Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Lithuanian_dangler207

One finger hitting gusset

Hey guys im getting a new pair of gloves for the first time in 10 years (been playing with a pair or 13 inch eagles I had in high school). When trying on different pairs I noticed that in every single pair the end of my ring finger is pushing against the gusset but none of my other fingers are. 14" gloves fit me perfectly except for this one issue. If the gloves have stretchy mesh gussets I honestly don't even notice it but it is very noticable in nash gussets. My question is has anyone else experienced this...and will a nash gusset break in after a while and stretch a little bit? 

My worry would be less about stretching gusset, and more about the end of that finger not being protected. And if your ring finger is pushing it out, I bet other fingers are very close. 

A few years ago in the playoffs, Crosby slashed someone’s stick (Mark Methot?) and it road up and Methot’s finger like exploded from the straight on impact  

I went from 14” to 15” a few years ago because my fingers were right at the edge of most 14s, and I realized if I went up that extra inch my fingers wouldn’t get bumped as much. 

23 minutes ago, start_today said:

My worry would be less about stretching gusset, and more about the end of that finger not being protected. And if your ring finger is pushing it out, I bet other fingers are very close. 

A few years ago in the playoffs, Crosby slashed someone’s stick (Mark Methot?) and it road up and Methot’s finger like exploded from the straight on impact  

I went from 14” to 15” a few years ago because my fingers were right at the edge of most 14s, and I realized if I went up that extra inch my fingers wouldn’t get bumped as much. 

I'm less concerned about protection and more about mobility. I only play beer league now and have played the last several years with my bare fingers exposed due to the condition of my mitts haha. My main issue with moving up to 15 is lack of mobility and they just feel overall too big.  Is your username a GB reference?

I didn’t notice a change in mobility. I tend toward tighter/“anatomical” fitting gloves like supremes, and usually buy the 2nd price point down. But, your experience may vary. 

Yes it is a GB reference! There’s another guy who posts here also as another permutation of this name, but with a bunch of Xs thrown in. 

1 hour ago, start_today said:

I had this happen to me this past January. Went right through my gloves. Not fun. Nurse said, "This is what we call a partial amputation."

1 hour ago, Lithuanian_dangler207 said:

I'm less concerned about protection and more about mobility. I only play beer league now and have played the last several years with my bare fingers exposed due to the condition of my mitts haha.

It's your life, but as some who just went through a broken/partially amputated pinky tip from beer league, count yourself lucky and get gloves that protect you properly. I was wearing gloves and the slash went right through the padding in my glove. I've been playing 35+ years, and this is the first time anything like this has happened, but I don't want to know what it would have been like if I wasn't wearing gloves. It's been four months, and though the bones are healed up, the torn flesh still doesn't feel or look right. 

If you're worried about clunky gloves, I'd suggest asking your local hockey shop to add some padding to the top of your ring finger.

Any ways, I'll shut up now. 

That's what know leaning towards right now. Last time I bought gloves was 2006 and everything was a 4-roll now there are so many options for fit it's crazy. I'm looking at supreme 1s and ccm hgtk for the anatomical/taper fit. The issue with the 15" is the cuff ends up hitting my elbow pads and they feel too long in the fingers.  I got a pair of 1s coming in the mail tomorrow, fingers crossed their a little longer in the fingers than vapors. 

1 hour ago, puckpilot said:

I had this happen to me this past January. Went right through my gloves. Not fun. Nurse said, "This is what we call a partial amputation."

It's your life, but as some who just went through a broken/partially amputated pinky tip from beer league, count yourself lucky and get gloves that protect you properly. I was wearing gloves and the slash went right through the padding in my glove. I've been playing 35+ years, and this is the first time anything like this has happened, but I don't want to know what it would have been like if I wasn't wearing gloves. It's been four months, and though the bones are healed up, the torn flesh still doesn't feel or look right. 

If you're worried about clunky gloves, I'd suggest asking your local hockey shop to add some padding to the top of your ring finger.

Any ways, I'll shut up now. 

Jesus man I guess your right ...it only takes one time / a freak accident for something like that to happen.  Thanks for sharing that with me!  Maybe I'll see if I can get the cuffs shortened on a pair of 15" gloves.