Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jbear

Matching shell size with Super Tacks Girdle

Hopefully this thread will answer some questions for me and help anyone else who goes down this path. 

My journey to find a girdle is documented in another thread.  I chose a Super Tacks and hopefully soon I'll actually get to skate in it!  But not too soon cuz we don't wanna have to go through this again 🤣

Anyway, the unique thing about Super Tacks girdles (no idea if this applies to ST pants...it does to the HP45)...they run quite small.  I am in a large (like the HP45)...in Warrior...I'm a medium and still need suspenders. 

Ordered a PP90C shell and while it is a great shell (well-made, extra padding, leg zips)  large was big.  It was like a 5 year old trying on daddy's pants big!  Sent it back for a medium...bullseye 😎

Here are my current questions going forward: 

1-How will other brands of girdle-specific shells fit? Since the ST is smaller...will I want a medium?  I assume an actual ST CCM brand girdle shell would be a large since they come new with one.

2-Would a size small pant-specific girdle work? 

3-I'm thinking about baselayer now...I am going to try McDavid and Nike padded shorts w/cup under, but...think it's going to be too hot with a Shock Doc underneath? I would love to not need a garter, but without the SDoc...nothing for sox.

Any other words of wisdom regarding girdle usage...fire away.

Hopefully we'll all be too busy to hang on this forum shortly cuz we'll be skating.  I went from 6 days a week to...this🤬 I cannot wait! But I will👍

Edited by Jbear

HI, I have these girdles, and I wear 9k shells on top of them. They fit the same size as girdles, but I had to remake the way the shells are attached to the pants.

Thank you for responding!
I found the PP90 needs to be a medium for my large ST girdle.  I hope the same will hold for the 9k...I ordered one in medium although it was pretty cheap.  Sure would be nice if sizes were standardized.  For my CCM large pants...I need a large pant shell, but for my medium Warrior pants shell...I also need a large shell.  Don't get me started on how it's possible that I am a large CCM and a medium Warrior (which is still borderline large on me).  Top it off...where I am...one hockey shop.  I'll give them credit...they have a ton of stuff and they're super-cool people (shout out to North Georgia Hockey), but...they can't carry everything.  Even if they could...I ain't goin' out yet.  

Can you explain what you mean by changing how they attach to the pants?

Girdles are a whole new ball game for me.   All I've been able to do is try it on at home...looking forward to seeing how they play!

Both these girdles are from the same line. 9K was the original model (2007 or 2009, I don't remember). Super Tacks girdle is a newer version, lighter and a bit slimmer. The shells are also similar, but not identical.

The key differences are two:

1. The way the shells are attached to the pants. The straps are different and in different places. So I had to attach three straps to the ST girdle in order for the 9K shell to fit.

2. The way the kidneys protection works in shells is different, its more massive in 9k shells but is only at the sides, while the protection at ST shells is circular but narrower. Not a big deal I guess.

Got it...thank you.  Mine should be here today (the 9K)...I get to check it out.  I didn't even know the shells attached...I thought you just pulled 'em over and cinched 'em up.  Thanks for that too!

Edited by Jbear

Not to be dense but...I don't see how the shell attaches to the girdle.  I only have the PP90 currently, but all I can see to do is pull it on and tighten the belt.

Howdy,

2 hours ago, Jbear said:

Not to be dense but...I don't see how the shell attaches to the girdle.  I only have the PP90 currently, but all I can see to do is pull it on and tighten the belt.

I wear my girdle as a wrap (Tacks 7092), so I don't keep the shell attached.  I do exactly what you describe... Put on the girdle, then pull up the shell and cinch up the belt.  Its not attached to the girdle at all.

Haven't been pantsed on the ice yet.  🙂

Mark

• Like 1

7 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I wear my girdle as a wrap (Tacks 7092), so I don't keep the shell attached.  I do exactly what you describe... Put on the girdle, then pull up the shell and cinch up the belt.  Its not attached to the girdle at all.

Haven't been pantsed on the ice yet.  🙂

Mark

I've never attached a shell to a girdle with anything other than the belt, seems a bit counter intuitive for a girdle since one of the benefits of a girdle is being able to swap shells easily.  I've been a girdle wearer since the 90's and never saw the velcro loops til maybe 5-6 years ago and just can't see any benefit to them, I sort of equate them to as important as velcro straps on shin guards... useless.

I have the medium ST girdle. I have been wearing pro stock PPPTK large shells over it. I had a PP90 in medium, but it was baggy. I haven't tried a medium PPPTK shell over it yet, since I haven't found one in black. In my opinion, the PPPTK shells are the best for this girdle. The velcro tabs and belt keep it aligned perfectly. My only complaint is that the zippers seem to work themselves up through a game. But I also wear the leg pads a bit loose, so that may play a part in it. Not a huge deal, I just pull the zippers back down on the bench, but it can get annoying over time.

Will check that out...thanks.  I've gotten a couple of medium PP90's, which seem to be a good fit and one SuperTacks large that I haven't tried yet, but...you'd think since it came with that girdle...it should fit.  

On 5/19/2020 at 11:19 AM, Jbear said:

Will check that out...thanks.  I've gotten a couple of medium PP90's, which seem to be a good fit and one SuperTacks large that I haven't tried yet, but...you'd think since it came with that girdle...it should fit.  

Did you ever try a PPTK medium on the ST large?

I'm a 36" waist. I have both the 9k medium (tight in the butt initially but has since loosened up) and ST large (thigh opening and waist velcro barely fits) girdles.

PP90 large shell was massive on the 9k, PP90 medium feels much more appropriate.

JS girdle shell in medium is a tight fit (which I don't mind) on the ST large.

PPTK large on the ST large has a looser pant-like feel (doesn't feel massive though) with about 2 inches of overhang (sitting on the bench) in length when setting the thighs to about a -1.5 (thanks to oversized velcro landing pads as I'm 5'5", and these are the shortest thigh length I've had on a pant/girdle for my 36" waist), and, of the 2 sets of the shell's attachment loops on the girdle, I use the lower/belt set (otherwise, the shell is too short when using the upper set).

I'm wondering if a PPTK medium would take up some of the slack without feeling restrictive and making the length too short?

And for those curious, comparing shell material quality, the PP90 feels excellent, PPTK feels good, and JS feels pretty cheap.

Edited by mshman