest way to deal it as it takes 1 minute to set up.  Plus it works.  Then you can add other things if it is really bad like including a gel pad on top of the tendon.  So Forsberg and gel pad.  If that doesn't fix it...  Wow...

I wish I knew what caused the lace bite in the first place.  I was doing fine for a long time then bang hit me hard and fast and never really went away...

Edited by Beflar

9 hours ago, Beflar said:

They have Velcro.

Not sure what you mean. The Velcro stops them from shifting and since your tendon is in the middle it is basically locked in once laced up.  They are pretty thick gel pads as well.  Once you cut out the middle part it gives a lot of room for the tendon.

Once you have them set up they are just a part of your skate.  Mine have stayed there for a few years now.

He is saying that if you have certain skating mechanics, or if your skates don’t fit, the tongue can still slip to the side. Even though these are adhesive and “part of the skate,” the tongue can still move in the boot. 

I don’t think he’s saying they are bad products and necessarily won’t work, but rather that initial steps people should take are to make sure skates fit correctly, and then figure out if your feet pronate or supinate. 

Lacebite is often a symptom, not just a problem in and of itself. So, even if someone can alleviate the lacebite, there might be other problems unaddressed. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Beflar said:

I wish I knew what caused the lace bite in the first place.  I was doing fine for a long time then bang hit me hard and fast and never really went away...

@start_todaynailed it. I have tried gluing / velcroing a pad to the inside of the tongue and found the tongue still twisted on me in the boot which caused the edge of the pad to press against the tendon and hence made things worse. Hence I always taped my Forsberg pads to my ankle and did this for many many years, 7 days a week.

I can tell you what causes lace bite, pressure from the laces. As to the reason why, this is debatable but generally it is down to volume. Lace bite is caused by micro damage from pressure, every time you skate there is damage occurring to the sheaf of the tendon and then the tendon itself, balancing this is the repair process that goes on when you aren't skating. Over time it builds up, factor in aging, boots getting older / changing shape/ less supportive and any increase in skating and then you finally hit the tipping point. What I can guarantee you is that if you skate with your laces undone / removed you will not get lace bite, ever.

• Like 1

When I was a kid I suffered from pretty bad lace bite, which would leave me almost unable to walk for days after a weekend tournament.  My father eventually made a pad out of cloth and sponge, that was similar in shape to a Forsberg pad.  He then stitched the pad to the bottom of my shinpad, so that it hung down inside my skate tongue, but wouldn't shift if the tongue started to move off to the side.  It actually helped keep the tongue in place as well.  Totally cured my lace bite, and I used those pads all the way up to Jr.

On 4/28/2020 at 12:55 AM, Beflar said:

They have Velcro.

Either way the Forsberg idea is the best solution for bad lace bite and this is the fastest way to deal it as it takes 1 minute to set up.  Plus it works.  Then you can add other things if it is really bad like including a gel pad on top of the tendon.  So Forsberg and gel pad.  If that doesn't fix it...  Wow...

I think we know it's caused by excess pressure on the tendon leading to rubbing/damage and inflammation. You can rehab the tendon through band-resistance exercise and rest.

It's cured by increasing the volume in your skate so the laces don't cut into or apply as much pressure on the tendon. This can be done by switching skates to a deeper boot (pencil test), or installing lace eyelet extenders to increase the facing of the boot at the point of the pressure/contact.

Everything else is just masking the issue or a band-aid.

colins

Edited by colins
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Vet88 said:

@start_todaynailed it. I have tried gluing / velcroing a pad to the inside of the tongue and found the tongue still twisted on me in the boot which caused the edge of the pad to press against the tendon and hence made things worse. Hence I always taped my Forsberg pads to my ankle and did this for many many years, 7 days a week.

I can tell you what causes lace bite, pressure from the laces. As to the reason why, this is debatable but generally it is down to volume. Lace bite is caused by micro damage from pressure, every time you skate there is damage occurring to the sheaf of the tendon and then the tendon itself, balancing this is the repair process that goes on when you aren't skating. Over time it builds up, factor in aging, boots getting older / changing shape/ less supportive and any increase in skating and then you finally hit the tipping point. What I can guarantee you is that if you skate with your laces undone / removed you will not get lace bite, ever.

Ya I hit that tipping point alright.  Just the left skate.  Now I have every trick in the book to give the left skate more volume.  Pads as described, changing the way I lace them up, even added a plastic extension piece for more forward flex etc.  Now my left boot is... "perfect"? LOL....   Right boot is fine BTW...